mkisofs: a dot question? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on mkisofs: a dot question? - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have been burning DVDs using the following commands: cd Desktop vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0 cd mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso . But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final dot after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without ...

  1. mkisofs: a dot question?

    Hi,

    I have been burning DVDs using the following commands:

    cd Desktop
    vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    cd
    mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso .

    But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final dot
    after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without which the command fails.

    Does this imply that mkisofs needs to return to its 'working
    directory' from the 'parent directory' implied by the .. path?

    I suspect this _is_ the case so can I also ask is there a less
    convoluted syntax for this command?

    Thanks for your trouble,

    Andrew

    --
    Setting up slrn for Ubuntu Linux
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/slrn.html

  2. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    * andrew :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been burning DVDs using the following commands:
    >
    > cd Desktop
    > vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    > cd
    > mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso .
    >
    > But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final dot
    > after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without which the command fails.

    mkisofs requires one or more pathspec arguments specifying the files and
    directories to include in the generated ISO. That is what the dot
    specifies in the command line you've shown.

    > Does this imply that mkisofs needs to return to its 'working
    > directory' from the 'parent directory' implied by the .. path?

    As '..' exists in every directory as a hard link to the parent
    directory, '.' exists in a every directory as a hard link to itself.
    It is a convenience simply specifying '.' for the current working
    directory rather than having to use the full path.

    > I suspect this _is_ the case so can I also ask is there a less
    > convoluted syntax for this command?

    You could skip the last directory change, thusly:

    $ cd Desktop
    $ vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    $ mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o MOVIE_Name.iso

    Otherwise, it seems to be the most concise way to accomplish what you're
    doing. What do you find convoluted about it?

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  3. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On 2007-09-02, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * andrew :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been burning DVDs using the following commands:
    >>
    >> cd Desktop
    >> vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    >> cd
    >> mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso .
    >>
    >> But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final dot
    >> after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without which the command fails.

    > mkisofs requires one or more pathspec arguments specifying the files and
    > directories to include in the generated ISO. That is what the dot
    > specifies in the command line you've shown.

    Please pardon an obtuse question: So the final dot simply represents a
    reference point from which ../MOVIE_Name.iso is formed (to its parent
    directory)?

    > Otherwise, it seems to be the most concise way to accomplish what you're
    > doing. What do you find convoluted about it?

    I suspect that the syntax is not convoluted but my understanding of
    relative pathways is poor :-)

    Thanks for your trouble,

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  4. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On 2007-09-02, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-09-02, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    >> * andrew :
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have been burning DVDs using the following commands:
    >>>
    >>> cd Desktop
    >>> vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    >>> cd
    >>> mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso .
    >>>
    >>> But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final dot
    >>> after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without which the command fails.

    >> mkisofs requires one or more pathspec arguments specifying the files and
    >> directories to include in the generated ISO. That is what the dot
    >> specifies in the command line you've shown.

    > Please pardon an obtuse question: So the final dot simply represents a
    > reference point from which ../MOVIE_Name.iso is formed (to its parent
    > directory)?

    No, stupid!! The final dot is telling mkisofs what material to use to
    create ../MOVIE_Name.iso i.e. the material in the current / working
    directory.

    Thanks for helping me puzzle this out,

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  5. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On 2007-09-02, andrew wrote:

    [...]

    > No, stupid!! The final dot is telling mkisofs what material to use to
    > create ../MOVIE_Name.iso i.e. the material in the current / working
    > directory.

    Actually my previous post was _so_ stupid I wish I could somehow suck
    it back from Usenet before anybody could read it. Hmmm.... (goes
    looking for usenet vaccuum cleaner) ....

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  6. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 06:53:00 +0000 (UTC)
    andrew wrote:

    > On 2007-09-02, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > > * andrew :
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I have been burning DVDs using the following commands:
    > >>
    > >> cd Desktop
    > >> vobcopy -v -m /media/cdrom0
    > >> cd
    > >> mkisofs -v -dvd-video -o ../MOVIE_Name.iso .
    > >>
    > >> But I am a little confused with the path requirement of the final

    > >dot > after ../MOVIE_Name.iso without which the command fails.
    > >
    > > mkisofs requires one or more pathspec arguments specifying the files
    > > and directories to include in the generated ISO. That is what the
    > > dot specifies in the command line you've shown.

    > Please pardon an obtuse question: So the final dot simply represents a
    > reference point from which ../MOVIE_Name.iso is formed (to its parent
    > directory)?
    >
    > > Otherwise, it seems to be the most concise way to accomplish what
    > > you're doing. What do you find convoluted about it?

    > I suspect that the syntax is not convoluted but my understanding of
    > relative pathways is poor :-)

    .. is where you are.
    ... is one level up.

    So, if you are in /home/andrew/movies :
    .. = /home/andrew/movies
    ... = /home/andrew

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On 2007-09-02, Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 06:53:00 +0000 (UTC)

    [...]

    > . is where you are.
    > .. is one level up.
    >
    > So, if you are in /home/andrew/movies :
    > . = /home/andrew/movies
    > .. = /home/andrew

    Thanks for that. What I missed overall was the syntax for mkisofs:

    mkisofs options path/to/iso path/to/ripped/movie

    but now it has all become clear and is of course well described in the
    man pages:

    mkisofs [ options ] [ -o filename ] pathspec [pathspec ...]

    pathspec is the path of the directory tree to be copied
    into the iso9660 filesystem. Multiple paths can be specified, and
    mkisofs will merge the files found in all of the specified path
    components to form the cdrom image.he cdrom image.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  8. Re: mkisofs: a dot question?

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:34:35 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-09-02, andrew wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> No, stupid!! The final dot is telling mkisofs what material to use to
    >> create ../MOVIE_Name.iso i.e. the material in the current / working
    >> directory.

    > Actually my previous post was _so_ stupid I wish I could somehow suck
    > it back from Usenet before anybody could read it. Hmmm.... (goes
    > looking for usenet vaccuum cleaner) ....

    Since Google does not deem this group worthy of archiving it will die off
    as servers purge it due to age...

    Cheers,
    Goph

    --