Ubuntu based "supercomputer" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu based "supercomputer" - Ubuntu ; http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539 -- Charlie Hoffpauir http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

  1. Ubuntu based "supercomputer"


  2. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:30:16 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539


    _Four 350-watt power supplies_ on the Microwulf tower?

    We're into the realm of home supercomputers that can explode on you.

    --

    If You Can't Write It In C, It Can't Be Wrote.



    RSN



  3. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    mimus wrote:
    > We're into the realm of home supercomputers that can explode on you.


    You mean like in Logan's Run ?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

  4. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"


    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539



    It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn out
    data, I'll believe it...



  5. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:41:51 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > mimus wrote:
    >
    >> We're into the realm of home supercomputers that can explode on you.

    >
    > You mean like in Logan's Run ?


    I don't know. Been so long since I've seen it that I don't remember any
    such scene or any other, although I have a vague recollection of Farah
    Fawcett in one of her more forgettable roles of many such.

    --

    Kill. Kill! KILL!

    < comp.os.linux.misc

    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz


  6. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:14:48 -0400, Felix wrote:

    > "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    > news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    >
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539

    >
    > It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn out
    > data, I'll believe it...


    They ran Ubuntu on it, desktop and server, as well as the benchmark
    program Linpack spitting out gigaflops.

    What more do you want?

    --

    This is a feature, not a bug.

    < The fetchmail FAQ


  7. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"


    "mimus" wrote in message
    news:s86dnQEnL4h6dkDbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:14:48 -0400, Felix wrote:
    >
    >> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >> news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    >>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539

    >>
    >> It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn
    >> out
    >> data, I'll believe it...

    >
    > They ran Ubuntu on it, desktop and server, as well as the benchmark
    > program Linpack spitting out gigaflops.
    >
    > What more do you want?


    Have you seen it with your own eyes or you just read the article?



  8. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:52:00 -0400, "Felix" wrote:

    >
    >"mimus" wrote in message
    >news:s86dnQEnL4h6dkDbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:14:48 -0400, Felix wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >>> news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    >>>
    >>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539
    >>>
    >>> It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn
    >>> out
    >>> data, I'll believe it...

    >>
    >> They ran Ubuntu on it, desktop and server, as well as the benchmark
    >> program Linpack spitting out gigaflops.
    >>
    >> What more do you want?

    >
    >Have you seen it with your own eyes or you just read the article?
    >


    Do you believe that the earth is flat because you haven't seen the
    curvature "with your own eyes"?

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  9. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On 2007-09-05, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

    [...]

    > Do you believe that the earth is flat because you haven't seen the
    > curvature "with your own eyes"?


    Well I have always had lingering doubts about that .....

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  10. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:52:00 -0400, "Felix" wrote:
    >
    >> "mimus" wrote in message
    >> news:s86dnQEnL4h6dkDbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:14:48 -0400, Felix wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >>>> news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    >>>>
    >>>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539
    >>>> It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn
    >>>> out
    >>>> data, I'll believe it...
    >>> They ran Ubuntu on it, desktop and server, as well as the benchmark
    >>> program Linpack spitting out gigaflops.
    >>>
    >>> What more do you want?

    >> Have you seen it with your own eyes or you just read the article?
    >>

    >
    > Do you believe that the earth is flat because you haven't seen the
    > curvature "with your own eyes"?
    >


    I've seen the curvature from an airplane. You need to come up with a
    wiser question, chap

  11. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:01:20 -0400, Tex wrote:

    >Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:52:00 -0400, "Felix" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "mimus" wrote in message
    >>> news:s86dnQEnL4h6dkDbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>>> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:14:48 -0400, Felix wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:41uqd3987dm6nrls0f56bk5oj7ce5voeec@4ax.com...
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539
    >>>>> It's a good idea but it will never work. When I see one of these churn
    >>>>> out
    >>>>> data, I'll believe it...
    >>>> They ran Ubuntu on it, desktop and server, as well as the benchmark
    >>>> program Linpack spitting out gigaflops.
    >>>>
    >>>> What more do you want?
    >>> Have you seen it with your own eyes or you just read the article?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Do you believe that the earth is flat because you haven't seen the
    >> curvature "with your own eyes"?
    >>

    >
    >I've seen the curvature from an airplane. You need to come up with a
    >wiser question, chap


    Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  12. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Charlie Hoffpauir dixit:

    > Wow! How high were you?


    And on what kind of substance, please?


    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    "Ciņ che č affermato senza prova, puņ essere negato senza prova"
    (Euclide)

  13. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"


    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    news:t98td3pi4g0t1c1puuk8pib4r835jn4bk1@4ax.com...
    >
    > Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    > be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.
    >


    Go to any marina and look to sea. First you'll see the mast, then the
    saiboat. That's curvature in action.



  14. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:05:34 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    wrote:

    >
    >"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >news:t98td3pi4g0t1c1puuk8pib4r835jn4bk1@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    >> be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.
    >>

    >
    >Go to any marina and look to sea. First you'll see the mast, then the
    >saiboat. That's curvature in action.
    >


    Indeed, proof of curvature, but not actually "seeing the curvature".

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  15. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"


    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    news:ruhtd3dcf6ap705scoi1gb33bcdi1k6vdn@4ax.com...
    >
    > Indeed, proof of curvature, but not actually "seeing the curvature".
    >


    Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    building. You can see it then.



  16. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Thanks for the link.

    Generally, I think that software is lacking behind hardware. Software is
    not parallel enough.

    Anyway, visit moma's HPC (high performance computing) page:
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/hpc_linux.html

    // moma


    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=184&tag=nl.e539
    >


  17. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:33:56 +0200, none <""moma\"@(none)"> wrote:


    >
    >Anyway, visit moma's HPC (high performance computing) page:
    >http://www.futuredesktop.org/hpc_linux.html
    >

    I did and it's neat! Interesting links.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  18. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    wrote:

    >
    >"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >news:ruhtd3dcf6ap705scoi1gb33bcdi1k6vdn@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> Indeed, proof of curvature, but not actually "seeing the curvature".
    >>

    >
    >Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    >building. You can see it then.
    >


    Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    if you can, then great, but I can't.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  19. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:09:04 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >>news:ruhtd3dcf6ap705scoi1gb33bcdi1k6vdn@4ax.com...
    >>>
    >>> Indeed, proof of curvature, but not actually "seeing the curvature".
    >>>

    >>
    >>Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    >>building. You can see it then.
    >>

    >
    >Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    >I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    >tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    >Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    >if you can, then great, but I can't.


    Also, pls see the comment by Randall Clague at this link:
    http://www.stratofox.org/twiki/bin/v...tureOfTheEarth

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  20. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >> news:ruhtd3dcf6ap705scoi1gb33bcdi1k6vdn@4ax.com...
    >>
    >>> Indeed, proof of curvature, but not actually "seeing the curvature".
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    >> building. You can see it then.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    > I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    > tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    > Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    > if you can, then great, but I can't.



    What did the moon show last week when the Earth eclipsed it?

    What do you see in the images from the ISS or Space Shuttle?

    What shape does the moon, Venus, Jupiter, etc. have?

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast