Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu to Debian - Ubuntu ; Hadron wrote: > Sounds interesting - I had never heard of it. But my main aim is to move > fully away from any "small" distro and try and stay with a mainstream > "holy" distro like Debian. Holy? And ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

  1. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron wrote:
    > Sounds interesting - I had never heard of it. But my main aim is to move
    > fully away from any "small" distro and try and stay with a mainstream
    > "holy" distro like Debian.

    Holy?
    And what? You think Ubuntu is not mainstream?

    > and I worry that things like Siduy are merely a flash

    Sidux!
    http://sidux.com/

    I've tried many many distros, including Debian (running Etch now). If
    things can work in Ubuntu, you can get them to work in Debian. Maybe
    just not as automagically.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  2. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:44:54 +0200, Hadron
    wrote:

    > Peter J Ross writes:
    >
    >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:30:21 +0200, Hadron
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know what Ubuntu is. But it IS on topic here because I am asking the
    >>> opinion of Ubuntu users who have tried Debian. I don't want to ask
    >>> Debian users who might have dabbled with Ubuntu (yet).

    >> Oops! Nevertheless, I won't shut up yet. I *support* Ubuntu for
    >> friends in real life who can be persuaded to switch to it, though I
    >> usually prefer the newer software in Debian Testing or Unstable for my
    >> own desktop.

    > Are you saying that I can run newer SW in Debian than I can in Ubuntu?

    Yes, if you run Testing/Lenny or Unstable/Sid. Both of those are now
    ahead of Ubuntu 7.04. Feisty is based on Debian Unstable as it was in
    April or earlier.

    Unstable/Sid often gets a package within hours (sometimes minutes) of
    the new source code being released. Testing/Lenny will get it ten days
    later if no big show-stopper bugs haven't been noticed.

    Using Testing is mostly quite safe, unless you're running any public
    servers, in which case you should stick to Stable.

    I rebooted my Debian Etch/Stable web/ssh server today, as a result of
    a kernel security update, which was a shame, because the uptime on
    that box was 206 days. IOW, yes, Debian Stable *is* stable.

    <...>

    > Thanks Peter, you have been very helpful. I kind of *want* to move to
    > Debian if only to be more "hard core" :-;

    I want to move to OpenBSD or Solaris for similar reasons. :-)

    > Ubuntu is for kids ....

    Ubuntu is good for non-geeky grownups too, and it isn't going to go
    away any time soon, so I hope you won't start a fashion for migrating
    from Ubuntu to Debian. There's no reason at all for happy Ubuntu users
    to change. New home users who have previously used only Windows should
    use Ubuntu, not Debian, IMO.

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    johnny bobby bee writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Sounds interesting - I had never heard of it. But my main aim is to move
    >> fully away from any "small" distro and try and stay with a mainstream
    >> "holy" distro like Debian.

    > Holy?
    > And what? You think Ubuntu is not mainstream?
    >
    >> and I worry that things like Siduy are merely a flash

    > Sidux!
    > http://sidux.com/
    >
    > I've tried many many distros, including Debian (running Etch now). If
    > things can work in Ubuntu, you can get them to work in Debian. Maybe
    > just not as automagically.

    Well, bad news.

    I made a netinst cd, booted and installed. I pointed it to a free
    partition on an external USB assuming it would honour the existing grub
    installation which exists on the mbr of my primary hard drive.

    Anyway installation went peachy - fast, professional, no obvious errors.

    When it installed the new OS in my exiting grub it saw my Ubuntu 7.04
    and my Windows XP.

    Great, thinks I.

    Reboot.

    Bang. "Grub error 21".

    This thread fixed it after a LOT of searching courtesy of my live ubuntu
    cd.

    I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    so I assumed it would update the existing grub.

    I'll try again tomorrow.

    --
    ***
    *******

  4. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    > so I assumed it would update the existing grub.
    >
    > I'll try again tomorrow.

    I've botched numerous nulti-boots, too. One thing I found is that XP is very
    persistent in getting it's files moved. Partition Magic (older version)
    won't cut it and left me with no XP at all.

    However, I've had better luck using Parted Magaic (free GUI partitioning
    tool) to set up the HD before hand. I usually install lilo or grub to a
    floppy just in case. YOu can always reinstall the boot loader to the MBR
    later.

    On another note, I like this idea in a distro. Ubuntu, while is fine and is
    quite stable, has too much bloat. I'm trying other slimmer versions now.
    Mint didn't cut it. Neither did Zenwalk, Absolute ( a Slack derivative), nor
    most others due to the video conflcits I get with my Radeon 9200 SE ATI
    card. Ubuntu is the only one that works with it, and my USB wifi dongle out
    of the box.

    Still testing......I'm thinking that maybe a newer kernel will help
    though.....

  5. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    "Mountain Mike^^" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    >> so I assumed it would update the existing grub.
    >>
    >> I'll try again tomorrow.
    >>

    > I've botched numerous nulti-boots, too. One thing I found is that XP is very
    > persistent in getting it's files moved. Partition Magic (older version)
    > won't cut it and left me with no XP at all.

    Windows didnt even come into it. It was "just a bootable partition"
    afaik. I had a spare ext3 partition all ready so I didnt even
    repartition.

    > However, I've had better luck using Parted Magaic (free GUI partitioning
    > tool) to set up the HD before hand. I usually install lilo or grub to a
    > floppy just in case. YOu can always reinstall the boot loader to the MBR
    > later.

    I finally managed using the link I gave earlier.

    --
    No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish.

  6. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 2007-09-02, Mountain Mike^^ intrigued me by typing:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    >> so I assumed it would update the existing grub.
    >>
    >> I'll try again tomorrow.
    >>

    > I've botched numerous nulti-boots, too. One thing I found is that XP is very
    > persistent in getting it's files moved. Partition Magic (older version)
    > won't cut it and left me with no XP at all.
    >
    > However, I've had better luck using Parted Magaic (free GUI partitioning
    > tool) to set up the HD before hand. I usually install lilo or grub to a
    > floppy just in case. YOu can always reinstall the boot loader to the MBR
    > later.
    >
    > On another note, I like this idea in a distro. Ubuntu, while is fine and is
    > quite stable, has too much bloat. I'm trying other slimmer versions now.
    > Mint didn't cut it. Neither did Zenwalk, Absolute ( a Slack derivative), nor
    > most others due to the video conflcits I get with my Radeon 9200 SE ATI
    > card. Ubuntu is the only one that works with it, and my USB wifi dongle out
    > of the box.
    >
    > Still testing......I'm thinking that maybe a newer kernel will help
    > though.....

    What about Xubuntu (Ubuntu without the bloat)?

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  7. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ted writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>>
    >>> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >>> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >>> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >>> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>>
    >>> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >>> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>>
    >>> Any comments gratefully received.
    >>>

    >> I have been using Sidux for some months now and think it is the best
    >> distro I have ever used..and I have used a lot..It does have an
    >> excellent script for setting up and upgrading the system including
    >> auto setup for vid cards...There is also a sctipt for installing
    >> non-free stuff which in my opinion is better than Auromatix...Same
    >> goes for
    >> compiz...It is well worth a d/load of the live cd to try out and
    >> a good read of the Sidux manual....I have installed it on 6 boxes
    >> without any problems and all the users are perfectly satisfied...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Ted Wager G3TPI
    >> High Peak UK
    >> Using Sidux Linux

    > Sounds interesting - I had never heard of it. But my main aim is to move
    > fully away from any "small" distro and try and stay with a mainstream
    > "holy" distro like Debian. As a few posters know, I'm not a fan of
    > "distro hell" and I worry that things like Siduy are merely a flash in
    > the pan and I ended up getting stung by some poor release or it being
    > simply abandoned.

    Sidux is not a "small" distro..It is pure Debian Sid but with enhanced
    tools for ease of install and maintenance...Why not try the live cd and
    connect up to the sidux irc and see the level of commitment and
    expertise that exists there..Also the people on the irc seem quite
    friendly and helpful not at all like some of the other debian based irc's..

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  8. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Ted wrote:
    > Sidux is not a "small" distro..It is pure Debian Sid

    What's Sidux going to be called once Sid is stable?

    Wheezy?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > What's Sidux going to be called once Sid is stable?
    >
    > Wheezy?

