Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu ; Hadron writes: > "Mountain Mike^^" writes: > >> "Hadron" wrote in message >> news:fsd4x0aiia.fsf@homelinux.net... >>> >>> I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs >>> so I assumed it would update the existing grub. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

  1. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron writes:

    > "Mountain Mike^^" writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    >>> so I assumed it would update the existing grub.
    >>>
    >>> I'll try again tomorrow.
    >>>

    >> I've botched numerous nulti-boots, too. One thing I found is that XP is very
    >> persistent in getting it's files moved. Partition Magic (older version)
    >> won't cut it and left me with no XP at all.

    > Windows didnt even come into it. It was "just a bootable partition"
    > afaik. I had a spare ext3 partition all ready so I didnt even
    > repartition.
    >
    >> However, I've had better luck using Parted Magaic (free GUI partitioning
    >> tool) to set up the HD before hand. I usually install lilo or grub to a
    >> floppy just in case. YOu can always reinstall the boot loader to the MBR
    >> later.

    > I finally managed using the link I gave earlier.
    >

    >> On another note, I like this idea in a distro. Ubuntu, while is fine and is
    >> quite stable, has too much bloat. I'm trying other slimmer versions now.
    >> Mint didn't cut it. Neither did Zenwalk, Absolute ( a Slack derivative), nor
    >> most others due to the video conflcits I get with my Radeon 9200 SE ATI
    >> card. Ubuntu is the only one that works with it, and my USB wifi dongle out
    >> of the box.
    >>
    >> Still testing......I'm thinking that maybe a newer kernel will help
    >> though.....

    Just for the "google thread" in case someone else other than google
    archives this group (how the **** is COLA archived but not this useful
    group is beyond me), I have a feeling it *might* be down to the "make
    this partition bootable option.

    --
    The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.
    -- John Kenneth Galbraith

  2. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:54:49 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    >> firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo.

    > Isn't Epiphany just Firefox re-badged?

    What's epiphany? Or did you mean IceWeasel? just another "words" game
    possibly, but confusing nonetheless.

    --
    The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.
    -- John Kenneth Galbraith

  3. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 00:56:27 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Trevor Best writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:54:49 +0200
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to
    >>> use firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo.

    >> Isn't Epiphany just Firefox re-badged?

    > What's epiphany? Or did you mean IceWeasel? just another "words" game
    > possibly, but confusing nonetheless.

    Epihany is Gnome's thinly elegant answer to Konquerer, a web and file
    system browser that is standards based. It is nothing to do with
    firefox. nor does it support things like smb://, photo:// like kde.

    but it is cool, 'cos it's gnome....

    --
    Bob Harvey OETKB

  4. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:54:49 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    >> firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo.

    > Isn't Epiphany just Firefox re-badged?

    No. It's a different program that uses the same rendering engine
    (Gecko).

    Florian

  5. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:37:14 GMT, vince wrote:

    [re:sidux]
    > All in all, a great distro.

    Sounds more or less like Knoppix though?

    --
    Chris Game

    Gotta run, the cat's caught in the printer.

  6. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Chris Game wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:37:14 GMT, vince wrote:
    >
    > [re:sidux]
    >> All in all, a great distro.

    > Sounds more or less like Knoppix though?

    Err, not unless Knoppix is a good deal more up to date / bleeding edge than
    the list of software in 5.2 indicates!

    Are you perhaps thinking of Kanotix? If so, since the core of the Sidux
    team seems to have come from Kanotix, the similarities would be more
    noticeable!

    --
    David Aldred

  7. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:30:56 +0100, Chris Game
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:37:14 GMT, vince wrote:
    >
    >[re:sidux]
    >> All in all, a great distro.

    >Sounds more or less like Knoppix though?

    Knoppix is designed to be a LiveCD and is not recommended for
    installing to the hard drive.

    Sidux runs from a LiveCD for testing/evaluation, but is designed to be
    installed to the hard drive and kept up to date using apt-get from the
    Debian Sid/unstable repositories.

    As far as I know, Sidux is unique in the kingdom of Linux.

  8. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 03 Sep 2007 13:03:20 GMT,
    Doug Jamal wrote:
    > ... I didn't have a problem with Ice Weasel, but I didn't devote
    > enough time to it to find any annoyances, if any exists.

    I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding is Ice Weasel is just a
    rebranding of Firefox. The software is the same, just a patch to
    replace artwork and a few strings. Iirc, it is even updated very
    quickly after updates are issued for Firefox.

    The issue iirc was Debian requires software licensing to be GPL
    compatible, and the software for Firefox is licensed appropriately,
    but the artwork isn't.

    I thought it was a PITA to replace Ice Weasel with Firefox, but it can
    be done.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.
    - Xander Harris (BtVS)

  9. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:51:53 GMT, vince wrote:

    > Knoppix is designed to be a LiveCD and is not recommended for
    > installing to the hard drive.

    There's a script for it which works ok, Debain type install to the
    HD, KDE setup.

    --
    Chris Game

    If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming
    must be the process of putting them in. -Dykstra

  10. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:56:15 +0100, Chris Game
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:51:53 GMT, vince wrote:
    >
    >> Knoppix is designed to be a LiveCD and is not recommended for
    >> installing to the hard drive.

    >There's a script for it which works ok, Debain type install to the
    >HD, KDE setup.

    And now . . . the question has perpetually stumped me.
    What repositories are you going to use to keep a hard drive install of
    Knoppix up to date and unbroken (nobody ever said I was the sharpest
    tool in the shed)?

  11. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:09:59 GMT,
    vince wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:56:15 +0100, Chris Game
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:51:53 GMT, vince wrote:
    > >
    > >> Knoppix is designed to be a LiveCD and is not recommended for
    > >> installing to the hard drive.

    > >There's a script for it which works ok, Debain type install to the
    > >HD, KDE setup.

    > And now . . . the question has perpetually stumped me.
    > What repositories are you going to use to keep a hard drive install of
    > Knoppix up to date and unbroken (nobody ever said I was the sharpest
    > tool in the shed)?

    Iirc, it already has that set up. They might not be the best, but
    they should work. If not, I think it's based on Debian Testing (might
    be Debian Unstable), set appropriate repositories for that.

    I hadn't gotten the hang of aptitude {update,upgrade} but aptitude
    install worked when I used Knoppix.

    JMTC,

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

  12. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:09:59 GMT, vince wrote:

    > And now . . . the question has perpetually stumped me. What
    > repositories are you going to use to keep a hard drive install of
    > Knoppix up to date and unbroken (nobody ever said I was the
    > sharpest tool in the shed)?

    Last time I ran it Knoppix set up links to their own repositories.
    Why do you think that's a problem?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Chance favors only the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur

  13. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:50:37 +0100, Chris Game
    wrote:

    >Last time I ran it Knoppix set up links to their own repositories.
    >Why do you think that's a problem?

    Not a problem - didn't know they'd done that. Thanks for the
    education.

  14. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:44:54 +0200, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross writes:

    >>> Oops! Nevertheless, I won't shut up yet. I *support* Ubuntu for
    >>> friends in real life who can be persuaded to switch to it, though I
    >>> usually prefer the newer software in Debian Testing or Unstable for my
    >>> own desktop.

    >> Are you saying that I can run newer SW in Debian than I can in Ubuntu?

