Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu ; Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian? I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

  1. Ubuntu to Debian

    Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?

    I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    like they do in Ubuntu.

    e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?

    I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?

    Any comments gratefully received.

    --
    The whole history of computers is rampant with cheerleading at best and
    bigotry at worst.

  2. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:16:35 +0200, Hadron
    wrote:

    >Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?

    >I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >like they do in Ubuntu.

    >e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?

    >I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?

    >Any comments gratefully received.

    I tried it. It didn't work for me. Highest video resolution Debian would
    allow was 800 x 600. It did not offer read-write NTFS support, and I didn't
    see any way to get it .. Both of those were deal-breakers for me. I'd love
    to try Debian, because it is the core of so many good distros: Knoppix and
    Ubuntu to name two. But, I suspect one of the reasons it's so stable is it
    takes forever to get problems resolved, so it's always a little behind the
    others.

  3. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:16:35 +0200, Hadron
    wrote:

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?

    Not exactly in my case: I used Debian first.

    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.

    In general, things that "just work" in Ubuntu will "just work" in
    Debian. There may be exceptions for some drivers whose licences are
    deemed not to comply with the stringent Debian Free Software
    Guidelines, and some GUI tools may not be installed by default.

    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?

    It all depends on the specific devices. The best I can suggest is to
    try it and see what happens. Debian and Ubuntu will happily sit side
    by side on the same disk.

    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?

    There are three official repositories for Debian:

    1. Stable - the current release. Usually updated only with security
    fixes. At present this is probably mostly a little older than Ubuntu
    7.04.

    2. Testing - working towards the next release. The Testing repository
    is updated frequently with software from the Unstable repository
    that doesn't have any severe known bugs. At present, this is somewhat
    newer than Ubuntu 7.04, but may have significant bugs.

    3. Unstable - contains new stuff that may be badly broken (but usually
    isn't).

    In addition, there's

    4. Experimental - a partial repository containing packages that are
    considered too risky even for Unstable.

    You can mix and match: for instance, my desktop box mostly uses
    Testing, except a few packages from Experimental and their
    dependencies from Unstable.

    You can add extra repositories at will: for instance, I use packages
    from debian-multimedia.org for non-free software such as RealPlayer.

    > Any comments gratefully received.

    If you decide to try Debian, these are the obvious sources of help:

    Usenet: alt.os.linux.debian (low volume compared with AOLU, no flame
    wars)

    Mailing Lists: debian-user (also readable as news:linux.debian.user or
    via Gmane)

    IRC: #debian (very high traffic)

    And there are Debian-specific forums at sites like
    linux-questions.org.

    --
    PJR :-)

  4. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:59:51 -0400
    George Peatty wrote:

    > I tried it. It didn't work for me. Highest video resolution Debian would
    > allow was 800 x 600. It did not offer read-write NTFS support, and I didn't
    > see any way to get it .. Both of those were deal-breakers for me. I'd love
    > to try Debian, because it is the core of so many good distros: Knoppix and
    > Ubuntu to name two. But, I suspect one of the reasons it's so stable is it
    > takes forever to get problems resolved, so it's always a little behind the
    > others.

    I just installed it on one box, running at 1280x1024 (Radeon 9600).
    Only installed it yesterday so haven't found everything yet.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  5. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >
    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.
    >
    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >
    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received.

    i have several linux installs in my house. i've done a debian etch install
    on a friends laptop, went well everything but the sound worked "out of the
    box" a few days later after much googling with little luck on
    finding a solution, it downloaded a update (i think alsa got updated with
    those updates there were several and i didn't pay that close of attention)
    the sound magically fixed itself.

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 02 Sep 2007 13:16:44 GMT
    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > There are three official repositories for Debian:

    I must investigate these, as it is there's a few things I have
    installed in Ubuntu that aren't available on the Debian box. DeVeDe for
    example, which if it ever finishes encoding on what I previously
    thought was a pretty fast CPU I'll be able to tell if it's any good and
    worth installing on there :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  7. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    http://www.debian.org/

    --
    l'air du temps

  8. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:16:35
    +0200 by typing:

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >
    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.
    >
    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working
    > again? Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB
    > management?
    >
    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received.

    alt.os.linux.debian

    You're off topic in here. Ubuntu is *based* on debian, but if you want
    the full rundown, speak to debian users.

    As an aside, I believe it is possible to migrate to Debian just by
    replacing your repo sources to Debian ones, although this is just
    something I've come across in the forums.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    * Hadron wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?

    Funny you should mention that. I have recently become fascinated by
    Virtual Machines. Having found a free way using the repository version
    of the VMPlayer you can actually create new VM's very easily.

    http://www.easyvmx.com

    Makes it ridiculously easy.

    Anyway, I created a vm using debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso as a
    base and chose not to install any desktop just yet. Since I have not
    been able to boot to a console since my Mandr* days (I will leave that
    for another thread) I am going to play around with it for a bit.

    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.

    So far so good, but as I said, no X yet.

    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?

    Was the issued the driver or the config file. Couldn't you just copy it
    over if so?

    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?

    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?

    > Any comments gratefully received.

    That's all I have for now. Of course a VM is completely different then
    dealing with real world hardware so YMMV.

    --
    David

    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man's, I mean.
    -- Mark Twain

  10. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    jane doa wrote:

    > On 2007-09-02, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>

    > http://www.debian.org/

    Or http://sidux.com, if you want latest-revision stuff and can accept a
    slight risk of some instability.

    --
    David Aldred

  11. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >
    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.
    >
    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >
    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received.

    I tried it on a laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) without any joy whatsoever. I
    couldn't even get x to start. I swiftly gave up, but it was possibly
    an error of mine.

    The way I understand debian is that Etch is the stable version but you
    can install the next version (testing/unstable) by changing your
    sources.list to lenny from etch.

    FWIW, it is possible to mix ubuntu and debian in your ubuntu sources
    list.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>
    >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received.

    > I tried it on a laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) without any joy whatsoever. I
    > couldn't even get x to start. I swiftly gave up, but it was possibly
    > an error of mine.

    The mine too. The first "recommendation" I got was from some fool who
    insisted "it all just worked" (kind of why I feel for nOObs
    sometimes). I never got within a Gnats knacker of getting debian running
    from the installer. No X, No sound. No USB for some reason. I guess it
    might be better now, and I am tempted to try but I have a feeling that
    most of the "modern improvements" like upstart, video & sound which
    work, network manager etc will all be missing. It's an indication of how
    much the Ubuntu team have done IMO.

    > The way I understand debian is that Etch is the stable version but you
    > can install the next version (testing/unstable) by changing your
    > sources.list to lenny from etch.
    >
    > FWIW, it is possible to mix ubuntu and debian in your ubuntu sources
    > list.

    Hmm, yes, but then that kind of defeats the object of going Debian
    doesn't it? Debian with Ubuntu sources is pretty much Ubuntu :-;

  13. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 2 Sep 2007 13:46:15 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > The way I understand debian is that Etch is the stable version but you
    > can install the next version (testing/unstable) by changing your
    > sources.list to lenny from etch.

    Yes, you can easily upgrade, though I'd suggest *adding* testing/lenny
    to the sources.list, leaving yourself the option of downgrading any
    problematic packages.

    You can also use the latest development version of the installer to
    get lenny/testing from the start:

    > FWIW, it is possible to mix ubuntu and debian in your ubuntu sources
    > list.

    It's certainly possible, but there may be enough divergence between
    Debian and Ubuntu for blending them to cause problems.

    --
    PJR :-)

  14. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    > > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >>
    > >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    > >>
    > >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable
    > >> with Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will
    > >> "just work" like they do in Ubuntu.
    > >>
    > >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working
    > >> again? Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about
    > >> UUID/USB management?
    > >>
    > >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    > >>
    > >> Any comments gratefully received.

    > > I tried it on a laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) without any joy whatsoever.
    > > I couldn't even get x to start. I swiftly gave up, but it was
    > > possibly an error of mine.

    > The mine too. The first "recommendation" I got was from some fool who
    > insisted "it all just worked" (kind of why I feel for nOObs
    > sometimes). I never got within a Gnats knacker of getting debian
    > running from the installer. No X, No sound. No USB for some reason. I
    > guess it might be better now, and I am tempted to try but I have a
    > feeling that most of the "modern improvements" like upstart, video &
    > sound which work, network manager etc will all be missing. It's an
    > indication of how much the Ubuntu team have done IMO.

    I quite agree. Ubuntu has been superb from the off and is progressing
    nicely. As far as I can tell, canonical have taken Debian and given it
    the much needed kick up the arse it required. This is good news for
    both Debian and Ubuntu.

    I just tried installing Debian in a VM and it fired up, loaded and
    installed in a very slick manner. I probably chose some incompatible
    option when installing on my old laptop, previously.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  15. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:16:35
    > +0200 by typing:
    >

    >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>
    >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working
    >> again? Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB
    >> management?
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received.

    > alt.os.linux.debian
    >
    > You're off topic in here. Ubuntu is *based* on debian, but if you want
    > the full rundown, speak to debian users.

    I know what Ubuntu is. But it IS on topic here because I am asking the
    opinion of Ubuntu users who have tried Debian. I don't want to ask
    Debian users who might have dabbled with Ubuntu (yet).

    Sinner's response was interesting.

    I think I will repartition and give it a go. I wonder if I can mount my
    Ubuntu /home to debian and thus retain my desktop etc?.

    > As an aside, I believe it is possible to migrate to Debian just by
    > replacing your repo sources to Debian ones, although this is just
    > something I've come across in the forums.

    --
    Interesting poll results reported in today's New York Post: people on the
    street in midtown Manhattan were asked whether they approved of the US

  16. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I think I will repartition and give it a go. I wonder if I can mount
    > my Ubuntu /home to debian and thus retain my desktop etc?.

    I would have thought so. Yes.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  17. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:30:21 +0200, Hadron
    wrote:

    > I know what Ubuntu is. But it IS on topic here because I am asking the
    > opinion of Ubuntu users who have tried Debian. I don't want to ask
    > Debian users who might have dabbled with Ubuntu (yet).

    Oops! Nevertheless, I won't shut up yet. I *support* Ubuntu for
    friends in real life who can be persuaded to switch to it, though I
    usually prefer the newer software in Debian Testing or Unstable for my
    own desktop.

    > I wonder if I can mount my Ubuntu /home to debian and thus retain my
    > desktop etc?.

    Yes, but I'd suggest backing up your configuration files, just in
    case. I can't remember any problems with Debian and Ubuntu in my
    experience, but I got into a real mess a couple of years ago with
    Debian and Gentoo, so incompatibilities are possible.

    You should also be OK sharing /var and /tmp, if they're already
    separate partitions, and of course swap. You *can* share /boot, but
    it may get complicated and is probably more trouble than it's worth.

    My last installs of Debian and Ubuntu worked about as well as each
    other "out of the box": in Debian, but not Ubuntu, I had to run
    alsaconf to get sound working; in Ubuntu, but not Debian, I had
    printer trouble because the CUPS Web configuration interface demanded
    a root password; in both, I had to tweak the X screen resolution with
    dpkg-reconfigure.

    I hope I'll see a review of your Debian experiences somewhere, perhaps
    in AOLD. It should be much easier to install than a few years ago
    (thanks in part to ideas adopted from Ubuntu), but the installer still
    isn't exactly pretty.

    --
    PJR :-)

  18. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Peter J Ross writes:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:30:21 +0200, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I know what Ubuntu is. But it IS on topic here because I am asking the
    >> opinion of Ubuntu users who have tried Debian. I don't want to ask
    >> Debian users who might have dabbled with Ubuntu (yet).

    > Oops! Nevertheless, I won't shut up yet. I *support* Ubuntu for
    > friends in real life who can be persuaded to switch to it, though I
    > usually prefer the newer software in Debian Testing or Unstable for my
    > own desktop.

    Are you saying that I can run newer SW in Debian than I can in Ubuntu?

    >> I wonder if I can mount my Ubuntu /home to debian and thus retain my
    >> desktop etc?.

    > Yes, but I'd suggest backing up your configuration files, just in
    > case. I can't remember any problems with Debian and Ubuntu in my
    > experience, but I got into a real mess a couple of years ago with
    > Debian and Gentoo, so incompatibilities are possible.
    >
    > You should also be OK sharing /var and /tmp, if they're already
    > separate partitions, and of course swap. You *can* share /boot, but
    > it may get complicated and is probably more trouble than it's worth.
    >
    > My last installs of Debian and Ubuntu worked about as well as each
    > other "out of the box": in Debian, but not Ubuntu, I had to run
    > alsaconf to get sound working; in Ubuntu, but not Debian, I had
    > printer trouble because the CUPS Web configuration interface demanded
    > a root password; in both, I had to tweak the X screen resolution with
    > dpkg-reconfigure.
    >
    > I hope I'll see a review of your Debian experiences somewhere, perhaps
    > in AOLD. It should be much easier to install than a few years ago
    > (thanks in part to ideas adopted from Ubuntu), but the installer still
    > isn't exactly pretty.

    Thanks Peter, you have been very helpful. I kind of *want* to move to
    Debian if only to be more "hard core" :-;

    Ubuntu is for kids ....

  19. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron wrote:
    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >
    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.
    >
    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >
    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received.

    I have been using Sidux for some months now and think it is the best
    distro I have ever used..and I have used a lot..It does have an
    excellent script for setting up and upgrading the system including auto
    setup for vid cards...There is also a sctipt for installing non-free
    stuff which in my opinion is better than Auromatix...Same goes for
    compiz...It is well worth a d/load of the live cd to try out and
    a good read of the Sidux manual....I have installed it on 6 boxes
    without any problems and all the users are perfectly satisfied...

    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI
    High Peak UK
    Using Sidux Linux

  20. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Ted writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>
    >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received.
    >>

    > I have been using Sidux for some months now and think it is the best
    > distro I have ever used..and I have used a lot..It does have an
    > excellent script for setting up and upgrading the system including
    > auto setup for vid cards...There is also a sctipt for installing
    > non-free stuff which in my opinion is better than Auromatix...Same
    > goes for
    > compiz...It is well worth a d/load of the live cd to try out and
    > a good read of the Sidux manual....I have installed it on 6 boxes
    > without any problems and all the users are perfectly satisfied...
    >
    > Regards
    > Ted Wager G3TPI
    > High Peak UK
    > Using Sidux Linux

    Sounds interesting - I had never heard of it. But my main aim is to move
    fully away from any "small" distro and try and stay with a mainstream
    "holy" distro like Debian. As a few posters know, I'm not a fan of
    "distro hell" and I worry that things like Siduy are merely a flash in
    the pan and I ended up getting stung by some poor release or it being
    simply abandoned.

    --
    Hire the morally handicapped.

+ Reply to Thread