    Never mind -- I was on crack when I asked. I'm ok now.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  10. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Doug Jamal wrote:
    > On 2007-09-02, Mountain Mike^^ intrigued me by typing:
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>> I have no idea what went wrong. It actually showed me the existing OSs
    >>> so I assumed it would update the existing grub.
    >>>
    >>> I'll try again tomorrow.
    >>>

    >> I've botched numerous nulti-boots, too. One thing I found is that XP is very
    >> persistent in getting it's files moved. Partition Magic (older version)
    >> won't cut it and left me with no XP at all.
    >>
    >> However, I've had better luck using Parted Magaic (free GUI partitioning
    >> tool) to set up the HD before hand. I usually install lilo or grub to a
    >> floppy just in case. YOu can always reinstall the boot loader to the MBR
    >> later.
    >>
    >> On another note, I like this idea in a distro. Ubuntu, while is fine and is
    >> quite stable, has too much bloat. I'm trying other slimmer versions now.
    >> Mint didn't cut it. Neither did Zenwalk, Absolute ( a Slack derivative), nor
    >> most others due to the video conflcits I get with my Radeon 9200 SE ATI
    >> card. Ubuntu is the only one that works with it, and my USB wifi dongle out
    >> of the box.
    >>
    >> Still testing......I'm thinking that maybe a newer kernel will help
    >> though.....
    >>

    > What about Xubuntu (Ubuntu without the bloat)?

    I like xubuntu ...
    and i run it on an asus a7v8x, with an amd 2100
    runs quick like hell ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  11. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron writes:

    > Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >
    > I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    > Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    > like they do in Ubuntu.
    >
    > e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    > Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >
    > I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    > possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received.

    OK. I tried. And I finally got sounds & video working.

    I coudln't find a repository which "just worked" for the video and ended
    up manually compiling and dpkg'ing - something I thought was
    history. I dont like doing this stuff. It frightens me. I have had,
    countless times before, broken systems because of a
    configure/make/install hiccup for video drivers in Linux. It annoys me
    that so many "how tos" hard code the shagging kernel name inseat of
    using uname as part of the commands. So easy to miss and screw up.

    e.g bad
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...on_Debian_Etch

    Why not use `uname -r` all the time?

    First thoughts: it might be too much of a zealots OS.

    It was not a nice experience compared to Ubuntu Feisty.

    It does seem snappier though.

    Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo. Welcome
    to Ice Weasel. Yes, you can override the defaults with how tos out
    there.

    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...bian-etch.html

    (some great repository advice in the howto above - trying to get that
    info out google proved to be frustrating)

    Insurmountable? Certainly not. But my Ubuntu "works" and I don't think I
    have the time or the energy to go with Etch just yet.

  12. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    > Insurmountable? Certainly not. But my Ubuntu "works" and I don't think I
    > have the time or the energy to go with Etch just yet.

    you know etch has its place but i honestly don't see much diff between
    debian and ubuntu, yea some things out of the box are a little diff but
    nothing functionally diff. as far as the OS. a few diff programs in the
    repo but big deal, add a 3rd party repo or use what they have in their
    repo it all works. personally i'll stick with ubuntu on my main computers
    i've installed etch on 1 computer that the ubuntu installer (yes even the
    text installer) faulted out on, but etch installed nicely with no bawking.
    so that is the only computer i have running pure debian. otherwise its
    ubuntu with some DE variant (this machine has 6 LOL)

    --
    Chris

  13. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 2007-09-03, Hadron intrigued me by typing:
    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>
    >> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>
    >> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received.

    > OK. I tried. And I finally got sounds & video working.
    >
    > I coudln't find a repository which "just worked" for the video and ended
    > up manually compiling and dpkg'ing - something I thought was
    > history. I dont like doing this stuff. It frightens me. I have had,
    > countless times before, broken systems because of a
    > configure/make/install hiccup for video drivers in Linux. It annoys me
    > that so many "how tos" hard code the shagging kernel name inseat of
    > using uname as part of the commands. So easy to miss and screw up.
    >
    > e.g bad
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...on_Debian_Etch
    >
    > Why not use `uname -r` all the time?
    >
    > First thoughts: it might be too much of a zealots OS.
    >
    > It was not a nice experience compared to Ubuntu Feisty.
    >
    > It does seem snappier though.
    >
    > Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    > firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo. Welcome
    > to Ice Weasel. Yes, you can override the defaults with how tos out
    > there.
    >
    > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...bian-etch.html
    >
    > (some great repository advice in the howto above - trying to get that
    > info out google proved to be frustrating)
    >
    > Insurmountable? Certainly not. But my Ubuntu "works" and I don't think I
    > have the time or the energy to go with Etch just yet.

    Same here, Hadron. I installed Debian Etch a few weeks back, I guess, and
    the install went okay and the overall feel was good, however, it was like a
    bland version of Ubuntu. Don't get me wrong, I know Ubuntu is a derivative
    of Debian and I'm not knocking Debian at all. It is just a matter of
    personal preference. I didn't have a problem with Ice Weasel, but I didn't
    devote enough time to it to find any annoyances, if any exists. The last
    distro I experimented with was Sabayon 3.x. It's detection of my hardware,
    especially my audio, was almost flawless. My gripe is that it was too
    bloated, too preconfigured and I'm not a fan of the KDE interface. But
    that's just me. Anyway, Ubuntu remains my distro of choice for now.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  14. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Doug Jamal writes:

    > On 2007-09-03, Hadron intrigued me by typing:
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>> Did anyone here ever try to move from Ubuntu to Debian?
    >>>
    >>> I am kind of tempted to give it a go now that I feel comfortable with
    >>> Ubuntu. The big issue I have though is whether things will "just work"
    >>> like they do in Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> e.g Will I spend hours trying to get my NVidia video card working again?
    >>> Will my sound break like it was in 6.10? What about UUID/USB management?
    >>>
    >>> I understand that Debian has a "stability" reputation - but is it
    >>> possible to point it at more "modern" repositories too?
    >>>
    >>> Any comments gratefully received.

    >> OK. I tried. And I finally got sounds & video working.
    >>
    >> I coudln't find a repository which "just worked" for the video and ended
    >> up manually compiling and dpkg'ing - something I thought was
    >> history. I dont like doing this stuff. It frightens me. I have had,
    >> countless times before, broken systems because of a
    >> configure/make/install hiccup for video drivers in Linux. It annoys me
    >> that so many "how tos" hard code the shagging kernel name inseat of
    >> using uname as part of the commands. So easy to miss and screw up.
    >>
    >> e.g bad
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...on_Debian_Etch
    >>
    >> Why not use `uname -r` all the time?
    >>
    >> First thoughts: it might be too much of a zealots OS.
    >>
    >> It was not a nice experience compared to Ubuntu Feisty.
    >>
    >> It does seem snappier though.
    >>
    >> Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    >> firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo. Welcome
    >> to Ice Weasel. Yes, you can override the defaults with how tos out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...bian-etch.html
    >>
    >> (some great repository advice in the howto above - trying to get that
    >> info out google proved to be frustrating)
    >>
    >> Insurmountable? Certainly not. But my Ubuntu "works" and I don't think I
    >> have the time or the energy to go with Etch just yet.
    >>

    > Same here, Hadron. I installed Debian Etch a few weeks back, I guess, and
    > the install went okay and the overall feel was good, however, it was like a
    > bland version of Ubuntu. Don't get me wrong, I know Ubuntu is a derivative
    > of Debian and I'm not knocking Debian at all. It is just a matter of
    > personal preference. I didn't have a problem with Ice Weasel, but I didn't
    > devote enough time to it to find any annoyances, if any exists. The last
    > distro I experimented with was Sabayon 3.x. It's detection of my hardware,
    > especially my audio, was almost flawless. My gripe is that it was too
    > bloated, too preconfigured and I'm not a fan of the KDE interface. But
    > that's just me. Anyway, Ubuntu remains my distro of choice for now.

    I just fiddled again and linked all my main work stuff (notably emacs
    config and libraries where I pretty much live for
    programming/debugging/email/news/irc/contact management).

    I installed the nvidia drivers direct from the nvidia as opposed to
    listening to blowhards in the irc channels.

    Works very well. Even got my dual screen working. Had to grep around for
    some fonts but that worked too. I use a .Xresources file, so cross
    linked that and it ... worked.

    The big difference is that it (Debian Etch) is MUCH faster on the
    desktop but I am not sure if that is because it is a clean install or
    what. Interestingly the debian install stuck in the 686 kernel whereas
    the Ubuntu install insisted on the 386 (I think) one.

    The niggling things are simply "work one must do". e,g not the same
    stuff you are used to in the repositories. The way sudo config is
    different is a pain in the arse too. The lack of firefox is ludicrous
    IMO - more effort wasted in maintaining "ice weasel" - more confusion
    for the user.

    I'm tempted though ...

    (Still no working printer though).

    --
    You are never given a wish without also being given the
    power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however.

  15. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    Hadron writes:

    > I just fiddled again and linked all my main work stuff (notably emacs
    > config and libraries where I pretty much live for
    > programming/debugging/email/news/irc/contact management).
    >
    > I installed the nvidia drivers direct from the nvidia as opposed to
    > listening to blowhards in the irc channels.
    >
    > Works very well. Even got my dual screen working. Had to grep around for
    > some fonts but that worked too. I use a .Xresources file, so cross
    > linked that and it ... worked.
    >
    > The big difference is that it (Debian Etch) is MUCH faster on the
    > desktop but I am not sure if that is because it is a clean install or
    > what. Interestingly the debian install stuck in the 686 kernel whereas
    > the Ubuntu install insisted on the 386 (I think) one.
    >
    > The niggling things are simply "work one must do". e,g not the same
    > stuff you are used to in the repositories. The way sudo config is
    > different is a pain in the arse too. The lack of firefox is ludicrous
    > IMO - more effort wasted in maintaining "ice weasel" - more confusion
    > for the user.
    >
    > I'm tempted though ...
    >
    > (Still no working printer though).

    Heh. First post from a fully configured leafnode/gnus from debian.

    The force beckons ....

    --
    The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.
    -- John Kenneth Galbraith

  16. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 2007-09-03, Hadron intrigued me by typing:
    > Hadron writes:
    >

    >> I just fiddled again and linked all my main work stuff (notably emacs
    >> config and libraries where I pretty much live for
    >> programming/debugging/email/news/irc/contact management).
    >>
    >> I installed the nvidia drivers direct from the nvidia as opposed to
    >> listening to blowhards in the irc channels.
    >>
    >> Works very well. Even got my dual screen working. Had to grep around for
    >> some fonts but that worked too. I use a .Xresources file, so cross
    >> linked that and it ... worked.
    >>
    >> The big difference is that it (Debian Etch) is MUCH faster on the
    >> desktop but I am not sure if that is because it is a clean install or
    >> what. Interestingly the debian install stuck in the 686 kernel whereas
    >> the Ubuntu install insisted on the 386 (I think) one.
    >>
    >> The niggling things are simply "work one must do". e,g not the same
    >> stuff you are used to in the repositories. The way sudo config is
    >> different is a pain in the arse too. The lack of firefox is ludicrous
    >> IMO - more effort wasted in maintaining "ice weasel" - more confusion
    >> for the user.
    >>
    >> I'm tempted though ...
    >>
    >> (Still no working printer though).

    > Heh. First post from a fully configured leafnode/gnus from debian.
    >
    > The force beckons ....

    Congratulations, Sir. (smile)
    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  17. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On 02 Sep 2007 13:16:44 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > And there are Debian-specific forums at sites like
    > linux-questions.org.

    Try http://forums.debian.net/ which is more useful than the Ubuntu
    forums - better signal to noise!

    --
    Chris Game

    Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

  18. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:54:49 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > Annoying restrictions though if you're not a free SW martyr. Want to use
    > firefox? Tough. Its "non free" because of its trademarked logo.

    Isn't Epiphany just Firefox re-badged?

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  19. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:44:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Ubuntu is for kids ....

    Ouch! But it has all the hard stuff too - currently wrestling with
    Tk widgets...

    --
    Chris Game

    Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

  20. Re: Ubuntu to Debian

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:12:29 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:

    > I like xubuntu ... and i run it on an asus a7v8x, with an amd 2100
    > runs quick like hell ...

    ....as long as you don't set the Window Manager Tweaks => Compositor
    panel => Enable Display Compositing box checked! Although that
    cleaned up some display artifacts it slowed rendering/ display
    updates to a crawl.

    --
    Chris Game

    "Everything that can be said can be said clearly."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein