CLI Ubuntu page complete - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CLI Ubuntu page complete - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape, so my apologies if some of this material seems a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. CLI Ubuntu page complete

    Hi,

    I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

    It covers:

    1. Ripping music cds to mp3 and ogg using abcde
    2. Copying single and dual layer DVDs using vobcopy
    3. Downloading real audio streams using mplayer

    and hopefully exposes the power of the CLI to many who are perhaps
    unaware of it.

    I would love some feedback on the page in its final form and
    correction of any errors. I have also posted some of the material on
    the Ubuntu Forums as 'Howtos' in case my personal site dies :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  2. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 05:02:49 +0000 (UTC) andrew
    wrote:

    > I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    > have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    > so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:

    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

    > It covers:

    > 1. Ripping music cds to mp3 and ogg using abcde
    > 2. Copying single and dual layer DVDs using vobcopy
    > 3. Downloading real audio streams using mplayer

    > and hopefully exposes the power of the CLI to many who are perhaps
    > unaware of it.

    > I would love some feedback on the page in its final form and
    > correction of any errors. I have also posted some of the material on
    > the Ubuntu Forums as 'Howtos' in case my personal site dies :-)

    Well done, Andrew! I hope this doesn't mean, though, that you're no
    longer going to create How To pages! I like your idea of also posting
    the information in the forums. You might also want to check out
    http://www.ubuntuguide.org to see if your instructions are needed
    there. You can either post a link to your page or type in the
    instructions. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  3. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    > have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    > so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:
    >
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html
    >
    > It covers:
    >
    > 1. Ripping music cds to mp3 and ogg using abcde
    > 2. Copying single and dual layer DVDs using vobcopy
    > 3. Downloading real audio streams using mplayer
    >
    > and hopefully exposes the power of the CLI to many who are perhaps
    > unaware of it.
    >
    > I would love some feedback on the page in its final form and
    > correction of any errors. I have also posted some of the material on
    > the Ubuntu Forums as 'Howtos' in case my personal site dies :-)
    >
    > Andrew

    Good work mate. I've bookmarked it and will work through it at my
    leisure. From what I can see it looks good.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    Moog writes:

    > andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    >> have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    >> so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:
    >>
    >> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html
    >>
    >> It covers:
    >>
    >> 1. Ripping music cds to mp3 and ogg using abcde
    >> 2. Copying single and dual layer DVDs using vobcopy
    >> 3. Downloading real audio streams using mplayer
    >>
    >> and hopefully exposes the power of the CLI to many who are perhaps
    >> unaware of it.
    >>
    >> I would love some feedback on the page in its final form and
    >> correction of any errors. I have also posted some of the material on
    >> the Ubuntu Forums as 'Howtos' in case my personal site dies :-)
    >>
    >> Andrew

    > Good work mate. I've bookmarked it and will work through it at my
    > leisure. From what I can see it looks good.

    You might want to look at my Radio 4 script to see an easy way to play BBC
    streams:

    mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

    Short & sweet.

    --
    Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won't see his face.

  5. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-04, Hadron wrote:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    >>> have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    >>> so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:
    >>>
    >>> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

    [...]

    > You might want to look at my Radio 4 script to see an easy way to play BBC
    > streams:
    >
    > mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

    Thanks for that, it certainly gets around the pain of extracting the
    ..rm or .ra address although I could not incorporate this into the
    syntax to actually _save_ the stream. But I will work on that and
    certainly remember the playlist option.

    It has a typically obscure man entry:

    playlist
    Play files according to a playlist file (ASX, Winamp, SMIL, or
    one-file-per-line format). NOTE: This option is considered an entry
    so options found after it will apply only to the elements of this
    playlist.FIXME: This needs to be clarified and documented thoroughly.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  6. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-04, Little Girl wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 05:02:49 +0000 (UTC) andrew
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    >> have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    >> so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:

    >> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

    [...]

    > Well done, Andrew! I hope this doesn't mean, though, that you're no
    > longer going to create How To pages! I like your idea of also posting
    > the information in the forums. You might also want to check out
    > http://www.ubuntuguide.org to see if your instructions are needed
    > there. You can either post a link to your page or type in the
    > instructions. (:

    Thanks LG. I _really_ need to scale back work on these pages which
    take an immense amount of time to produce. Competition for this time
    includes, in no particular order:

    1. Wife
    2. Children
    3. Grandchild (living with us)
    4. Full time employment
    5. University Degree (BA part time)
    6. Dog

    etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    Silmarillion ...........

    In frustration at his life,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  7. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-04, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-09-04, Hadron wrote:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > [...]
    >
    >> You might want to look at my Radio 4 script to see an easy way to play BBC
    >> streams:
    >>
    >> mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

    > Thanks for that, it certainly gets around the pain of extracting the
    > .rm or .ra address although I could not incorporate this into the
    > syntax to actually _save_ the stream. But I will work on that and
    > certainly remember the playlist option.

    Got it!!! Try this, it is all one command but I have broken it in two
    so will not go over 70 characters:

    mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram
    -ao pcm:file=news_stream.wav -vc null -vo null

    Simply had to add the other commands _after_ -playlist not
    _before_ as I had them on the web page.

    Andrew
    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  8. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 05:02:49 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have finally completed a page devoted to using the CLI in Ubuntu. I
    > have asked on this NG a few times for review as the page took shape,
    > so my apologies if some of this material seems a little old:
    >
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html
    >
    > It covers:
    >
    > 1. Ripping music cds to mp3 and ogg using abcde
    > 2. Copying single and dual layer DVDs using vobcopy
    > 3. Downloading real audio streams using mplayer
    >
    > and hopefully exposes the power of the CLI to many who are perhaps
    > unaware of it.
    >
    > I would love some feedback on the page in its final form and
    > correction of any errors. I have also posted some of the material on
    > the Ubuntu Forums as 'Howtos' in case my personal site dies :-)
    >
    > Andrew

    Hi Andrew,
    I think you did a fine job. I have it bookmarked (which means it makes the
    cut).

    --
    Mike McGinn
    "more kidneys than eyes!"

  9. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-04, andrew wrote:

    > Thanks LG. I _really_ need to scale back work on these pages which
    > take an immense amount of time to produce. Competition for this time
    > includes, in no particular order:
    >
    > 1. Wife
    > 2. Children
    > 3. Grandchild (living with us)
    > 4. Full time employment
    > 5. University Degree (BA part time)
    > 6. Dog
    >
    > etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    > frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    > time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    > sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    > Silmarillion ...........

    My God, Man! You put me to shame! AAMOF, I get tired just thinking
    about the way you've tackled life.

    But, as a frequent beneficiary of your generosity in setting up the
    howto pages, I am grateful for your fervid approach to Linux.
    --
    Terry
    _______________

  10. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    in 14178 20070905 001026 andrew wrote:

    >etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    >frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    >time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    >sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    >Silmarillion ...........
    >
    >In frustration at his life,

    I understand (and share) your frustration, but it's a 1000 times better than being bored!

  11. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    * Bob Martin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > in 14178 20070905 001026 andrew wrote:

    >>etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    >>frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    >>time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    >>sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    >>Silmarillion ...........

    >>In frustration at his life,

    > I understand (and share) your frustration, but it's a 1000 times better than being bored!

    Or Dead.

    --
    David

    Counting in octal is just like counting in decimal--if you don't use your thumbs.
    -- Tom Lehrer

  12. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-05, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    > * Bob Martin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> in 14178 20070905 001026 andrew wrote:

    >>>etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    >>>frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    >>>time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    >>>sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    >>>Silmarillion ...........

    >>>In frustration at his life,

    >> I understand (and share) your frustration, but it's a 1000 times better than being bored!

    > Or Dead.

    Well, that remains hypothetical, as none of us here (I presume) has
    any basis for comparison. But I appreciate your point.

    --
    Terry
    _______________
    "Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address."
    -Lane Olinghouse

  13. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:10:26 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:

    > reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the Silmarillion

    You might want to investigate the audio version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J...dp/0553456067/

    Martin Shaw does an amazing job with the reading.

    --
    Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project number #10548

    The "mypacks.net" address from which this message was sent is
    legitimate and not spam-trapped. It is, however, disposable.

  14. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-06, Michael DeBusk wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:10:26 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    >
    >> reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the Silmarillion

    > You might want to investigate the audio version:
    > http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J...dp/0553456067/
    >
    > Martin Shaw does an amazing job with the reading.

    14 hours of reading, 6 cds !! Thanks I have bookmarked it and will
    speak to she-who-must-be-obeyed about a 47th birthday present.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  15. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > * Bob Martin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> in 14178 20070905 001026 andrew wrote:

    >>>etc etc. I know we are all mostly in the same boat but it is
    >>>frustrating attimes. I would dearly _love_ to spend a huge amount of
    >>>time on irrsi, rewrite some aspects of my site, read a pile of books
    >>>sitting on my shelf, reread lord of the rings and big pieces of the
    >>>Silmarillion ...........

    >>>In frustration at his life,

    >> I understand (and share) your frustration, but it's a 1000 times better than being bored!

    > Or Dead.

    Have you ever been dead?

    Florian

  16. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    * Florian Diesch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> * Bob Martin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I understand (and share) your frustration, but it's a 1000 times
    >>> better than being bored!

    >> Or Dead.

    > Have you ever been dead?

    Have you? If I told you yes, would you believe me?

    Does everyone on this group lack a freaking sense of humor?

    --
    David

  17. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > Does everyone on this group lack a freaking sense of humor?

    No. I have a great sense of humour. It's just that no other bloody
    bugger on here understands it.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> <...>
    >> Does everyone on this group lack a freaking sense of humor?

    > No. I have a great sense of humour. It's just that no other bloody
    > bugger on here understands it.

    Apparently I suffer from the same problem.

    --
    David

    For every bloke who makes his mark, there's half a dozen waiting to rub it out.
    -- Andy Capp

  19. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    On 2007-09-06, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    > * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> <...>
    >>> Does everyone on this group lack a freaking sense of humor?

    >> No. I have a great sense of humour. It's just that no other bloody
    >> bugger on here understands it.

    > Apparently I suffer from the same problem.

    Well, I have a joke:

    Q. What do you do when a crazed Rottweiler humps your leg?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  20. Re: CLI Ubuntu page complete

    andrew writes:

    > On 2007-09-06, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >> * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>> SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No. I have a great sense of humour. It's just that no other bloody
    >>> bugger on here understands it.

    >> Apparently I suffer from the same problem.

    > Well, I have a joke:
    >
    > Q. What do you do when a crazed Rottweiler humps your leg?
    >
    > Andrew

    Fake it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast