Ubuntu based "supercomputer" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu based "supercomputer" - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:29:43 GMT, "John F. Morse" wrote: >Charlie Hoffpauir wrote: >> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^" >> wrote: >> >> >>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message >>> news:ruhtd3dcf6ap705scoi1gb33bcdi1k6vdn@4ax.com... >>> >>>> Indeed, proof ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    wrote:

    >Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message

    >>> Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    >>> building. You can see it then.
    >>>

    >> Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    >> I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    >> tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    >> Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    >> if you can, then great, but I can't.

    >What did the moon show last week when the Earth eclipsed it?
    >
    >What do you see in the images from the ISS or Space Shuttle?
    >
    >What shape does the moon, Venus, Jupiter, etc. have?

    John,

    We're flogging a dead horse here.

    This thread is the result of a statement by Felix:

    "Have you seen it with your own eyes or you just read the article? "

    No one is really questioning the various means we all have to prove
    beyond reasonable doubt that he earth is round. Only picking fun (as
    Felix did) with the phrase he wrote, and then my response to that
    phrase.

    And so for me, this is enough....

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

  2. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    * Charlie Hoffpauir wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:09:04 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    > wrote:

    >>On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0700, "Mountain Mike^^"
    >> wrote:

    >>>"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message

    >>>Ok, then go to any big city and go to the top floor of their tallest
    >>>building. You can see it then.

    >>Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    >>I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    >>tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    >>Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    >>if you can, then great, but I can't.

    > Also, pls see the comment by Randall Clague at this link:
    > http://www.stratofox.org/twiki/bin/v...tureOfTheEarth

    It has been said, that at the top of Everest, you can see the curvature
    of the earth, that is at ~29,000 which is lower than they typical plane
    flight. Since I haven't made the climb, I wont doubt it, but looking out
    of a 12" window on a plane probably doesn't give the view justice.

    --
    David

    May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!

  3. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    > --
    > Charlie Hoffpauir

    How do you pronounce your last name? Hoffpowir? Hoffpaouir?

  4. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:53:26 -0400, "Hobart" wrote:

    >"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >> --
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir

    >How do you pronounce your last name? Hoffpowir? Hoffpaouir?

    Many pronounce it Huff-power. I personally prefer Hoff-power. We
    believe, but can't prove, that it was originally the German Hoffbauer.
    The "earliest" person we can find using the name (circa 1790)actually
    spelled it Hoffpauer, but because of the French influence in
    Louisiana, the more common spelling is now Hoffpauir.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

  5. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

    >Tex wrote:

    >>Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

    * Beowulf-HOWTO, Beowulf HOWTO
    Updated: Jan 2005. Describes step by step instructions on building a
    Beowulf cluster. This is a Red Hat and LAM specific version of this
    document.

    * Mock-Mainframe, The Mock Mainframe Mini-HOWTO
    Updated: Oct 2005. A brief description of a standard way to set up and
    work with a computer network for a small group of people that is
    inexpensive to build, easy to administer, and relatively safe.

    >>> Do you believe that the earth is flat because you haven't seen the
    >>> curvature "with your own eyes"?

    >>I've seen the curvature from an airplane. You need to come up with a
    >>wiser question, chap

    >Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    >be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.

    Do the math - simple geometry. The nominal radius of the earth is about
    3960 miles / 6371 KM /20.9 million feet. An eye at a height of 11000
    meters / 36100 feet can see the horizon a bit over 250 miles / 425 KM
    away. That one way distance is about 2 percent of the circumference of
    the earth, or 7.2 degrees of Lat/Lon. Look straight ahead, and your
    peripheral vision should be able to see the curvature off to the left and
    right. Your biggest problem is seeing that far through the smoke, haze,
    water vapo[u]r and crap in the air. But even the ancient Greeks and
    Egyptians knew that the earth was round because they could watch a ship
    sail away, and the further away it was, the higher you had to be to see
    it - on the surface, first the hull would disappear below the horizon,
    then the sails, and finally the top of the masts. Why.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    mimus wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:41:51 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> mimus wrote:
    >>> We're into the realm of home supercomputers that can explode on you.

    >> You mean like in Logan's Run ?

    > I don't know. Been so long since I've seen it that I don't remember any
    > such scene or any other, although I have a vague recollection of Farah
    > Fawcett in one of her more forgettable roles of many such.

    It had a denouement that was almost a cliché in sci-fi of that era:
    The computer is evil and must be stopped. So the hero feeds it an
    insoluble logic problem and it literally physically explodes.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You always have time for what you do first.

  7. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Jazzman wrote:
    > Charlie Hoffpauir dixit:
    >
    >> Wow! How high were you?

    > And on what kind of substance, please?

    I would think that the higher one got, the more obvious the curvature
    would be.

    --
    If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
    you should stop exhaling.

  8. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Mountain Mike^^ wrote:
    > Go to any marina and look to sea. First you'll see the mast, then the
    > saiboat. That's curvature in action.

