I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on an old Compaq computer with Windows 98 SE.

Using ndiswrapper, I installed the driver for the D-Link DWL-G510
wireless card. While trying to configure the wireless, the system
crashed. I am now unable to get Ubuntu running. Here are the results
for various boot-menu selections.

1.) Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-gneric
The Ubuntu splash screen comes up, the progress bar gets about
one-third of the way, then stops. The Caps-lock and Scroll-lock
lights on the keyboard flash on and off.

2.) Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
The system stars up, with lots of messages of things being loaded.
Then I get nothing but this message repeated continuosly:
"[xxx.xxxxxx] atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa/0060/serio0. Some program
might be trying access hardware directly." (The xxx.xxxxxx are
contiually changing digits.) The Caps-lock and Scroll-lock lights on
the keyboard flash on and off.

3.) Typing "c"
I get a command line console with a "grub>" prompt.

4.) Windows 95/98/Me
Windows starts up and runs.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I know almost nothing about Unix,
so I there is something I need to do using the command line, please
give me low level instructions. Many thanks in advance.