Good replacement for firefox? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Good replacement for firefox? - Ubuntu ; I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process. It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Good replacement for firefox?

    I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.

    It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language
    lessons I take since they are done in a Flash based classroom. Generally
    it'll happen about 1-2 times per hour and is rather annoying and
    disruptive.

    I've done some googling on the subject and it indeed seems to be a problem
    with Firefox as google is flooded with complaints about that exact problem.

    Unfortunately the solution I've seen proposed isn't exactly what I was
    looking for:

    Turn off flash or install a flash block plugin.

    Umm...can't do that when I need flash for my lessons. =)

    So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    which one would be good?

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose schreef:
    > I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    > at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.
    >
    > It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language
    > lessons I take since they are done in a Flash based classroom. Generally
    > it'll happen about 1-2 times per hour and is rather annoying and
    > disruptive.
    >
    > I've done some googling on the subject and it indeed seems to be a problem
    > with Firefox as google is flooded with complaints about that exact problem.
    >
    > Unfortunately the solution I've seen proposed isn't exactly what I was
    > looking for:
    >
    > Turn off flash or install a flash block plugin.
    >
    > Umm...can't do that when I need flash for my lessons. =)
    >
    > So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    > for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    > which one would be good?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Flashblock replaces a flash object with an icon, clicking the icon will
    enable just this object for this session only.

    I find Konqueror to be a reasonable browser, you might want to check out
    Opera.

  3. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:52:01 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Stephan Rose schreef:
    >> I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    >> at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.
    >>
    >> It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language
    >> lessons I take since they are done in a Flash based classroom. Generally
    >> it'll happen about 1-2 times per hour and is rather annoying and
    >> disruptive.
    >>
    >> I've done some googling on the subject and it indeed seems to be a problem
    >> with Firefox as google is flooded with complaints about that exact problem.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the solution I've seen proposed isn't exactly what I was
    >> looking for:
    >>
    >> Turn off flash or install a flash block plugin.
    >>
    >> Umm...can't do that when I need flash for my lessons. =)
    >>
    >> So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    >> for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    >> which one would be good?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Flashblock replaces a flash object with an icon, clicking the icon will
    > enable just this object for this session only.

    Yup which is actually probably quite nice for regular browsing, but does
    little good when I actually need to *use* said flash object for an hour
    non-stop. =)

    > I find Konqueror to be a reasonable browser, you might want to check out
    > Opera.

    Konqueror has 10 things I don't like about it:

    #1-9: KDE

    10. Some things didn't show correctly last time I used it, though this in
    January using Edgy. Those things might have been fixed by now.

    Opera sounds like an idea though, I'll give that a run and see how I like
    it.

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    epiphany is a good rowser

  5. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    > at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.
    >
    > It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language
    > lessons I take since they are done in a Flash based classroom. Generally
    > it'll happen about 1-2 times per hour and is rather annoying and
    > disruptive.
    >
    > I've done some googling on the subject and it indeed seems to be a problem
    > with Firefox as google is flooded with complaints about that exact problem.
    >
    > Unfortunately the solution I've seen proposed isn't exactly what I was
    > looking for:
    >
    > Turn off flash or install a flash block plugin.
    >
    > Umm...can't do that when I need flash for my lessons. =)
    >
    > So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    > for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    > which one would be good?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Get rid of flash player and try Gnash. Works fine for me (under Gutsy
    now BTW)

    Check it out here.......
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/utils/gnash

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:47:36 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    > at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.
    >
    > It's a rare occurrence but it generally happens during my online language
    > lessons I take since they are done in a Flash based classroom. Generally
    > it'll happen about 1-2 times per hour and is rather annoying and
    > disruptive.
    >
    > I've done some googling on the subject and it indeed seems to be a problem
    > with Firefox as google is flooded with complaints about that exact problem.
    >
    > Unfortunately the solution I've seen proposed isn't exactly what I was
    > looking for:
    >
    > Turn off flash or install a flash block plugin.
    >
    > Umm...can't do that when I need flash for my lessons. =)
    >
    > So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    > for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    > which one would be good?

    Galeon or Epiphany, both "gnome" browsers, since you don't like KDE 9 times :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  7. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:58:51 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Galeon

    I use Galeon, it sticks to it's motto, "The web, only the web".

    --
    Vista sucks! Period.

  8. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    >> Galeon
    >
    > I use Galeon, it sticks to it's motto, "The web, only the web".
    >
    > --
    > Vista sucks! Period.

    Is that ^^^^^ a statement of a monthly issue ;-)

  9. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Moog dixit:

    > Get rid of flash player and try Gnash. Works fine for me (under Gutsy
    > now BTW)

    Last time I've tried it (~1 year ago), it was horribly slow.

    Do you have a horribly powerful CPU or did Gnash get much better
    recently?

    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    There's no place like ~

  10. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Jazzman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog dixit:
    >
    >> Get rid of flash player and try Gnash. Works fine for me (under Gutsy
    >> now BTW)

    > Last time I've tried it (~1 year ago), it was horribly slow.
    >
    > Do you have a horribly powerful CPU or did Gnash get much better
    > recently?

    Hmmm. You could well be right. Processor is a core2duo T7200 (2ghz)
    with 2mb system ram.

    I found it more responsive than Adobe's offering. I've only recently
    installed and siwtched over though, so it may well have been slower
    previously.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:52:30 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Jazzman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog dixit:
    >>
    >>> Get rid of flash player and try Gnash. Works fine for me (under Gutsy
    >>> now BTW)

    >> Last time I've tried it (~1 year ago), it was horribly slow.
    >>
    >> Do you have a horribly powerful CPU or did Gnash get much better
    >> recently?

    > Hmmm. You could well be right. Processor is a core2duo T7200 (2ghz)
    > with 2mb system ram.
    >
    > I found it more responsive than Adobe's offering. I've only recently
    > installed and siwtched over though, so it may well have been slower
    > previously.

    The one thing that worries me is that they say it only has full support up
    to Flash 7 and I am not sure what exact version of Flash I need. I have to
    see if I can find out.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  12. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:58:26 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Opera sounds like an idea though,

    What, you only just heard of it? Incredible!

    --
    Chris Game

    "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
    initiative in creating the Internet." - Al Gore, March 9, 1999

  13. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:07:56 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:58:26 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Opera sounds like an idea though,

    > What, you only just heard of it? Incredible!

    Ehh I've heard of it before but never paid any significant attention to
    it or any other browsers other than Firefox.

    I tried it yesterday and honestly, it lasted about 30 minutes.

    The fonts looked *horrible*, I have no idea HOW they managed to get font
    rendering that bad...but somehow they did...

    Though the thing that killed it was that it doesn't correctly load my
    school's classroom, that being the primary reason I am trying
    different browsers in the first place. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  14. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose dixit:

    > I tried it yesterday and honestly, it lasted about 30 minutes.
    >
    > The fonts looked *horrible*, I have no idea HOW they managed to get
    > font rendering that bad...but somehow they did...

    Certainly not Opera's fault, most likely issues with your X server
    config (e.g. bitmap fonts enabled).

    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    There's no place like ~

  15. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    > at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.

    > So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    > for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    > which one would be good?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Perhaps Seamonkey?

    It's based on the same engine as Firefox but in my experience it has
    been way more stable than Firefox 2. I don't know if your Flash problem
    will carry over to it; I haven't experienced it here.

  16. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 02:38:46 +0200, Jazzman wrote:

    > Stephan Rose dixit:
    >
    >> I tried it yesterday and honestly, it lasted about 30 minutes.
    >>
    >> The fonts looked *horrible*, I have no idea HOW they managed to get
    >> font rendering that bad...but somehow they did...

    > Certainly not Opera's fault, most likely issues with your X server
    > config (e.g. bitmap fonts enabled).

    *shrug* Even if so, Opera is the only application that has the problem and
    that still wouldn't cure Opera's inability to show my school's classroom
    correctly. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  17. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Scribbler had the audacity to say that:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> I'm having an issue with firefox to where during some flash content, it'll
    >> at random times eat 100% CPU and then stay there until I kill the process.

    >> So for that reason, I need to try a different browser (at the very least
    >> for said lessons) that is flash capable. Any suggestions though as to
    >> which one would be good?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > Perhaps Seamonkey?
    >
    > It's based on the same engine as Firefox but in my experience it has
    > been way more stable than Firefox 2. I don't know if your Flash problem
    > will carry over to it; I haven't experienced it here.

    Some firefox extensions will consume lot's of cpu time. In particular there
    is a weather extension for firefox that is very popular. On some systems it
    will peg the cpu for long periods of time. don't know if extensions are
    contributing to your problem with FF, but just in case...

    *R* *H*

    --
    If only one of Charles Chaplin's films could be preserved, ``City
    Lights'' (1931) would come the closest to representing all the

  18. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:52:30 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Jazzman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Moog dixit:

    >>> Last time I've tried it (~1 year ago), it was horribly slow.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have a horribly powerful CPU or did Gnash get much better
    >>> recently?

    >> Hmmm. You could well be right. Processor is a core2duo T7200 (2ghz)
    >> with 2mb system ram.
    >>
    >> I found it more responsive than Adobe's offering. I've only recently
    >> installed and siwtched over though, so it may well have been slower
    >> previously.
    >>

    > The one thing that worries me is that they say it only has full support up
    > to Flash 7 and I am not sure what exact version of Flash I need. I have to
    > see if I can find out.

    Why not try it in a test Virtual Machine mate.

    Everyone needs a test virtual machine IMHO. I have a version of gutsy
    and a "mimic" of my hard drive install. This has saved me from many
    potential headaches in the past. Snapshotting is great. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:57:23 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:52:30 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jazzman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Hmmm. You could well be right. Processor is a core2duo T7200 (2ghz)
    >>> with 2mb system ram.
    >>>
    >>> I found it more responsive than Adobe's offering. I've only recently
    >>> installed and siwtched over though, so it may well have been slower
    >>> previously.
    >>>

    >> The one thing that worries me is that they say it only has full support up
    >> to Flash 7 and I am not sure what exact version of Flash I need. I have to
    >> see if I can find out.

    > Why not try it in a test Virtual Machine mate.

    That's a potential possibility, that would at least allow me to switch
    back to adobe flash quickly if things didn't work right.

    On that note, ever since I've started looking for alternatives, Firefox
    stopped misbehaving out of the clear blue sky...

    > Everyone needs a test virtual machine IMHO. I have a version of gutsy
    > and a "mimic" of my hard drive install. This has saved me from many
    > potential headaches in the past. Snapshotting is great. ;-)

    Usually my "virtual machine" is my laptop. I just realized I could try it
    on that. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  20. Re: Good replacement for firefox?

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> <.....>
    >> Why not try it in a test Virtual Machine mate.

    > That's a potential possibility, that would at least allow me to switch
    > back to adobe flash quickly if things didn't work right.

    Quite. You can even protect the VM by snapshotting, then rolling back
    if things go Pete Tong.

    > On that note, ever since I've started looking for alternatives, Firefox
    > stopped misbehaving out of the clear blue sky...

    Hah. It's like a little child mate. Does enough to put you on
    the edge of a nervous breakdown and then turns into an Angelic
    superstar just before that final push over the edge. ;-)

    >> Everyone needs a test virtual machine IMHO. I have a version of gutsy
    >> and a "mimic" of my hard drive install. This has saved me from many
    >> potential headaches in the past. Snapshotting is great. ;-)

    > Usually my "virtual machine" is my laptop. I just realized I could try it
    > on that. =)

    Hmmm. No snapshotting that way though mate.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread