Pan goes off-line during download of attachment - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Pan goes off-line during download of attachment - Ubuntu ; I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds (not entirely ...

  1. Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    OK.

    I assume this is not normal behavior (a few downloads would result in RSI
    from the excessive clicking!) and that I have done something wrong with
    the set-up (although there wasn't a lot of that!). I append a typical
    section from the event log, which appears to say that I am not recognized!
    Any clues to investigating / correcting this would be most appreciated!
    Level of 'techiness' suitable for a greenhorn at Linux (although I like
    to think I'm passable with computer technology in general)

    Pan is now offline. Please see "File|Event Log" and correct the problem,
    then use "File|Work Online" to continue. Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Error:
    501 bad authentication Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Unable to connect to
    "news.btinternet.com": 501 bad authentication

    Many thanks

    Keith

  2. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    * keith wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    > works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    > attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    > (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    > attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    > OK.

    > I assume this is not normal behavior (a few downloads would result in RSI
    > from the excessive clicking!) and that I have done something wrong with
    > the set-up (although there wasn't a lot of that!). I append a typical
    > section from the event log, which appears to say that I am not recognized!
    > Any clues to investigating / correcting this would be most appreciated!
    > Level of 'techiness' suitable for a greenhorn at Linux (although I like
    > to think I'm passable with computer technology in general)

    > Pan is now offline. Please see "File|Event Log" and correct the problem,
    > then use "File|Work Online" to continue. Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Error:
    > 501 bad authentication Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Unable to connect to
    > "news.btinternet.com": 501 bad authentication

    Have you tried with a different reader to confirm its Pan and not your
    ISP/NNTP?

    --
    David

    American by birth; Texan by the grace of God.

  3. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    keith schreef:
    > I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    > works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    > attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    > (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    > attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    > OK.
    >
    > I assume this is not normal behavior (a few downloads would result in RSI
    > from the excessive clicking!) and that I have done something wrong with
    > the set-up (although there wasn't a lot of that!). I append a typical
    > section from the event log, which appears to say that I am not recognized!
    > Any clues to investigating / correcting this would be most appreciated!
    > Level of 'techiness' suitable for a greenhorn at Linux (although I like
    > to think I'm passable with computer technology in general)
    >

    > Pan is now offline. Please see "File|Event Log" and correct the problem,
    > then use "File|Work Online" to continue. Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Error:
    > 501 bad authentication Wed Sep 5 17:57:45 2007 - Unable to connect to
    > "news.btinternet.com": 501 bad authentication
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Keith

    Does the news server maybe have a max. no. of connections and you are
    inadvertently exceeding it?

  4. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, keith had the audacity to say that:

    > I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    > works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    > attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    > (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    > attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    > OK.

    I was never able to get Pan to reliably dl binaries under Xandros. It would
    simply mark all the articles *saved* but nothing would be downloaded. I
    haven't tried it under Ubuntu.

    *R* *H*

    --
    If only one of Charles Chaplin's films could be preserved, ``City
    Lights'' (1931) would come the closest to representing all the

  5. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:48:31 +0000:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, keith had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    >> works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    >> attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    >> (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    >> attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    >> OK.
    >>

    > I was never able to get Pan to reliably dl binaries under Xandros. It would
    > simply mark all the articles *saved* but nothing would be downloaded. I
    > haven't tried it under Ubuntu.
    >
    > *R* *H*

    I've used Pan reliably for several years. There are attributes of Pan
    which I do not like, mainly the inability to post binaries. However, once
    set up to a reliable news server it is virtually bullet proof. Now, it
    does "burp" and revert to off line if the response times of the news
    server are too slow. You can set that in preferences. Also, it will
    revert to off line if there it receives a "too many connections" message
    from the server. I use teranews's free server and it allows one
    connection. I set Pan to one connection and there is no problem. If set
    to more than one, Pan will invariably revert to off line. The text
    processing capability for responding to a post or making a new one is
    rudimentary and has a number of "word processing" flaws, but even it if
    doesn't compose the text correctly as to alignment, spacing and so forth,
    it is usable. Pan does a great job of saving what ever I tell it to save
    in a predetermined folder. Also yEnc and the various methods of splitting files over a number of
    posts is also taken care of without user intervention. All in all I
    recommend Pan. It is too bad, however, that the developer has evidently
    lost interest in making Pan a full news reader with binary posting
    capability.

    YMMV, HTH, LSMFT

    Dave

  6. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    It
    and revert to off line if the response times of the
    > news server are too slow. You can set that in preferences.

    How exactly? I can't find that setting/option.

    Richard.

  7. Re: Pan goes off-line during download of attachment

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 06:17:40 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > keith schreef:
    >> I've recently set up Ubuntu, and am using Pan as a newsreader. Everything
    >> works fine, except when I try to save an article with a binary
    >> attachment (MP3). Then Pan keeps going off-line every five to ten seconds
    >> (not entirely consistent delay). If I keep clicking "work online", the
    >> attachment download and save continues successfully, and the saved file is
    >> OK.
    >>SNIP
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Keith

    > Does the news server maybe have a max. no. of connections and you are
    > inadvertently exceeding it?

    After trying the suggestions, it does appear that the BTI news server was
    not happy with the three connections that the default install requested.
    I now have the options set for two connections and it all seems to be
    working OK (including a glitch I hadn't consciously noticed in that after
    requesting 'headers', I had had to put the reader back online to read any
    'bodies' that I was interested in.

    Many thanks for the help - much slicker news-reading now! 8-)

    (Sorry for the delay in response - not much traffic in the newsgroup I was
    saving from, combined with too many visitors wanting to enjoy the late
    summer in Cornwall.)

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread