headphones do not mute speakers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on headphones do not mute speakers - Ubuntu ; greets! I have a sudden problem in Kubuntu 7.04 using hp pavillion dv2000 and alsa drivers. plugging in the headphones does not mute the speakers. this used to work fine until a day or so ago. I cannot connect it ...

  1. headphones do not mute speakers

    greets!

    I have a sudden problem in Kubuntu 7.04 using hp pavillion dv2000 and alsa
    drivers.

    plugging in the headphones does not mute the speakers.

    this used to work fine until a day or so ago. I cannot connect it with any
    changes I have made but who knows?

    I have tried fooling with kmix and alsamixer but so far, nothing works.

    the problem is systemic, thus it makes no difference if I use kaffeine,
    mplayer, etc.

    the problem does not occur in Windows Vista on the same machine.

    I have am googling but so far, no good.

    any clues?

    Felmon

  2. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:15:59 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    > greets!
    >
    > I have a sudden problem in Kubuntu 7.04 using hp pavillion dv2000 and alsa
    > drivers.
    >
    > plugging in the headphones does not mute the speakers.
    >
    > this used to work fine until a day or so ago. I cannot connect it with any
    > changes I have made but who knows?
    >
    > I have tried fooling with kmix and alsamixer but so far, nothing works.
    >
    > the problem is systemic, thus it makes no difference if I use kaffeine,
    > mplayer, etc.
    >
    > the problem does not occur in Windows Vista on the same machine.
    >
    > I have am googling but so far, no good.
    >
    > any clues?
    >
    > Felmon

    This behaviour you are talking about has been the same for me since I
    installed Ubuntu. I have to turn down my speakers while listening out the
    front output jack. In Vista, from what I remember of it has a new way of
    dealing with sound devices, which work in the way you describe, choosing a
    device disables the other.

    I actually prefer the Ubuntu way as I don't have to go to a control panel
    or mixer to change between headphones and speakers, so I haven't looked
    for a solution. So in short, the behaviour you are seeing, I believe is
    normal.. can you not just switch off your speakers when you don't need
    them? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  3. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:57:39 +0000, mcr wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:15:59 -0400, felmon davis wrote:
    >
    >> greets!
    >>
    >> I have a sudden problem in Kubuntu 7.04 using hp pavillion dv2000 and alsa
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> plugging in the headphones does not mute the speakers.
    >>
    >> this used to work fine until a day or so ago. I cannot connect it with any
    >> changes I have made but who knows?
    >>
    >> I have tried fooling with kmix and alsamixer but so far, nothing works.
    >>
    >> the problem is systemic, thus it makes no difference if I use kaffeine,
    >> mplayer, etc.
    >>
    >> the problem does not occur in Windows Vista on the same machine.
    >>
    >> I have am googling but so far, no good.
    >>
    >> any clues?
    >>
    >> Felmon

    > This behaviour you are talking about has been the same for me since I
    > installed Ubuntu. I have to turn down my speakers while listening out the
    > front output jack. In Vista, from what I remember of it has a new way of
    > dealing with sound devices, which work in the way you describe, choosing a
    > device disables the other.

    I am sure this behavior was otherwise when I installed Kubuntu, viz. the
    speakers went off when the headphones went in.

    so I think something has changed presumably because of some configuration
    alteration I inadvertently made or some update.

    > I actually prefer the Ubuntu way as I don't have to go to a control
    > panel or mixer to change between headphones and speakers, so I haven't
    > looked for a solution. So in short, the behaviour you are seeing, I
    > believe is normal.. can you not just switch off your speakers when you
    > don't need them? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    no, unfortunately I haven't found a way to shut off the speakers. I would
    be a bit less perturbed if I could though I do prefer that they turn off
    automatically.

    Felmon

  4. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:57:39 +0000, mcr wrote:

    > I actually prefer the Ubuntu way as I don't have to go to a control panel
    > or mixer to change between headphones and speakers, so I haven't looked
    > for a solution. So in short, the behaviour you are seeing, I believe is
    > normal.. can you not just switch off your speakers when you don't need
    > them? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    I think I should clarify my response briefly: so far any way I have found
    to turn off the speakers also turns off sound to the headphones on the
    laptop (hp pavillion dv2000).

    there is the 'kmix' utility and also 'alsamixer' but I haven't found a
    setting which kills the speakers and leaves the headphones alone.

    the 'kmix' utility looks rather meagre to me. the same utility in OpenSuse
    has a lot more options for setting sound. perhaps there is some way for me
    to upgrade the mixer or get a better one?

    Felmon

  5. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:41:38 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    Snipped

    > I think I should clarify my response briefly: so far any way I have found
    > to turn off the speakers also turns off sound to the headphones on the
    > laptop (hp pavillion dv2000).

    OK. But I have to ask.. Are you turning down a volume dial on the
    speakers themselves (like I do) or are you adjusting the volume in
    (k)ubuntu? If its from software, then your experience is correct.

    > there is the 'kmix' utility and also 'alsamixer' but I haven't found a
    > setting which kills the speakers and leaves the headphones alone.
    >
    > the 'kmix' utility looks rather meagre to me. the same utility in
    > OpenSuse has a lot more options for setting sound. perhaps there is some
    > way for me to upgrade the mixer or get a better one?
    >
    > Felmon

    I use Ubuntu, in it, if I go to System, Preferences, Sound (there must be
    a similar option in KDE) there is a preferences dialogue, on it there is
    DEVICES tab and at the bottom there are choices.. PCM, FRONT, FRONT MIC,
    etc and I *can* individually adjust the sound properties for each output
    there..

    Good luck!

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  6. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:59:44 +0000, mcr wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:41:38 -0400, felmon davis wrote:
    >
    > Snipped
    >
    >> I think I should clarify my response briefly: so far any way I have found
    >> to turn off the speakers also turns off sound to the headphones on the
    >> laptop (hp pavillion dv2000).

    > OK. But I have to ask.. Are you turning down a volume dial on the
    > speakers themselves (like I do) or are you adjusting the volume in
    > (k)ubuntu? If its from software, then your experience is correct.

    there is a volume control on the laptop itself. changing it changes
    both the speakers and the headphones, unfortunately.

    >> there is the 'kmix' utility and also 'alsamixer' but I haven't found a
    >> setting which kills the speakers and leaves the headphones alone.
    >>
    >> the 'kmix' utility looks rather meagre to me. the same utility in
    >> OpenSuse has a lot more options for setting sound. perhaps there is
    >> some way for me to upgrade the mixer or get a better one?
    >>
    >> Felmon

    > I use Ubuntu,

    yes, I'm talking about my kubuntu 7.04 system.

    > in it, if I go to System, Preferences, Sound (there must
    > be a similar option in KDE) there is a preferences dialogue, on it there
    > is DEVICES tab and at the bottom there are choices.. PCM, FRONT, FRONT
    > MIC, etc and I *can* individually adjust the sound properties for each
    > output there..

    ah, I see: you are using gnome?

    unfortunately (again), there is no such setting here in KDE. there is a
    sound setup utility under 'system' but it provides no finer control over
    devices than selecting the driver (alsa in my case) and a few other
    factors not pertinent to my problem.

    > Good luck!

    it's a bit frustrating. maybe I will try reinstalling the driver.

    Felmon

  7. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:02:35 -0400 felmon davis
    wrote:

    > it's a bit frustrating. maybe I will try reinstalling the driver.

    A temporary fix that might get you through:

    Type alsamixer in terminal.
    Left and right key selects devices.
    Use the m key to mute and unmute devices.

    In the event that reinstalling your driver doesn't work, here are a few
    links that might at least send you in the right direction:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...k+speaker+both

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/De...gSoundProblems

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post3309424

    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  8. Re: headphones do not mute speakers

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:39:56 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > A temporary fix that might get you through:
    >
    > Type alsamixer in terminal.
    > Left and right key selects devices.
    > Use the m key to mute and unmute devices.

    naw, already been doing that blue in the face.

    I just downloaded and recompiled the alsa-driver but that's made no
    difference.

    I am working through the references you gave below - very grateful for
    that - and one of them so far, the 3rd one, looks promising - the first
    two made no difference - but is rather complex and branches into other
    urls in addition. I shall look more closely when I get a second wind.

    > In the event that reinstalling your driver doesn't work, here are a few
    > links that might at least send you in the right direction:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...k+speaker+both
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/De...gSoundProblems
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post3309424

    I probably won't look much further tonight but perhaps dig in tomorrow.

    thanks, Little Girl!

    Felmon

  9. Re: headphones do not mute speakers [SOLVED]

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 01:50:41 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:39:56 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
    >

    >> A temporary fix that might get you through:
    >>
    >> Type alsamixer in terminal.
    >> Left and right key selects devices.
    >> Use the m key to mute and unmute devices.

    > naw, already been doing that blue in the face.

    well, I am not sure what happened, I can only guess.

    I compiled and installed new alsa drivers and fiddled with the alsa-base
    config file, but no go.

    I followed a tip in one of the links you provided where a person rebooted
    with the headphones plugged in. when I did that, it worked!

    and now I don't need to have the headphones plugged in at boot. I get
    sound from the speakers with headphones unplugged but the speakers go mute
    when the headphones are plugged in. that is what I wanted.

    here is my guess: probably (!) rebooting after the driver install put in
    the fix. (perhaps just restarting X would have sufficed, I cannot tell.)

    anyway, I am relieved. thank you for those tips!

    Felmon

  10. Re: headphones do not mute speakers [SOLVED]

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 02:10:25 -0400 felmon davis
    wrote:

    > well, I am not sure what happened, I can only guess.

    > I compiled and installed new alsa drivers and fiddled with the
    > alsa-base config file, but no go.

    > I followed a tip in one of the links you provided where a person
    > rebooted with the headphones plugged in. when I did that, it worked!

    Heh, I saw that one. I wonder *why* that works. (:

    > and now I don't need to have the headphones plugged in at boot. I get
    > sound from the speakers with headphones unplugged but the speakers go
    > mute when the headphones are plugged in. that is what I wanted.

    I'm so glad it's working now!

    > here is my guess: probably (!) rebooting after the driver install put
    > in the fix. (perhaps just restarting X would have sufficed, I cannot
    > tell.)

    Maybe one of our local gurus knows this one. I think kernel updates are
    the only things one has to reboot for. I don't enjoy rebooting, so when
    I'm unsure, I log out and back in and if whatever I changed works, I
    stop there.

    > anyway, I am relieved. thank you for those tips!

    You're welcome, but I think reinstalling the driver was the fix. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread