Just hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, works very well :-))) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Just hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, works very well :-))) - Ubuntu ; Hi, I hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, and it works very well in Feysty. I tried it before in Edgy, but it did not work at all (USB HW not detected). With thanks to Louis Lobo from the ...

  1. Just hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, works very well :-)))

    Hi,

    I hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, and it works very well in
    Feysty. I tried it before in Edgy, but it did not work at all (USB HW
    not detected).
    With thanks to Louis Lobo from the Roland keyboard club, moog and some
    other people in this group.
    I thought I would share this, so other people can see how it is done.

    - with synaptic, install qjackctl (jack soundsystem)
    and Rosegarden (midi play & recording application)

    - Louis Lobo suggested that USB midi support had to be add in the
    distro, but apparently in Feysty it is there by default.

    - connect the USB cable.

    - In the G70, enable access to the internal memory via USB
    This makes it possible to transfer midi files and arranger styles
    between PC and G70. It is also possible to copy a new firmware into
    the G70.
    when you do this, immediately Nautilus pops up, making the internal
    memory of the G70 accessible as if it is a USB memory stick.

    - In the G70, change the midi interface from classical midi to USB.

    - start jack control from the sound & video application menu and connect
    the G70 midi in and midi out interfaces to the input and output ports.
    The G70 midi ports appear in the interfaces list, once you did the
    previous step on the G70.

    - start the rosegarden (or another) midi application and set the play &
    record devices to the G70 midi ports.

    - Voila, you can start controlling the G70 via your PC

    When starting Rosegarden, I got following warning message:
    System timer resolution is too low
    Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source for MIDI
    performance.
    This may mean you are using a Linux system with the kernel timer
    resolution set too low. Please contact your Linux distributor for more
    information.

    I ignored it, and the application just works.
    Perhaps, when you have a complex midi file with lots of fast notes,
    this could pose problems.
    Does anyone have an idea on where to find this system kernel timer
    resolution parameter, so I can try to increase it in order not to have
    this warning anymore ?

    --

    Marc

  2. Re: Just hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, works very well

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:26:12 +0000, marc wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I hooked up my Roland G70 USB-midi keyboard, and it works very well in
    > Feysty. I tried it before in Edgy, but it did not work at all (USB HW
    > not detected).
    > With thanks to Louis Lobo from the Roland keyboard club, moog and some
    > other people in this group.
    > I thought I would share this, so other people can see how it is done.
    >
    > - with synaptic, install qjackctl (jack soundsystem)
    > and Rosegarden (midi play & recording application)
    >
    > - Louis Lobo suggested that USB midi support had to be add in the
    > distro, but apparently in Feysty it is there by default.
    >
    > - connect the USB cable.
    >
    > - In the G70, enable access to the internal memory via USB
    > This makes it possible to transfer midi files and arranger styles
    > between PC and G70. It is also possible to copy a new firmware into
    > the G70.
    > when you do this, immediately Nautilus pops up, making the internal
    > memory of the G70 accessible as if it is a USB memory stick.
    >
    > - In the G70, change the midi interface from classical midi to USB.
    >
    > - start jack control from the sound & video application menu and connect
    > the G70 midi in and midi out interfaces to the input and output ports.
    > The G70 midi ports appear in the interfaces list, once you did the
    > previous step on the G70.
    >
    > - start the rosegarden (or another) midi application and set the play &
    > record devices to the G70 midi ports.
    >
    > - Voila, you can start controlling the G70 via your PC
    >
    > When starting Rosegarden, I got following warning message:
    > System timer resolution is too low
    > Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source for MIDI
    > performance.
    > This may mean you are using a Linux system with the kernel timer
    > resolution set too low. Please contact your Linux distributor for more
    > information.
    >
    > I ignored it, and the application just works.
    > Perhaps, when you have a complex midi file with lots of fast notes,
    > this could pose problems.
    > Does anyone have an idea on where to find this system kernel timer
    > resolution parameter, so I can try to increase it in order not to have
    > this warning anymore ?

    You need to install a different kernel.

    Right now you are running the following Kernel image:

    linux-image-generic

    Which should resolve to:

    2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:55:27 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

    What you want is the low-latency version of this, which is
    linux-image-lowlatency

    You can either install it via synaptic or just run this from the command
    line:

    sudo aptitude install linux-image-lowlatency

    And that will install the low latency kernel.

    Now what I am *not* sure about is which kernel grub will automatically
    choose on bootup when both generic and lowlatency are installed.

    So you may need to choose the correct kernel from your grub boot menu.

    Once you have confirmed that the low latency kernel is running properly
    and you have no problems, you should be able to remove the generic kernel.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは