Adding Comments to ogg files? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Adding Comments to ogg files? - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and counterintuitive. I ...

  1. Adding Comments to ogg files?

    Hi,

    I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    counterintuitive.

    I am now using Easytag but still chasing a CLI method, although I
    will readily admit that in this case it looks like the GUI beats the
    CLI hands down :-)

    Any thoughts / suggestions?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  2. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    * andrew wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hi,

    > I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    > line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    > vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    > counterintuitive.

    > I am now using Easytag but still chasing a CLI method, although I
    > will readily admit that in this case it looks like the GUI beats the
    > CLI hands down :-)

    > Any thoughts / suggestions?

    Do you know perl?

    libogg-vorbis-header-perl
    libogg-vorbis-header-pureperl-perl

    Or you can have a look at:

    cwcdr

    --
    David

    Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  3. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    * andrew :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    > line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    > vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    > counterintuitive.
    >
    > I am now using Easytag but still chasing a CLI method, although I
    > will readily admit that in this case it looks like the GUI beats the
    > CLI hands down :-)
    >
    > Any thoughts / suggestions?
    >
    > Andrew

    Before using EasyTAG myself, I used to use a Perl-based tagger/renamer.
    I can no longer recall the name of this program. However, lltag appears
    to be very similar in function and may fit the bill.

    Package: lltag
    lltag is a command-line tool manipulating MP3 ID3, OGG or FLAC tags. It
    may be used to tag multiples files at once by comparing their filename
    or pathname against a configurable list of formats, or by getting tags
    from the CDDB database. lltag may also rename files according to a
    configurable filename format. The interface has been designed to be as
    automatic, efficient and smart as possible.

    Homepage: http://home.gna.org/lltag/

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  4. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    On 2007-09-06, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * andrew :

    [...]

    >> I am now using Easytag but still chasing a CLI method, although I
    >> will readily admit that in this case it looks like the GUI beats the
    >> CLI hands down :-)

    [..]

    > Before using EasyTAG myself, I used to use a Perl-based tagger/renamer.
    > I can no longer recall the name of this program. However, lltag appears
    > to be very similar in function and may fit the bill.

    Thanks for this, and to the previous poster who suggested the per
    tagger. Had a look at lltag and I am not convinced that it is a _huge_
    improvement over vorbiscomment.

    What I might do is work a little with the 'external file' method
    suggested in the vorbiscomment man pages:

    vorbiscomment -l file.ogg > file.txt
    [edit the comments in file.txt to your satisfaction]
    vorbiscomment -w -c file.txt file.ogg newfile.ogg

    Looks like a fair bit of manual work but should give me a solid
    understanding of ogg comments :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  5. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    * andrew :
    [ ... ]
    > What I might do is work a little with the 'external file' method
    > suggested in the vorbiscomment man pages:
    >
    > vorbiscomment -l file.ogg > file.txt
    > [edit the comments in file.txt to your satisfaction]
    > vorbiscomment -w -c file.txt file.ogg newfile.ogg
    >
    > Looks like a fair bit of manual work but should give me a solid
    > understanding of ogg comments :-)

    That could easily be scripted for greater convenience. If you haven't
    gotten into shell scripting, this could be a great project to get
    you started. :-) It was the desire for a program to automatically
    rename MP3s based on ID3 tags that got me into learning Perl.

    The following script is not ideal but is enough to give you an idea of
    what can be done. It assumes that the environment variable $EDITOR is
    set to your preferred text editor.

    #!/bin/sh

    file=$1
    newfile="$file.new.$$"
    comment="comment.txt.$$"

    vorbiscomment -l "$file" > "$comment"

    if test -n "$EDITOR" && $EDITOR "$comment"
    then
    vorbiscomment -w -c "$comment" "$file" "$newfile" &&
    mv "$newfile" "$file"
    fi

    rm -f "$comment" "$newfile"

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  6. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    On 2007-09-05, andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    > line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    > vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    > counterintuitive.

    Decide how you want to use it and write a wrapper script to
    accomplish that.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  7. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    On 2007-09-06, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2007-09-05, andrew wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    >> line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    >> vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    >> counterintuitive.

    > Decide how you want to use it and write a wrapper script to
    > accomplish that.

    Hmmm... I actually have 'A practical guide to Linux commands editors
    and shell programming' on the shelf. Thanks for the push in the right
    direction.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  8. Re: Adding Comments to ogg files?

    On 2007-09-05, andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been working with ogg vorbis files and was keen for a command
    > line method for adding comments to the files. I have tried
    > vorbiscomment but I have found it more than a little clunky and
    > counterintuitive.

    Just to reply to my own post after some deeper investigation:
    vorbiscomment _is_ a little clunky but of course it is far easier to
    add comments at the time of encoding, using oggenc, and use
    vorbiscomment only for repair of mistakes. I am learning slowly :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html