    > Yes, if you run Testing/Lenny or Unstable/Sid. Both of those are now
    > ahead of Ubuntu 7.04. Feisty is based on Debian Unstable as it was in
    > April or earlier.
    >
    > Unstable/Sid often gets a package within hours (sometimes minutes) of
    > the new source code being released. Testing/Lenny will get it ten days
    > later if no big show-stopper bugs haven't been noticed.
    >
    > Using Testing is mostly quite safe, unless you're running any public
    > servers, in which case you should stick to Stable.
    >
    > I rebooted my Debian Etch/Stable web/ssh server today, as a result of
    > a kernel security update, which was a shame, because the uptime on
    > that box was 206 days. IOW, yes, Debian Stable *is* stable.
    >
    > <...>
    >
    >> Thanks Peter, you have been very helpful. I kind of *want* to move to
    >> Debian if only to be more "hard core" :-;

    > I want to move to OpenBSD or Solaris for similar reasons. :-)
    >
    >> Ubuntu is for kids ....

    > Ubuntu is good for non-geeky grownups too, and it isn't going to go
    > away any time soon, so I hope you won't start a fashion for migrating
    > from Ubuntu to Debian. There's no reason at all for happy Ubuntu users
    > to change. New home users who have previously used only Windows should
    > use Ubuntu, not Debian, IMO.

    I used Ubuntu, then when I had a conflict with the new
    version, moved to Debian (on which Ubuntu is based). Debian
    is fine. What's the problem with Debian?

  15. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Ted wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>
    >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received.
    >>

    > I have been using Sidux for some months now and think it is the best
    > distro I have ever used..and I have used a lot..It does have an
    > excellent script for setting up and upgrading the system including auto
    > setup for vid cards...There is also a sctipt for installing non-free
    > stuff which in my opinion is better than Auromatix...Same goes for
    > compiz...It is well worth a d/load of the live cd to try out and
    > a good read of the Sidux manual....I have installed it on 6 boxes
    > without any problems and all the users are perfectly satisfied...
    >
    > Regards
    > Ted Wager G3TPI
    > High Peak UK
    > Using Sidux Linux

    It says in one place there is no live CD.

  16. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:31:06 GMT, Pete
    wrote:

    > What's the problem with Debian?

    None, IMO. I've been using Debian (mostly Testing) for about five
    years, after a couple of false starts in 2000 and 2001 - the days when
    installing Debian was genuinely quite difficult even for intelligent
    newbies.

    The fact is that I read AOLU because I approve very strongly of the
    Ubuntu concept, not because I use Ubuntu often myself. I find Debian
    infallible both for desktop and for server.

    --
    PJR :-)

  17. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Pete wrote:

    > It says in one place there is no live CD.

    There is a live CD for Sidux: I agree it's not as clear as it might be on
    the Sidux web pages.

    --
    David Aldred

  18. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 08 Sep 2007 22:15:55 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > The fact is that I read AOLU because I approve very strongly of
    > the Ubuntu concept, not because I use Ubuntu often myself. I find
    > Debian infallible both for desktop and for server.

    Is the package management better? Every so often you come across a
    U. package that seems frozen in time and which really should be
    upgraded - ruby-gnome2 being one irritating example.

    --
    Chris Game

    "It's not a good idea to look too hard at the words, they
    resent it." -- T. Pratchet, "Mort".

  19. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    David Aldred wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> It says in one place there is no live CD.

    > There is a live CD for Sidux: I agree it's not as clear as it might be on
    > the Sidux web pages.

    On the normal d/load from Distrowatch It does say "Live CD"

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  20. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:28:03 +0100, Chris Game
    wrote:

    > On 08 Sep 2007 22:15:55 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> The fact is that I read AOLU because I approve very strongly of
    >> the Ubuntu concept, not because I use Ubuntu often myself. I find
    >> Debian infallible both for desktop and for server.

    > Is the package management better?

    The management should be almost the same, though the versions of
    packages available will be different.

    > Every so often you come across a
    > U. package that seems frozen in time and which really should be
    > upgraded - ruby-gnome2 being one irritating example.

    Debian Stable and Testing have 0.15.0.

    Debian Unstable has 0.16.0, which is the current release. The fact
    that this hasn't yet migrated to Testing suggests that there may be a
    problem with it.

    --
    PJR :-)