Terminal Screen - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Terminal Screen - Ubuntu ; Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For instance, when I call up the terminal screen and then type, "slrn" to read the postings, etcetera, the size of the screen is small. Of course, ...

  1. Terminal Screen

    Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For
    instance, when I call up the terminal screen and then type, "slrn" to read
    the postings, etcetera, the size of the screen is small. Of course, I
    adjust the screen size with my mouse pointer, but I'm looking for a way to
    have the Terminal Screen open up in a predetermined size so that I won't
    have to manually adjust it. Is there a way to do that? My OS is Ubuntu
    7.04. Thank you in advance.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  2. Re: Terminal Screen

    On 01 Sep 2007 14:30:03 GMT, Doug Jamal wrote:
    > Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen?

    If xterm is installed, you might try creating a desktop shortcut with
    the command
    xterm -geom 90x35+150+200 -e slrn
    and see how that goes.

    man xterm for xterm arguments, and man X for the rest that may be
    available since xterm is an X widget.

  3. Re: Terminal Screen

    On 2007-09-01, Bit Twister intrigued me by typing:
    > On 01 Sep 2007 14:30:03 GMT, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >> Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen?

    > If xterm is installed, you might try creating a desktop shortcut with
    > the command
    > xterm -geom 90x35+150+200 -e slrn
    > and see how that goes.
    >
    > man xterm for xterm arguments, and man X for the rest that may be
    > available since xterm is an X widget.

    Thank you for the speedy reply. I'll give it a try and let you know how it
    went. Thank you again. Take care.
    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  4. Re: Terminal Screen

    Doug Jamal wrote:
    > Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For
    > instance, when I call up the terminal screen and then type, "slrn" to read
    > the postings, etcetera, the size of the screen is small. Of course, I
    > adjust the screen size with my mouse pointer, but I'm looking for a way to
    > have the Terminal Screen open up in a predetermined size so that I won't
    > have to manually adjust it. Is there a way to do that? My OS is Ubuntu
    > 7.04. Thank you in advance.

    I just looked at the menu up top. I went into the settings. Adjusted
    the screen size before hand of course. Then saved the settings as
    default. I have full screen and a larger font. Every time I start up a
    terminal that's what I get. Over the last eight years I only lost the
    settings twice (of course a complete reinstall of the system loses the
    settings too).

    Later
    Mike

  5. Re: Terminal Screen

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:52:55 GMT, The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > I just looked at the menu up top. I went into the settings. Adjusted
    > the screen size before hand of course. Then saved the settings as
    > default. I have full screen and a larger font. Every time I start up a
    > terminal that's what I get.

    That is the downsize when using global settings.

    Using font and geom and for/background settings I have all sorts of
    "terminals" to do different activities.

    Doing a showrgb gives you a list of colors you can mix and match for cursor,
    forground and background colors.

    Using the -geom switch you get to set line length and number of lines.

    Doing a Ctl+left_mouse_button will give you a quick menu for
    different fonts on the fly.

    I made several scripts to launch xterms like xred, xwheat, xyellow,....
    Example:

    $ cat xwheat
    _bg=wheat
    xterm -title x${_bg} -wf \
    -tn vt100 -bg $_bg -fg Black -geom 80x24+310+104 \
    -n x${_bg} -xrm "*iconGeometry: +150+680" +aw \
    &

    I keep a watch on /var/log/messages with
    xconsole -geom 1032x50+400+00 -file /var/log/messages &
    That gives me a wide window I pin to top of my desktop and
    allows me to see people hitting my firewall.

    Oh yeah, you need to "chmod 644 /var/log/messages" so you can watch
    the log as a user.

  6. Re: Terminal Screen

    Doug Jamal :
    > Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For

    Numerous ways, yes. It's somewhat dependent on which X terminal you
    use, though. Kterm and Gnome-terminal have clickable menus to
    configure them. Others like XTerm, rxvt, and mrxvt obey X Resource
    settings. Here's some from my ~/.Xresources. Your X Window startup
    must "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources' for this to work (I have that in my
    ~/.xinitrc):

    XTerm*font: fixed
    XTerm*geometry: 90x43
    Rxvt.font: fixed
    Rxvt.geometry: 90x43
    mrxvt*foreground: wheat
    mrxvt*background: gray90
    mrxvt*initTermNumber: 2

    mrxvt also lets you use a ~/.mrxvtrc file for its settings, but I'd
    rather have all that sort of stuff in .Xresources together, where they
    ought to be.

    You can also define shell aliases to invoke them with different
    parameters. This is slrn in a wide window with a smaller than usual
    font (this is in my ~/.alias which is sourced by ~/.bashrc):

    ---------------------
    RXVT=/usr/bin/rxvt
    RXVTNEWSFONT='-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15'
    NEWSHOST='news.nucleus.com'
    NEWSGEOM='136x56+37+21'
    SLRN=/usr/bin/slrn
    alias nuc='$RXVT +sb -fn "$RXVTNEWSFONT" -geometry $NEWSGEOM -e $SLRN -h $NEWSHOST &'
    ---------------------

  7. Re: Terminal Screen

    On 2007-09-01, s. keeling intrigued me by typing:
    > Doug Jamal :
    >> Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For

    > Numerous ways, yes. It's somewhat dependent on which X terminal you
    > use, though. Kterm and Gnome-terminal have clickable menus to
    > configure them. Others like XTerm, rxvt, and mrxvt obey X Resource
    > settings. Here's some from my ~/.Xresources. Your X Window startup
    > must "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources' for this to work (I have that in my
    > ~/.xinitrc):
    >
    > XTerm*font: fixed
    > XTerm*geometry: 90x43
    > Rxvt.font: fixed
    > Rxvt.geometry: 90x43
    > mrxvt*foreground: wheat
    > mrxvt*background: gray90
    > mrxvt*initTermNumber: 2
    >
    > mrxvt also lets you use a ~/.mrxvtrc file for its settings, but I'd
    > rather have all that sort of stuff in .Xresources together, where they
    > ought to be.
    >
    > You can also define shell aliases to invoke them with different
    > parameters. This is slrn in a wide window with a smaller than usual
    > font (this is in my ~/.alias which is sourced by ~/.bashrc):
    >
    > ---------------------
    > RXVT=/usr/bin/rxvt
    > RXVTNEWSFONT='-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15'
    > NEWSHOST='news.nucleus.com'
    > NEWSGEOM='136x56+37+21'
    > SLRN=/usr/bin/slrn
    > alias nuc='$RXVT +sb -fn "$RXVTNEWSFONT" -geometry $NEWSGEOM -e $SLRN -h $NEWSHOST &'
    > ---------------------

    This is exactly the kind of information I was seeking. Thank you so much S.
    Keeling and to everyone else who posted replies to my question. I'm
    learning so much and I can't thank you all enough. Take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  8. Re: Terminal Screen

    Doug Jamal, on 09/01/2007 10:30 AM said:
    > Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For
    > instance, when I call up the terminal screen and then type, "slrn" to read
    > the postings, etcetera, the size of the screen is small. Of course, I
    > adjust the screen size with my mouse pointer, but I'm looking for a way to
    > have the Terminal Screen open up in a predetermined size so that I won't
    > have to manually adjust it. Is there a way to do that? My OS is Ubuntu
    > 7.04. Thank you in advance.

    I have a terminal launcher on my panel that is modified to open in
    something more comfortable to me. Just add a terminal launcher to your
    panel (right click, add to panel, Application Launcher, Accessories,
    Terminal), and then right click on that and adjust the command that it
    runs to something like the following:

    gnome-terminal --geometry=112x40

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!

  9. Re: Terminal Screen

    On 2007-09-02, Michael Trausch intrigued me by typing:
    > Doug Jamal, on 09/01/2007 10:30 AM said:
    >> Is there a way to automatically adjust the size of the Terminal Screen? For
    >> instance, when I call up the terminal screen and then type, "slrn" to read
    >> the postings, etcetera, the size of the screen is small. Of course, I
    >> adjust the screen size with my mouse pointer, but I'm looking for a way to
    >> have the Terminal Screen open up in a predetermined size so that I won't
    >> have to manually adjust it. Is there a way to do that? My OS is Ubuntu
    >> 7.04. Thank you in advance.
    >>

    > I have a terminal launcher on my panel that is modified to open in
    > something more comfortable to me. Just add a terminal launcher to your
    > panel (right click, add to panel, Application Launcher, Accessories,
    > Terminal), and then right click on that and adjust the command that it
    > runs to something like the following:
    >
    > gnome-terminal --geometry=112x40

    Thank you, sir. Works like a charm. I used it for Mutt in the following
    manner: gnome-terminal --geometry=85x27 --execute mutt
    Thanks again and take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  10. Re: Terminal Screen

    Doug Jamal, on 09/01/2007 10:59 PM said:

    > Thank you, sir. Works like a charm. I used it for Mutt in the following
    > manner: gnome-terminal --geometry=85x27 --execute mutt
    > Thanks again and take care.

    You are quite welcome. Glad that I could be of some assistance!

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!
    (And Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, too!) http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

+ Reply to Thread