Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution - Ubuntu ; * Michael Trausch wrote, On 28/08/07 06:21 PM: > Rufus T. Firefly, on 08/28/2007 06:14 PM said: >> I've always found judicious use of the 'n' key works for me. To each >> their own. >> > > Don't forget ...

  1. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    * Michael Trausch wrote, On 28/08/07 06:21 PM:
    > Rufus T. Firefly, on 08/28/2007 06:14 PM said:
    >> I've always found judicious use of the 'n' key works for me. To each
    >> their own.
    >>

    > Don't forget about "K"! (nonintuitively called "ignore thread", but
    > just about everyone that's used Usenet for any amount of time probably
    > knows why it's called "K"...)

    I wish that this still worked on my installation (1.5.013)
    under Feisty 7.04. Most of the single-key shortcuts still
    work (M(ark), N(ext), R(ead) ... F,B,P,H, I, etc.) but
    K(ill) and W(atch) have been euthanized for some reason.
    Action via menus is OK.

    I can't think of where or what the conflict might be*, and
    was hoping an upgrade to 2.0.0.6 might offer a fix, but
    learned that no such upgrade will be offered from the
    repositories. Not wanting to use the alternative upgrade
    route, I may have to wait for 'Gutsy'.

    *Short of testing any extensions one-by-one.

    --

    Tom H
    [ antonomasia gmail com ]

  2. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:10:48 -0400
    anTonOMasia wrote:

    > * Michael Trausch wrote, On 28/08/07 06:21 PM:
    > > Rufus T. Firefly, on 08/28/2007 06:14 PM said:
    > >> I've always found judicious use of the 'n' key works for me. To each
    > >> their own.
    > >>

    > > Don't forget about "K"! (nonintuitively called "ignore thread", but
    > > just about everyone that's used Usenet for any amount of time probably
    > > knows why it's called "K"...)

    > I wish that this still worked on my installation (1.5.013)
    > under Feisty 7.04. Most of the single-key shortcuts still
    > work (M(ark), N(ext), R(ead) ... F,B,P,H, I, etc.) but
    > K(ill) and W(atch) have been euthanized for some reason.
    > Action via menus is OK.
    >
    > I can't think of where or what the conflict might be*, and
    > was hoping an upgrade to 2.0.0.6 might offer a fix, but
    > learned that no such upgrade will be offered from the
    > repositories. Not wanting to use the alternative upgrade
    > route, I may have to wait for 'Gutsy'.
    >

    > *Short of testing any extensions one-by-one.

    Mike, add Thunderbird to your sig so they'll know :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  3. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    Trevor Best, on 09/01/2007 04:32 PM said:

    > Mike, add Thunderbird to your sig so they'll know :-)

    Done... can't do that for /everything/ though... somewhat soon, though,
    we're going to have a repo setup for lots of often-requested backports
    and ports to Ubuntu. Just have to get the time together to make it
    happen; we'd like to maintain such a thing starting for sure with Gutsy.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!

  4. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    * anTonOMasia wrote, On 01/09/07 04:10 PM:
    > * Michael Trausch wrote, On 28/08/07 06:21 PM:
    >> Rufus T. Firefly, on 08/28/2007 06:14 PM said:
    >>> I've always found judicious use of the 'n' key works for me. To each
    >>> their own.
    >>>

    >> Don't forget about "K"! (nonintuitively called "ignore thread", but
    >> just about everyone that's used Usenet for any amount of time probably
    >> knows why it's called "K"...)

    > I wish that this still worked on my installation (1.5.013) under Feisty
    > 7.04. Most of the single-key shortcuts still work (M(ark), N(ext),
    > R(ead) ... F,B,P,H, I, etc.) but K(ill) and W(atch) have been euthanized
    > for some reason. Action via menus is OK.
    >
    > I can't think of where or what the conflict might be*, and was hoping an
    > upgrade to 2.0.0.6 might offer a fix, but learned that no such upgrade
    > will be offered from the repositories. Not wanting to use the
    > alternative upgrade route, I may have to wait for 'Gutsy'.
    >

    > *Short of testing any extensions one-by-one.

    FUP w/'solution' ...

    Tried 2.0.0.6 installation via using a third-party
    repository from Iuculano. (See:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThunderbirdNewVersion )
    This resulted in TB crashing with each new receipt of mail
    and left several extensions unsupported (even though TB 2.0
    has been out almost five months).

    Going back to 1.5.013 was painless and fixed the K/W key issue.

    --

    Tom H
    [ antonomasia gmail com ]

+ Reply to Thread