Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu ; On 10 Sep 2007 11:36:25 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote: >> Every so often you come across a U. package that seems frozen in >> time and which really should be upgraded - ruby-gnome2 being one >> irritating example. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 65 of 65

  1. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 10 Sep 2007 11:36:25 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:

    >> Every so often you come across a U. package that seems frozen in
    >> time and which really should be upgraded - ruby-gnome2 being one
    >> irritating example.

    > Debian Stable and Testing have 0.15.0.
    >
    > Debian Unstable has 0.16.0, which is the current release. The
    > fact that this hasn't yet migrated to Testing suggests that there
    > may be a problem with it.

    Well reading the bug reports against 0.15.0, all reported serious
    bugs are claimed to be fixed in various builds of 0.16.0. Unless I'm
    misreading the situation, there have been working versions better
    than 0.15.0 since at least May this year. So we have to go to
    another repository to install this package, outside the Ubuntu
    system. I have done this and it works fine. I'm sure this isn't the
    only package where Ubuntu are sitting on their hands waiting for God
    knows what. It's enough to send one back to Windows and one-click
    installers! I think this says something about the priorities of the
    developers.

    --
    Chris Game

    "...it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with
    a big enough hammer." -- Sun System & Network Admin manual

  2. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:16:56 +0100, Chris Game
    wrote:

    > On 10 Sep 2007 11:36:25 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >>> Every so often you come across a U. package that seems frozen in
    >>> time and which really should be upgraded - ruby-gnome2 being one
    >>> irritating example.

    >> Debian Stable and Testing have 0.15.0.
    >>
    >> Debian Unstable has 0.16.0, which is the current release. The
    >> fact that this hasn't yet migrated to Testing suggests that there
    >> may be a problem with it.

    > Well reading the bug reports against 0.15.0, all reported serious
    > bugs are claimed to be fixed in various builds of 0.16.0. Unless I'm
    > misreading the situation, there have been working versions better
    > than 0.15.0 since at least May this year.

    The reason the package isn't in Debian Testing is that there's a
    confirmed "grave functionality" bug outstanding against the source
    package:

    In this case it looks as if the bug was fixed but the status not
    changed from "Outstanding" to "Resolved". That might be why the
    package isn't in Ubuntu 7.04 or Debian Testing.

    > So we have to go to
    > another repository to install this package, outside the Ubuntu
    > system. I have done this and it works fine.

    Good.

    > I'm sure this isn't the
    > only package where Ubuntu are sitting on their hands waiting for God
    > knows what. It's enough to send one back to Windows and one-click
    > installers! I think this says something about the priorities of the
    > developers.

    ISTM that you're blaming volunteers for spending some of their time
    doing something other than volunteering. Sometimes people have more
    important things to do than to satisfy you and me.

    The beauty of open-source software is that even now somebody who's
    read these posts of ours might be working on a patch to fix the
    problem.

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:16:56 +0100, Chris Game
    > wrote:

    >>> Debian Stable and Testing have 0.15.0.
    >>>
    >>> Debian Unstable has 0.16.0, which is the current release. The
    >>> fact that this hasn't yet migrated to Testing suggests that there
    >>> may be a problem with it.

    >> Well reading the bug reports against 0.15.0, all reported serious
    >> bugs are claimed to be fixed in various builds of 0.16.0. Unless I'm
    >> misreading the situation, there have been working versions better
    >> than 0.15.0 since at least May this year.

    > The reason the package isn't in Debian Testing is that there's a
    > confirmed "grave functionality" bug outstanding against the source
    > package:
    >

    > In this case it looks as if the bug was fixed but the status not
    > changed from "Outstanding" to "Resolved". That might be why the
    > package isn't in Ubuntu 7.04 or Debian Testing.
    >
    >> So we have to go to
    >> another repository to install this package, outside the Ubuntu
    >> system. I have done this and it works fine.

    > Good.
    >
    >> I'm sure this isn't the
    >> only package where Ubuntu are sitting on their hands waiting for God
    >> knows what. It's enough to send one back to Windows and one-click
    >> installers! I think this says something about the priorities of the
    >> developers.

    > ISTM that you're blaming volunteers for spending some of their time
    > doing something other than volunteering. Sometimes people have more
    > important things to do than to satisfy you and me.
    >
    > The beauty of open-source software is that even now somebody who's
    > read these posts of ours might be working on a patch to fix the
    > problem.

    If anyone like that reads this stuff, they'll be aware of Chris Game and are
    probably hoping he'll go back to Windoze.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  4. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 10 Sep 2007 19:21:54 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > The reason the package isn't in Debian Testing is that there's a
    > confirmed "grave functionality" bug outstanding against the source
    > package:
    >

    > In this case it looks as if the bug was fixed but the status not
    > changed from "Outstanding" to "Resolved". That might be why the
    > package isn't in Ubuntu 7.04 or Debian Testing.

    Interesting. I was looking at the similar page:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgre...;dist=unstable
    which, in spite of the similar address, is a different page without
    the bug you mentioned. Which as you say has been marked 'Done' but
    not removed as an active bug from the source package info page
    (since the beginning of July).
    I emailed the maintainer so we'll see.

    But the issue remains, how good is the package maintenance system
    when this kind of thing can happen?

    Anyway we're straying into Debian territory from Ubuntu homelands!
    And this is way further than the average user like me wants to
    stray.

    --
    Chris Game

    'Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.'

  5. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 10 Sep 2007 19:21:54 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > The beauty of open-source software is that even now somebody who's
    > read these posts of ours might be working on a patch to fix the
    > problem.

    The downside is that nobody gets fired for siting on their hands for
    two months!

    --
    Chris Game

    "An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke."
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4