real 10 player plugin - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on real 10 player plugin - Ubuntu ; Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which should I get & how do I go about installing it. Thanks in advance for help. ...

  1. real 10 player plugin

    Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    should I get & how do I go about installing it.

    Thanks in advance for help.

  2. Re: real 10 player plugin

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...8RealPlayer.29

    --
    David

    May be too intense for some viewers.

  3. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:28:40 -0500, Smitty wrote:

    > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    > should I get & how do I go about installing it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for help.

    I just searched for it in Synaptic as "realplay" and installed it from
    there. of course, I had added a bunch of repositories as suggested on the
    Ubuntu support pages, including the commercial one

    Using system - administration - software sources, in the 3rd party tab,
    you can add
    type: binary
    URI: http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu
    Components: main

    In the same tab, I have the medibuntu repository, that gets you the codes
    "banned" in the USA (I live in the UK, so I don't care)
    Type: Binary
    URI: http://packages.medibuntu.org/
    Components: free non-free

  4. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On 2007-09-03, Smitty wrote:
    > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    > should I get & how do I go about installing it.

    If you are new to _linux_ as well as Ubuntu you might just keep in the
    back of your mind that mplayer will play real audio files. The gui sux
    a little but the CLI plays it brilliantly.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  5. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 03:37:03 -0500
    Robert Harvey wrote:

    > I just searched for it in Synaptic as "realplay" and installed it from
    > there. of course, I had added a bunch of repositories as suggested on the
    > Ubuntu support pages, including the commercial one

    That way works better for getting the plug-ins to work in Firefox,
    installing from the .bin file from Real's site usually involves linking
    some libs in the firefox plugins dir.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  6. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:03:12 +0000 (UTC)
    andrew wrote:

    > On 2007-09-03, Smitty wrote:
    > > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    > > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    > > should I get & how do I go about installing it.

    > If you are new to _linux_ as well as Ubuntu you might just keep in the
    > back of your mind that mplayer will play real audio files. The gui sux
    > a little but the CLI plays it brilliantly.

    Do you find a sound quality difference between GUI and CUI? I've not
    tried the CUI but I did find a loss in quality compared to RealPlayer,
    e.g. on Radio 1 it sounded like it was 0.05Mhz out of tune.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  7. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:28:40 -0500, Smitty wrote:

    > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    > should I get & how do I go about installing it.

    Download the *.bin. Open a terminal and cd to the directory where
    Realplayer is. Type chmod +x r RealPlayer10GOLD.bin . Then type
    ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin , follow instructions.

  8. Re: real 10 player plugin

    Smitty wrote:
    > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    > should I get & how do I go about installing it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for help.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Thanks for the coeback to all. I've go it (realplayer) installed &
    works. Shows up in firefos, but craps out. Probable repository thing,
    which nucklehead doesn't have a clue on...

    doooh!

  9. Re: real 10 player plugin

    On 2007-09-03, Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:03:12 +0000 (UTC)
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-09-03, Smitty wrote:
    >> > Totally new to linux ubuntu and firefox. Need to know how to install
    >> > realplayer 10. Download site offers a .bin and a redhatpkg. which
    >> > should I get & how do I go about installing it.

    >> If you are new to _linux_ as well as Ubuntu you might just keep in the
    >> back of your mind that mplayer will play real audio files. The gui sux
    >> a little but the CLI plays it brilliantly.

    > Do you find a sound quality difference between GUI and CUI? I've not
    > tried the CUI but I did find a loss in quality compared to RealPlayer,
    > e.g. on Radio 1 it sounded like it was 0.05Mhz out of tune.

    I think there is a slight _improvement_ in the sound quality with the
    CLI but I will admit that the difference is _not_ enormous. So I think
    that if the tools, such as mplayer, ogg123, flac123 are available you
    should try them, but if they are not the world will not end :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html