    Nah, they're doing tricks in the stairwell.

    --
    If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
    you should stop exhaling.

  9. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    clifto wrote:

    > Jazzman wrote:
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir dixit:
    >>
    >>> Wow! How high were you?

    >> And on what kind of substance, please?

    > I would think that the higher one got, the more obvious the curvature
    > would be.

    Try 36 miles ...

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...y/Science/home

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  10. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:33:31 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

    >>I've seen the curvature from an airplane. You need to come up with a
    >>wiser question, chap

    > Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    > be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.

    I have been high enough to see the earth's curve while walking through a
    parking lot.

    stonerfish

  11. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    NoStop wrote:
    > clifto wrote:
    >> Jazzman wrote:
    >>> Charlie Hoffpauir dixit:

    >>> And on what kind of substance, please?

    >> I would think that the higher one got, the more obvious the curvature
    >> would be.
    >>

    > Try 36 miles ...
    >
    > http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...y/Science/home

    Although you may have missed my point, perhaps 16,000 feet would be plenty:

    http://tinyurl.com/9md9h

    --
    If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
    you should stop exhaling.

  12. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    newst2ud355plp7oajng0ro4fhd21mp0ubq35@4ax.com...
    > Ok, I've been there, done that, and "I" can't detect any curvature.
    > I've been in commercial airline flights, which are much higher than a
    > tall building, and "I" can't detect any curvature. I've flown over the
    > Pacific in a commercial flight, and "I" can't detect any curvature. So
    > if you can, then great, but I can't.

    Well, that proves it then.

    The earth is really flat

  13. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:59:02 -0700, Mountain Mike^^ wrote:

    > The earth is really flat

    Of course, that's why lakes don't drain away!

    --
    Chris Game

    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

  14. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:51:19 +0100
    Chris Game wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:59:02 -0700, Mountain Mike^^ wrote:
    >
    > > The earth is really flat

    > Of course, that's why lakes don't drain away!

    Bugger! I wanted to go water skiing but I can't find a lake on a slope.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  15. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:52:12 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > , Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
    >
    >>Tex wrote:

    > * Beowulf-HOWTO, Beowulf HOWTO
    > Updated: Jan 2005. Describes step by step instructions on building a
    > Beowulf cluster. This is a Red Hat and LAM specific version of this
    > document.
    >
    > * Mock-Mainframe, The Mock Mainframe Mini-HOWTO
    > Updated: Oct 2005. A brief description of a standard way to set up and
    > work with a computer network for a small group of people that is
    > inexpensive to build, easy to administer, and relatively safe.

    >>>I've seen the curvature from an airplane. You need to come up with a
    >>>wiser question, chap

    >>Wow! How high were you? I'll admit, I have no idea how high one must
    >>be, but I'd have thought it would be "orbital" distances.

    > Do the math - simple geometry. The nominal radius of the earth is about
    > 3960 miles / 6371 KM /20.9 million feet. An eye at a height of 11000
    > meters / 36100 feet can see the horizon a bit over 250 miles / 425 KM
    > away. That one way distance is about 2 percent of the circumference of
    > the earth, or 7.2 degrees of Lat/Lon. Look straight ahead, and your
    > peripheral vision should be able to see the curvature off to the left and
    > right. Your biggest problem is seeing that far through the smoke, haze,
    > water vapo[u]r and crap in the air. But even the ancient Greeks and
    > Egyptians knew that the earth was round because they could watch a ship
    > sail away, and the further away it was, the higher you had to be to see
    > it - on the surface, first the hull would disappear below the horizon,
    > then the sails, and finally the top of the masts. Why.

    Even the Scholastics understood that.

    --
    ..sigzip:*

  16. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    > Do the math - simple geometry. The nominal radius of the earth is about
    > 3960 miles / 6371 KM /20.9 million feet. An eye at a height of 11000
    > meters / 36100 feet can see the horizon a bit over 250 miles / 425 KM
    > away. That one way distance is about 2 percent of the circumference of
    > the earth, or 7.2 degrees of Lat/Lon. Look straight ahead, and your
    > peripheral vision should be able to see the curvature off to the left and
    > right. Your biggest problem is seeing that far through the smoke, haze,
    > water vapo[u]r and crap in the air. But even the ancient Greeks and
    > Egyptians knew that the earth was round because they could watch a ship
    > sail away, and the further away it was, the higher you had to be to see
    > it - on the surface, first the hull would disappear below the horizon,
    > then the sails, and finally the top of the masts. Why.

    That would at most prove a dome, not a sphere. Either that or the ship sank.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  17. Re: Ubuntu based "supercomputer"

    Moe Trin :

    > * Mock-Mainframe, The Mock Mainframe Mini-HOWTO
    > Updated: Oct 2005. A brief description of a standard way to set up and
    > work with a computer network for a small group of people that is
    > inexpensive to build, easy to administer, and relatively safe.

    Thank you. That's well worth looking at, and I had no idea it exists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2