Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007 - Ubuntu ; My college installed Office 2007 and all I am getting from the College is DOCX file extensions in my e-mail. I found odf-converter in an RPM file on a Novell site. I converted this file to A Debian package using ...

  1. Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007

    My college installed Office 2007 and all I am getting from the College is
    DOCX file extensions in my e-mail.

    I found odf-converter in an RPM file on a Novell site. I converted this
    file to A Debian package using Alien. I installed it on one machine and it
    works just fine. I transferred the .deb package to another machine
    and all I get when I try to open the file is Read-Error Data could not be
    read from the file.

    I have both machines loaded with Ubuntu 7.04 and Open Office 2.2.

    The only difference was that one machine was loaded with the live CD and
    the other was loaded with the alternative CD. Could this be the problem?
    Maybe they loaded slightly different? Will Ubuntu be releasing a converter
    soon?

    Thanks
    Klutzier than most

  2. Re: Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007

    * Klutzier than most wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > My college installed Office 2007 and all I am getting from the College is
    > DOCX file extensions in my e-mail.

    > I found odf-converter in an RPM file on a Novell site. I converted this
    > file to A Debian package using Alien. I installed it on one machine and it
    > works just fine. I transferred the .deb package to another machine
    > and all I get when I try to open the file is Read-Error Data could not be
    > read from the file.

    Rebuild the deb on the target system.

    > I have both machines loaded with Ubuntu 7.04 and Open Office 2.2.

    > The only difference was that one machine was loaded with the live CD and
    > the other was loaded with the alternative CD. Could this be the problem?

    Could be some missing libs or some such.

    --
    David

    The only time a dog gets complimented is when he doesn't do anything.
    -- C. Schulz

  3. Re: Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:50:03 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * Klutzier than most wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> My college installed Office 2007 and all I am getting from the College is
    >> DOCX file extensions in my e-mail.

    >> I found odf-converter in an RPM file on a Novell site. I converted this
    >> file to A Debian package using Alien. I installed it on one machine and it
    >> works just fine. I transferred the .deb package to another machine
    >> and all I get when I try to open the file is Read-Error Data could not be
    >> read from the file.

    > Rebuild the deb on the target system.

    Thanks... I did download the RPM and do all the steps on the second
    computer from start to finish.. Thanks for the input.

    >> I have both machines loaded with Ubuntu 7.04 and Open Office 2.2.

    >> The only difference was that one machine was loaded with the live CD
    >> and the other was loaded with the alternative CD. Could this be the
    >> problem?

    > Could be some missing libs or some such.

    What would be the command to list all the Libs? I would like to compare
    the 2 computers... Great idea... Thanks from Klutzier than most.

  4. Re: Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007

    * Klutzier than most wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]

    >> Could be some missing libs or some such.

    > What would be the command to list all the Libs?

    Sorry, not sure

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    "Professional certification for car people may sound like an
    oxymoron." -The Wall Street Journal, page B1, Tuesday, July 17,
    1990.

  5. Re: Opening DOCX files from MS Office 2007

    On 06 Sep 2007 23:16:34 GMT Klutzier than most
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:50:03 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    > > * Klutzier than most wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > >> I have both machines loaded with Ubuntu 7.04 and Open Office 2.2.

    > >> The only difference was that one machine was loaded with the live
    > >> CD and the other was loaded with the alternative CD. Could this be
    > >> the problem?

    > > Could be some missing libs or some such.

    > What would be the command to list all the Libs? I would like to
    > compare the 2 computers... Great idea... Thanks from Klutzier than
    > most.

    Try all three of these and see which one you like best. Replace "foo"
    with the name of the deb you installed:

    apt-cache show foo

    dpkg -L foo

    apt-cache showpkg foo