Sample Streaming Real Audio File?? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Sample Streaming Real Audio File?? - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have almost finished a walkthrough for downloading streaming Real Audio files for offline listening using the command line interface. I need a small sample realaudio _streaming_ file to use as a demonstration. Can anybody help out with this? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

  1. Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    Hi,

    I have almost finished a walkthrough for downloading streaming Real
    Audio files for offline listening using the command line interface. I
    need a small sample realaudio _streaming_ file to use as a
    demonstration.

    Can anybody help out with this? I tried the Real Audio site but their
    files were mostly propaganda, radio stations with streaming audio
    always change the file names etc.

    Just to give a little back below is the syntax I have been using:

    mplayer -ao pcm:file=stream.wav rtsp://url.rm -vc null -vo null

    Then convert to ogg or mp3:

    oggenc stream.wav -q 6 -o filename.ogg
    lame stream.wav --preset standard -o filename.mp3

    All I need is a decent, never changing file name, zero propaganda
    streaming real audio file :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  2. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:59:28 +0000, andrew wrote:
    > All I need is a decent, never changing file name, zero propaganda
    > streaming real audio file :-)


    Pop over to the BBC web site at www.bbc.co.uk/radio, and select a likely
    station. Somewhere on the station's web page will be a "listen live" link
    that invokes the web-based player, below the controls of which is another
    link to "listen in stand alone realplayer". That's a link to a .ram file,
    whose name may vary occasionally.

    use wget to fetch the .ram file, and open it with a text editor. Inside
    is the name of the streaming .ra file, and I find those names have never
    changed in all the time I have had this particular system. I made a
    collection of some of them for my realplayer favourites list.

  3. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have almost finished a walkthrough for downloading streaming Real
    > Audio files for offline listening using the command line interface. I
    > need a small sample realaudio _streaming_ file to use as a
    > demonstration.
    >
    > Can anybody help out with this? I tried the Real Audio site but their
    > files were mostly propaganda, radio stations with streaming audio
    > always change the file names etc.
    >
    > Just to give a little back below is the syntax I have been using:
    >
    > mplayer -ao pcm:file=stream.wav rtsp://url.rm -vc null -vo null
    >
    > Then convert to ogg or mp3:
    >
    > oggenc stream.wav -q 6 -o filename.ogg
    > lame stream.wav --preset standard -o filename.mp3
    >
    > All I need is a decent, never changing file name, zero propaganda
    > streaming real audio file :-)
    >
    > Andrew



    Get your good foot on:

    http://www.radiostaddenhaag.nl/stad.ram

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  4. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    On 2007-09-03, Robert Harvey wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:59:28 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >> All I need is a decent, never changing file name, zero propaganda
    >> streaming real audio file :-)

    >
    > Pop over to the BBC web site at www.bbc.co.uk/radio, and select a likely
    > station. Somewhere on the station's web page will be a "listen live" link
    > that invokes the web-based player, below the controls of which is another
    > link to "listen in stand alone realplayer". That's a link to a .ram file,
    > whose name may vary occasionally.


    Looks perfect! I will probably use the 5 minute world news bulletin as
    a demonstration file. Thanks!

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  5. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    John F. Morse wrote:

    [Snip}

    Attention fully off topic!

    Uh? John F. Morce, the legal owner of the RemoteAccess BBS package?

    (Y)es (N)o (L)ogout?

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  6. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    ml2mst wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    > [Snip}
    >
    > Attention fully off topic!
    >
    > Uh? John F. Morce, the legal owner of the RemoteAccess BBS package?
    >
    > (Y)es (N)o (L)ogout?
    >



    According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RemoteAccess

    "Andrew Milner released his final version of RA (2.50) in May of 1996.
    By that time, many System Operators switched over from running Bulletin
    Boards to becoming Internet Service Providers. Milner was one such
    System Operator, and after version 2.50 he stopped development. In April
    1997 Milner put the rights and source code up for sale to the highest
    bidder, and it was sold in December 1997 to Bruce Morse in the USA.
    Morse released some minor updates including a Y2K fix, but did not add
    any new features to the code. Morse's final version (2.62) was released
    in August 2000. Bruce Morse continues to own the code today and RA is
    still available as shareware, as well as a commercial version known as
    RemoteAccess-Professional."

    I ran Hermes on a Macintosh for many years (c. 1990 - 2001).

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  7. Re: Sample Streaming Real Audio File??

    On 2007-09-03, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-09-03, Robert Harvey wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:59:28 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >>> All I need is a decent, never changing file name, zero propaganda
    >>> streaming real audio file :-)

    >>
    >> Pop over to the BBC web site at www.bbc.co.uk/radio, and select a likely
    >> station. Somewhere on the station's web page will be a "listen live" link
    >> that invokes the web-based player, below the controls of which is another
    >> link to "listen in stand alone realplayer". That's a link to a .ram file,
    >> whose name may vary occasionally.

    >
    > Looks perfect! I will probably use the 5 minute world news bulletin as
    > a demonstration file. Thanks!


    Finally done:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstron..._cli.html#real

    Let me know if anyone sees errors?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

+ Reply to Thread