wine troubles - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wine troubles - Ubuntu ; Hi, I've got wine installed but am having difficulty following directions. Dual boot XP on laptop's hd/Feisty on usb hd. I want to run an XP game in Feisty. I read the wine file on the Ubuntu wiki and think ...

  1. wine troubles

    Hi,

    I've got wine installed but am having difficulty following directions.
    Dual boot XP on laptop's hd/Feisty on usb hd. I want to run an XP game in
    Feisty. I read the wine file on the Ubuntu wiki and think I followed the
    instructions correctly but the exe doesn't show up in the virtual "c"
    drive in .wine. Here's what I did; what am I missing?:

    Copied the folder the game is in to the Ubuntu desktop
    Launched a terminal and cd to it
    Typed wine Wonders.exe
    A splash screen asked for the key to the game--I added it and
    then got the button "play game", clicked it and then got a popup:

    "OLE Error 80004001"
    and in the terminal:
    errle:CoGetClassObject class {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} not
    registered errle:create_server class
    {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} not registered
    errle:CoGetClassObject no class object
    {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} could be created for context 0x5
    fixme:msxml:xmlnode_get_namespaceURI
    errle:CoGetClassObject class {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} not
    registered errle:create_server class
    {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} not registered
    errle:CoGetClassObject no class object
    {88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5} could be created for context 0x5
    fixme:msxml:xmlnode_get_namespaceURI

    So, two questions:
    1. Is wine working the way it should and I should be trying to run an
    installer for the game rather than just grabbing the folder already
    installed in XP?

    2.Alternatively, can wine run programs directly from the windows drive
    without moving them to the Ubuntu partition.

    Semi-clueless,
    Mouse

  2. Re: wine troubles

    Mouse wrote:

    > I've got wine installed but am having difficulty following directions.

    Yes.

    > I read the wine file on the Ubuntu wiki and think I
    > followed the instructions correctly

    No.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ght=%28wine%29
    Installing Wine
    Installing Windows Applications Using Wine
    To start/run Windows programs using Wine

    > Copied the folder the game is in to the Ubuntu desktop

    That isn't what the Wine page sez. It sez install the app.

    > So, two questions:
    > 1. Is wine working the way it should and I should be trying to run an
    > installer for the game rather than just grabbing the folder already
    > installed in XP?

    Installer

    > 2.Alternatively, can wine run programs directly from the windows drive
    > without moving them to the Ubuntu partition.

    No

    http://appdb.winehq.org/ Wine Application Database
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=3147 Age of Wonders is a
    turn-based game combining the best elements of strategy, adventure and
    role-playing.

    Ver - Rating - Wine ver - Test results - Comments
    1.36 -Gold - 0.9.34. - 6 - 10

    RE: AoW will not work without this modification -- Yes, with later Wine
    versions this doesn't seem to be necessary, thanks for the note. For
    reference, the modification (again, no longer needed) is below:

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: wine troubles

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 07:23:52 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mouse wrote:
    >
    >> I've got wine installed but am having difficulty following directions.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> I read the wine file on the Ubuntu wiki and think I
    >> followed the instructions correctly

    > No.
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ght=%28wine%29
    > Installing Wine
    > Installing Windows Applications Using Wine
    > To start/run Windows programs using Wine
    >
    >> Copied the folder the game is in to the Ubuntu desktop

    > That isn't what the Wine page sez. It sez install the app.
    >
    >> So, two questions:
    >> 1. Is wine working the way it should and I should be trying to run an
    >> installer for the game rather than just grabbing the folder already
    >> installed in XP?

    > Installer
    >
    >> 2.Alternatively, can wine run programs directly from the windows drive
    >> without moving them to the Ubuntu partition.

    > No
    >
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/ Wine Application Database
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=3147 Age of Wonders is a
    > turn-based game combining the best elements of strategy, adventure and
    > role-playing.
    >
    > Ver - Rating - Wine ver - Test results - Comments
    > 1.36 -Gold - 0.9.34. - 6 - 10
    >
    > RE: AoW will not work without this modification -- Yes, with later Wine
    > versions this doesn't seem to be necessary, thanks for the note. For
    > reference, the modification (again, no longer needed) is below:

    Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the help, links and clarifications.

    Mouse

  4. Re: wine troubles

    On 2007-09-02, Mike Easter blabbered on and on about Re: wine troubles in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w

    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ght=%28wine%29
    > Installing Wine
    > Installing Windows Applications Using Wine
    > To start/run Windows programs using Wine

    Mr Easter,

    Thank you so much for posting those links. While there are not too many
    windows applications that I would like to use under Linux, I have
    approx. 200 CD/DVD games that will run only under Windows and with Wine
    installed, I may be able to play BF Vietnam or CSI Miami with Linux.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  5. Re: wine troubles

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    > On 2007-09-02, Mike Easter blabbered on and on about Re: wine troubles in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ght=%28wine%29
    >> Installing Wine
    >> Installing Windows Applications Using Wine
    >> To start/run Windows programs using Wine
    >>

    > Mr Easter,
    >
    > Thank you so much for posting those links. While there are not too many
    > windows applications that I would like to use under Linux, I have
    > approx. 200 CD/DVD games that will run only under Windows and with Wine
    > installed, I may be able to play BF Vietnam or CSI Miami with Linux.

    You might want to also install wine-doors

    http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/

    Just helps a bit with set-ups.

    Ram

  6. Re: wine troubles

    On 02 Sep 2007 13:44:44 GMT
    Mouse wrote:

    > So, two questions:
    > 1. Is wine working the way it should and I should be trying to run an
    > installer for the game rather than just grabbing the folder already
    > installed in XP?

    You got it. Without running the installer, the game's information
    doesn't make it into the registry. Wine runs much like windows, and
    without updating the registry, you'll have problems with much Windows
    software.

    > 2.Alternatively, can wine run programs directly from the windows drive
    > without moving them to the Ubuntu partition.

    If the app can be run without a registry update, you could do this. If
    the registry needs updating, you could make it work, but it will take
    more work. Basically, you'd use the installer to get it installed to
    it's location on the Windows drive. Once the installer is done, if the
    app is decently written, you should be able to use it from Wine or
    Windows...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: wine troubles

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:43:18 GMT
    Ram wrote:

    > You might want to also install wine-doors
    >
    > http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
    >
    > Just helps a bit with set-ups.

    Thanks for that link. Installed it, and it looks very promising. I'll
    try installing a couple of the apps when I have more time, but if it
    works with everything listed, it is indeed a good thing...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X