*buntu and CNR - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on *buntu and CNR - Ubuntu ; I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September. Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-) -- ...................................... The above message is guaranteed to do nothing except take up space on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. *buntu and CNR

    I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    The above message is guaranteed to do nothing except take up space on your
    HD.

  2. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Pete wrote:
    > I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    > Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    I wonder: will that integrate nicely with the existing infrastructure of
    installing software?

    I also wonder why one would want to use CNR when one's got
    aptitude/synaptic. I mean: what's the advantage?

  3. Re: *buntu and CNR

    TomB wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of
    >> September.
    >> Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)
    >>

    > I wonder: will that integrate nicely with the existing infrastructure
    > of installing software?
    >
    > I also wonder why one would want to use CNR when one's got
    > aptitude/synaptic. I mean: what's the advantage?

    I have no crystal ball for predicting the future, nor any inside
    information from Linspire.

    However, I can report from past experience that using apt-get in
    Linspire broke the proprietary CNR application. This was after Linspire
    support told me to use apt-get to download and install a program that
    was not available via CNR!

    Then they told me that apt-get put a "wedge" (their term) in my system,
    and that is why I could no longer use CNR nor apt-get. They even sent me
    a free CD of the most current Linspire for a new install. This is
    Windoze mentality.

    I started using Ubuntu immediately, long before the new CD arrived.

    The CNR was providing proprietary and commercial (for-sale) software.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  4. Re: *buntu and CNR

    TomB wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of
    >> September.

    > I wonder: will that integrate nicely with the existing infrastructure
    > of installing software?

    Supposedly.

    > I also wonder why one would want to use CNR when one's got
    > aptitude/synaptic. I mean: what's the advantage?

    Freespire's site lists about two dozen 'advantages' of CNR & CNB to
    apt-get and freespire users can currently use CNR or apt-get or an
    apt-get frontend.

    http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/CNR_Warehouse How is CNR different
    from apt-get? -- Can Freespire and CNR handle more than one
    epository? -- Yes. There are several different CNR warehouses, allowing
    for different levels of stability, ranging from fluid and bleeding edge
    to more refined, tested and stable. CNR defaults to using the main,
    stable warehouse, but inside the CNR client you can change the default
    warehouse. For example, the "Thrillseeker Warehouse" contains all the
    newest, not fully tested software, for those who like to live on the
    edge.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: *buntu and CNR

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > However, I can report from past experience that using apt-get in
    > Linspire broke the proprietary CNR application.

    The default linspire 5 install is configured to use CNR and not apt-get.
    The 'conversion' of linspire5 to be an apt-get and related interfaces
    instead of CNR is considered to be a linspire5 hack^1, whereas that
    flexibility is built-in to freespire2. That freespire flexibility is
    also projected^2 to be probably/likely builtin to Linspire6

    ^1 http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/163/ If you like
    Linspire but hate the company's Click N Run pay-as-you-go software
    service, here's how to disable and circumvent CNR and switch to using
    standard Debian packages and the Synaptic package manager.

    ^2 http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/FAQ_Category:_CNR -- Will
    unrestricted, free access with apt-get also be added to Linspire? - Yes
    this will happen in the future, probably as part of Linspire 6.0.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: *buntu and CNR

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > TomB wrote:
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of
    >>> September.
    >>> Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)
    >>>

    >> I wonder: will that integrate nicely with the existing infrastructure of
    >> installing software?
    >>
    >> I also wonder why one would want to use CNR when one's got
    >> aptitude/synaptic. I mean: what's the advantage?

    > I have no crystal ball for predicting the future, nor any inside
    > information from Linspire.
    >
    > However, I can report from past experience that using apt-get in Linspire
    > broke the proprietary CNR application. This was after Linspire support
    > told me to use apt-get to download and install a program that was not
    > available via CNR!
    >
    > Then they told me that apt-get put a "wedge" (their term) in my system,
    > and that is why I could no longer use CNR nor apt-get. They even sent me a
    > free CD of the most current Linspire for a new install. This is Windoze
    > mentality.
    >
    > I started using Ubuntu immediately, long before the new CD arrived.
    >
    > The CNR was providing proprietary and commercial (for-sale) software.
    >
    > --
    > John
    > No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this
    > message.
    >
    > The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell
    > me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being,
    > who wants me to know what I can do.

    I readily agree. Their support seems to be one guy in a back room somewhere.
    You need to wait for 6.1 to use CNR. There's only an OEM out right now.
    They are slow in getting 6.1 out, -gee, just like MS crap.

  7. Re: *buntu and CNR

    "Pete" wrote in message
    news:KPBDi.13275$3x.7678@newssvr25.news.prodigy.ne t...
    >I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    > Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)
    >

    > --
    > The above message is guaranteed to do nothing except take up space on your
    > HD.

    Don't get me wrong. I have a new computer coming, and it will indeed run
    Ubuntu 7.04.

  8. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    > Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    Wow. What does a linux version of download.com give us over and above
    synaptic, apt-get, aptitude, adept etc?

    Nothing. If I want to "purchase" software, I'll do it directly from
    the software house and not potentially dilute their payment by using
    CNR.

    Also, This is the famous "linspire" that have embraced the devil and
    were recently seen in his arms "tongueing".

    I'll stick with canonical and the direct route to the developer
    thanks.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > You also get user ratings on each piece of software, btw.
    > Also, synaptic is full of components -confusing to the newbie. Which one is
    > the "program?"

    Ermmm. When was the last time you ran Ubuntu? The "Add/Remove" section
    for installing new programs contains ratings in the form of a star
    system. One being worst, five being best.

    What else does it give us. Up to now, there is absolutely no reason to
    consider using it at all.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  10. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Pete wrote:

    > I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    > Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    Can one opt-out of this, do you know? I, certainly, would want that caveat
    in place.

    --
    Steveski (Cenosilicaphobiac)

  11. Re: *buntu and CNR

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:13:49 +0100, steveski wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    >> Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    > Can one opt-out of this, do you know? I, certainly, would want that caveat
    > in place.

    I think it will be an optional add on, probably with a .deb package. I
    am guessing it will be installed by default after Gutsy but not replacing
    synaptic. I am just guessing. I wouldnt want that as my only repo either.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  12. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Moog wrote:
    > Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> You also get user ratings on each piece of software, btw.
    >> Also, synaptic is full of components -confusing to the newbie. Which one is
    >> the "program?"

    > Ermmm. When was the last time you ran Ubuntu? The "Add/Remove" section
    > for installing new programs contains ratings in the form of a star
    > system. One being worst, five being best.
    >
    > What else does it give us. Up to now, there is absolutely no reason to
    > consider using it at all.

    Haven't ruin Ubuntu in a while. I'll have to check this out.
    Does it really give you access to 19,000 programs with
    star ratings and descriptions, etc.?

  13. Re: *buntu and CNR

    MCR wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:13:49 +0100, steveski wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hear that *buntu will have the Linspire CNR 6.1 by the end of September.
    >>> Just a rumor to keep you up to date. :-)

    >> Can one opt-out of this, do you know? I, certainly, would want that caveat
    >> in place.
    >>

    > I think it will be an optional add on, probably with a .deb package. I
    > am guessing it will be installed by default after Gutsy but not replacing
    > synaptic. I am just guessing. I wouldnt want that as my only repo either.

    I agree with you.
    But it WILL revolutionize *buntu.
    -Pete

  14. Re: *buntu and CNR

    * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > MCR wrote:

    >>> Can one opt-out of this, do you know? I, certainly, would want that caveat
    >>> in place.

    >> I think it will be an optional add on, probably with a .deb package. I
    >> am guessing it will be installed by default after Gutsy but not replacing
    >> synaptic. I am just guessing. I wouldnt want that as my only repo either.

    > I agree with you.
    > But it WILL revolutionize *buntu.

    How do you know since you dont even run Ubuntu?

    --
    David

    In the eyes of my dog, I'm a man.
    -- Martin Mull

  15. Re: *buntu and CNR

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> MCR wrote:

    >>> I think it will be an optional add on, probably with a .deb package. I
    >>> am guessing it will be installed by default after Gutsy but not
    >>> replacing
    >>> synaptic. I am just guessing. I wouldnt want that as my only repo
    >>> either.

    >> I agree with you.
    >> But it WILL revolutionize *buntu.

    > How do you know since you dont even run Ubuntu?

    This ng is getting filled up with posters who don't seem to run Ubuntu. Go
    figure?

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  16. Re: *buntu and CNR

    NoStop wrote:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I agree with you.
    >>> But it WILL revolutionize *buntu.

    >> How do you know since you dont even run Ubuntu?
    >>

    > This ng is getting filled up with posters who don't seem to run Ubuntu. Go
    > figure?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Flatfish and his lunatic windows-pals are in a frenzy now that Vista proved
    to be so extremely ****ty

  17. Re: *buntu and CNR

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:27:17 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    Snippedy-snip

    > Flatfish and his lunatic windows-pals are in a frenzy now that Vista proved
    > to be so extremely ****ty

    You shouldn't cuss Windows down as its doing an excellent job of promoting
    Linux

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  18. Re: *buntu and CNR

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:22:50 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    Snipped

    > This ng is getting filled up with posters who don't seem to run Ubuntu. Go
    > figure?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Maybe we should seek support on alt.os.windows or something :-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  19. Re: *buntu and CNR

    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:22:50 +0000, NoStop wrote:
    >
    > Snipped
    >
    >> This ng is getting filled up with posters who don't seem to run Ubuntu. Go
    >> figure?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Maybe we should seek support on alt.os.windows or something :-)

    what kind of support would you look for???

    how to make crashes more frequent and predictable?

    --
    Chris

  20. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Flatfish and his lunatic windows-pals are in a frenzy now that Vista
    > proved to be so extremely ****ty

    I've not used Vista, but Linux magazine was able to find SOME good
    points...

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4090/

    It would make a lot of sense for Shuttleworth to take a look at that
    article and use it as a starting ground for future Ubuntu improvements.
    Everything listed there was valid.

    Obviously, not enough to get me to use Vista, but still, M$ doesn't turn
    everything they touch to crap...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."