Seamonkey and Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Seamonkey and Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Anyone using Seamonkey? How do you install extensions and themes?...

  1. Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    Anyone using Seamonkey?

    How do you install extensions and themes?

  2. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:24:20 +0000, CPDR wrote:

    > Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >
    > How do you install extensions and themes?

    You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?

    Sheesh.

  3. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:24:20 +0000, CPDR wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>
    >> How do you install extensions and themes?

    > You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?
    >
    > Sheesh.

    Not so fast ... when you read the readme from the seamonkey download, it
    says something like: run it with root first ... but don't with sudo
    (profile screw up).

    I used seamonkey under winxp. seamonkey installation under *ubuntu is a
    bit more complex, as I saw it. I thought I saw something at debian.org,
    which has iceape as fork of. Somewhere on internet there is a sort of
    manual for ubuntu seamonkey (=iceape) installation. That is why I use
    firefox and thunderbird.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  4. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:25:45 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:

    >>> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>> How do you install extensions and themes?

    >> You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?

    > Not so fast ... when you read the readme from the seamonkey download, it
    > says something like: run it with root first ... but don't with sudo
    > (profile screw up).

    What does that have to do with installing extensions and themes, which is
    what the question was asking?

    > I used seamonkey under winxp. seamonkey installation under *ubuntu is a
    > bit more complex, as I saw it.

    Nobody was talking about installing Seamonkey. Try to keep up, will ya?

    >I thought I saw something at debian.org,
    > which has iceape as fork of. Somewhere on internet there is a sort of
    > manual for ubuntu seamonkey (=iceape) installation. That is why I use
    > firefox and thunderbird.

    Have you been drinking?

  5. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    CPDR wrote:
    > Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >
    > How do you install extensions and themes?

    It's not really much different from installing them in Firefox, although
    you generally need to find the Seamonkey-specific version. It's worth
    trying Firefox versions of extensions/themes because sometimes the
    maintainers seem to make them Seamonkey-compatible without actually
    documenting it.

    *REMOVING* extensions and themes, on the other hand, is a royal pain.

  6. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    xubunt6 pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on 9/2/2007
    5:25 AM:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:24:20 +0000, CPDR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>>
    >>> How do you install extensions and themes?

    >> You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?

    I didn't see Dan C's thoughtful response, but on that webpage, there's
    nothign about installing extensions!

    > Not so fast ... when you read the readme from the seamonkey download,
    > it says something like: run it with root first ... but don't with
    > sudo (profile screw up).

    From

    Manual Installation With the tar.gz Archive

    To install SeaMonkey by downloading the .tar.gz archive file:

    1. Create a directory named "seamonkey1.1.4" (mkdir seamonkey1.1.4)
    and change to that directory (cd seamonkey1.1.4).
    2. Click the link to download the non-installer seamonkey*.tar.gz
    file into the seamonkey1.1.4 directory.
    3. Change to the seamonkey directory (cd seamonkey1.1.4) and
    decompress the file with the following command:
    gunzip -dc sea*.tar.gz | tar -xvf - (This creates a "seamonkey"
    subdirectory under your seamonkey1.1.4 directory.)
    4. Change to the seamonkey directory (cd seamonkey).
    5. Run SeaMonkey with the ./seamonkey run script.

    > I used seamonkey under winxp. seamonkey installation under *ubuntu is
    > a bit more complex, as I saw it. I thought I saw something at
    > debian.org, which has iceape as fork of. Somewhere on internet there
    > is a sort of manual for ubuntu seamonkey (=iceape) installation. That
    > is why I use firefox and thunderbird.

    I'll take a look at iceape.

  7. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    Scribbler pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on 9/2/2007
    11:34 AM:
    > CPDR wrote:
    >> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>
    >> How do you install extensions and themes?

    > It's not really much different from installing them in Firefox,

    If yopu try to install them while running as the "first user", there are
    directory permissions problems.

    > although
    > you generally need to find the Seamonkey-specific version. It's worth
    > trying Firefox versions of extensions/themes because sometimes the
    > maintainers seem to make them Seamonkey-compatible without actually
    > documenting it.
    >
    > *REMOVING* extensions and themes, on the other hand, is a royal pain.

    First things first. :-)

  8. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:24:20 +0000, CPDR wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>
    >> How do you install extensions and themes?

    > You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?

    What instructions???

  9. Re: Seamonkey and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:44:58 +0000, CPDR wrote:

    >>> Anyone using Seamonkey?
    >>> How do you install extensions and themes?

    >> You can't read (and follow) the instructions here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ ?

    > What instructions???

    You don't see the friggin link called "Get Extensions" ??? You need
    somebody to hold your hand while you click that, then choose the ****ing
    extension you want, and then click "Install Now".

    Who ties your ****ing shoelaces for you in the mornings?