*buntu and CNR - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on *buntu and CNR - Ubuntu ; Joe LaVigne wrote: > I've not used Vista, but Linux magazine was able to find SOME good > points... > > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4090/ Requires login for 2007 Apr print version which was rerun Sep 7 online article. Use BugMeNot. http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.linux-mag.com In ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Joe LaVigne wrote:

    > I've not used Vista, but Linux magazine was able to find SOME good
    > points...
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4090/

    Requires login for 2007 Apr print version which was rerun Sep 7 online
    article. Use BugMeNot.

    http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.linux-mag.com

    In some ways, Vista has Linux beat. -- Windows Vista has some nice
    features, but Linux still kicks Vista's behind in a number of areas. --
    37 Comments on "What Vista Gets Right" -- This was a great Article! I
    hope that more Linux users read it. -- The article isn't bad, but it
    misses some of the most critical flaws in Vista of Evil. -- Ubuntu
    beats MS Vista hands down! I recommend anyone reading this tripe to
    download a copy --

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: *buntu and CNR

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:18:32 -0700
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >
    > > I've not used Vista, but Linux magazine was able to find SOME good
    > > points...
    > >
    > > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4090/

    > Requires login for 2007 Apr print version which was rerun Sep 7 online
    > article. Use BugMeNot.

    Never noticed that. I have a membership, and the cookies handle it...
    ;-)

    > http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.linux-mag.com
    >

    > In some ways, Vista has Linux beat. -- Windows Vista has some nice
    > features, but Linux still kicks Vista's behind in a number of areas.
    > -- 37 Comments on "What Vista Gets Right" -- This was a great
    > Article! I hope that more Linux users read it. -- The article isn't
    > bad, but it misses some of the most critical flaws in Vista of Evil.
    > -- Ubuntu beats MS Vista hands down! I recommend anyone reading this
    > tripe to download a copy --

    Right. Linux has Vista beat in many ways. Now to address those things
    where Vista does a better job, and get M$ thoroughly beaten in all
    areas.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Joe LaVigne wrote:

    > On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:18:32 -0700
    > "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >
    >> Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've not used Vista, but Linux magazine was able to find SOME good
    >> > points...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4090/

    >> Requires login for 2007 Apr print version which was rerun Sep 7 online
    >> article. Use BugMeNot.

    > Never noticed that. I have a membership, and the cookies handle it...
    > ;-)
    >

    >> http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.linux-mag.com
    >>

    >> In some ways, Vista has Linux beat. -- Windows Vista has some nice
    >> features, but Linux still kicks Vista's behind in a number of areas.
    >> -- 37 Comments on "What Vista Gets Right" -- This was a great
    >> Article! I hope that more Linux users read it. -- The article isn't
    >> bad, but it misses some of the most critical flaws in Vista of Evil.
    >> -- Ubuntu beats MS Vista hands down! I recommend anyone reading this
    >> tripe to download a copy --
    >>

    > Right. Linux has Vista beat in many ways. Now to address those things
    > where Vista does a better job, and get M$ thoroughly beaten in all
    > areas.

    Well, there is only one area where vista does a better job than linux:
    It will run most of the malware "designed for windows"
    In all other cases, it does a pisspoor job, compared to XP.
    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -
    they stop working properly when you open Windows

  4. Re: *buntu and CNR

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:38:21 +0000, Chris Thompson wrote:

    Snipped
    > what kind of support would you look for???
    >
    > how to make crashes more frequent and predictable?

    No.. how to get that pretty blue screen i've heard so much about lately :-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  5. Re: *buntu and CNR

    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:38:21 +0000, Chris Thompson wrote:

    > Snipped
    >> what kind of support would you look for???
    >>
    >> how to make crashes more frequent and predictable?
    >>

    > No.. how to get that pretty blue screen i've heard so much about lately :-)

    The Gimp can make a nice purdy blue screen if ya really need one

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: *buntu and CNR

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> MCR wrote:

    >>> I think it will be an optional add on, probably with a .deb package. I
    >>> am guessing it will be installed by default after Gutsy but not replacing
    >>> synaptic. I am just guessing. I wouldnt want that as my only repo either.

    >> I agree with you.
    >> But it WILL revolutionize *buntu.

    > How do you know since you dont even run Ubuntu?

    In the past I've run Ubuntu, Debian, Linspire, Mandriva
    (currently), Suse, Fedora. Some for short periods of time to
    test them for fun.

  7. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Chris Thompson wrote:

    >> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:38:21 +0000, Chris Thompson wrote:

    >> Snipped
    >>> what kind of support would you look for???
    >>>
    >>> how to make crashes more frequent and predictable?
    >>>

    >> No.. how to get that pretty blue screen i've heard so much about lately :-)
    >>

    > The Gimp can make a nice purdy blue screen if ya really need one

    Yes, but it's not the same feel of the install; crash; boot;
    uninstall; crash; boot; reinstall; pray. Gimp just can't
    give you that. :-)

  8. Re: *buntu and CNR

    Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> You also get user ratings on each piece of software, btw.
    >>> Also, synaptic is full of components -confusing to the newbie. Which one is
    >>> the "program?"

    >> Ermmm. When was the last time you ran Ubuntu? The "Add/Remove" section
    >> for installing new programs contains ratings in the form of a star
    >> system. One being worst, five being best.
    >>
    >> What else does it give us. Up to now, there is absolutely no reason to
    >> consider using it at all.
    >>

    > Haven't ruin Ubuntu in a while. I'll have to check this out.

    The Add/Remove app in Ubuntu has had a starred system since at least
    dapper. The stars reflect popularity.

    > Does it really give you access to 19,000 programs with
    > star ratings and descriptions, etc.?

    No. But synaptic gives you access to 19,000. The Add/Remove
    applications section gives a couple of thousand of the most popular
    apps out there.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."