Uninstall Nvidia driver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Uninstall Nvidia driver - Ubuntu ; Hi, have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver. How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by following some poorly written howto and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Hi,

    have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.

    How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and start
    anew?

    How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    snappy how-to that you'd like to share?

    As usual, thanks for the help!

  2. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi,
    >
    > have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    > totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >
    > How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    > following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and start
    > anew?
    >
    > How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    > snappy how-to that you'd like to share?
    >
    > As usual, thanks for the help!

    The best way to install the NVidia using a script is by using alberto
    Milone's Envy...
    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    He has a superb understanding of the system and his script reflects
    that.

    Alternatively, use the guide at
    www.ubuntuguide.org (which takes a more traditional approach). I've
    not linked directly to the page required as I'm noy sure which version
    of Ubuntu you are using. Your username suggest Edgy Eft but you may
    well be running Feisty.

    Before doing any of the above though, completely uninstall Automatix.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:45:52 -0400, edgy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    > totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >
    > How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    > following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and start
    > anew?
    >
    > How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    > snappy how-to that you'd like to share?
    >
    > As usual, thanks for the help!

    Another way to install / uninstall the nVidia Driver's is just by using
    nVidia's installer from their website.

    If you run it with --uninstall then it will remove any remnants of any
    current nvidia driver it finds. After that just run it again to re-install
    the driver.

    I've never had a problem with nVidia's driver script so far.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:45:52 -0400, edgy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    >> totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >>
    >> How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    >> following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and start
    >> anew?
    >>
    >> How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    >> snappy how-to that you'd like to share?
    >>
    >> As usual, thanks for the help!

    > Another way to install / uninstall the nVidia Driver's is just by using
    > nVidia's installer from their website.
    >
    > If you run it with --uninstall then it will remove any remnants of any
    > current nvidia driver it finds. After that just run it again to re-install
    > the driver.
    >
    > I've never had a problem with nVidia's driver script so far.

    Have you got a web site from where we can download it?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  5. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Alias wrote:
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:45:52 -0400, edgy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and
    >>> have totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >>>
    >>> How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    >>> following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and
    >>> start anew?
    >>>
    >>> How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some
    >>> particularly snappy how-to that you'd like to share?
    >>>
    >>> As usual, thanks for the help!

    >> Another way to install / uninstall the nVidia Driver's is just by using
    >> nVidia's installer from their website.
    >> If you run it with --uninstall then it will remove any remnants of any
    >> current nvidia driver it finds. After that just run it again to
    >> re-install
    >> the driver.
    >>
    >> I've never had a problem with nVidia's driver script so far.
    >>

    > Have you got a web site from where we can download it?

    As he said from there website. www.nvidia.co.uk

    Ram

  6. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Ram wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>> Another way to install / uninstall the nVidia Driver's is just by using
    >>> nVidia's installer from their website.
    >>> If you run it with --uninstall then it will remove any remnants of any
    >>> current nvidia driver it finds. After that just run it again to
    >>> re-install
    >>> the driver.
    >>>
    >>> I've never had a problem with nVidia's driver script so far.
    >>>

    >> Have you got a web site from where we can download it?
    >>

    > As he said from there website. www.nvidia.co.uk
    >
    > Ram

    If you mean this http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk,
    it doesn't list my card, a GeForce FX 6200.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  7. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On 1 Sep 2007 08:38:43 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > I've
    > not linked directly to the page required as I'm noy sure which version
    > of Ubuntu you are using. Your username suggest Edgy Eft but you may
    > well be running Feisty.

    Ooooh I dunno, TB2 would point to Gutsy but then you can TB2 on
    anything if you go by other means.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  8. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:57:27 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Ram wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Have you got a web site from where we can download it?
    >>>

    >> As he said from there website. www.nvidia.co.uk
    >>
    >> Ram

    > If you mean this http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk,
    > it doesn't list my card, a GeForce FX 6200.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.11.html

    That is the driver nVidia suggest for the Geforce FX series and Linux.

    If you want to run through the selection process yourself:

    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  9. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:03:57 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:57:27 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> As he said from there website. www.nvidia.co.uk
    >>>
    >>> Ram

    >> If you mean this http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk,
    >> it doesn't list my card, a GeForce FX 6200.
    >>

    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.11.html
    >
    > That is the driver nVidia suggest for the Geforce FX series and Linux.
    >
    > If you want to run through the selection process yourself:
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

    Though honestly, with a FX 6XXX series card, shouldn't that just be simply
    be supported via the restricted driver manager?

    The only nVidia card I have that I actually need to manually download
    nVidia's driver for is my 8800 GTX.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  10. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 1 Sep 2007 08:38:43 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> I've
    >> not linked directly to the page required as I'm noy sure which version
    >> of Ubuntu you are using. Your username suggest Edgy Eft but you may
    >> well be running Feisty.

    > Ooooh I dunno, TB2 would point to Gutsy but then you can TB2 on
    > anything if you go by other means.

    Why anyone would want to run TB(-{insert version number}-) at all,
    is beyond me. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Moog wrote:
    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 1 Sep 2007 08:38:43 GMT
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>

    > Why anyone would want to run TB(-{insert version number}-) at all,
    > is beyond me. ;-)

    because I don't want gmail spitting around in my e-mail?
    And saving my stuff for 18 months (or more?)
    ;-)

    Thunderbirds are goooo ...
    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  12. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On 1 Sep 2007 08:38:43 GMT
    >>> Moog wrote:
    >>>

    >> Why anyone would want to run TB(-{insert version number}-) at all,
    >> is beyond me. ;-)
    >>

    > because I don't want gmail spitting around in my e-mail?
    > And saving my stuff for 18 months (or more?)
    > ;-)
    >
    > Thunderbirds are goooo ...

    Heh. Played for and got. Here fishy, fishy. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Moog wrote:
    > xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>
    >>> Why anyone would want to run TB(-{insert version number}-) at all,
    >>> is beyond me. ;-)
    >>>

    >> because I don't want gmail spitting around in my e-mail?
    >> And saving my stuff for 18 months (or more?)
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> Thunderbirds are goooo ...

    > Heh. Played for and got. Here fishy, fishy. ;-)

    by the way, why would you need a nvidia driver?
    I have an nvidia card too, and use vesa + nvidia-glx
    the last part made my tv-card work ... otherwise I would have been quite
    happy too ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  14. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:05:11 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Though honestly, with a FX 6XXX series card, shouldn't that just be simply
    > be supported via the restricted driver manager?

    The 7400 Go on my laptop uses the restricted driver to good effect.

    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  15. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:03:57 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>> If you mean this http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk,
    >>> it doesn't list my card, a GeForce FX 6200.
    >>>

    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.11.html
    >>
    >> That is the driver nVidia suggest for the Geforce FX series and Linux.
    >>
    >> If you want to run through the selection process yourself:
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    >>

    > Though honestly, with a FX 6XXX series card, shouldn't that just be simply
    > be supported via the restricted driver manager?
    >
    > The only nVidia card I have that I actually need to manually download
    > nVidia's driver for is my 8800 GTX.

    I am using the restricted driver manager. If you say it's the same as
    manually installing the drivers, I'll just stick with the restricted
    driver manager.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  16. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> because I don't want gmail spitting around in my e-mail?
    >>> And saving my stuff for 18 months (or more?)
    >>> ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Thunderbirds are goooo ...

    >> Heh. Played for and got. Here fishy, fishy. ;-)
    >>

    > by the way, why would you need a nvidia driver?

    You'll need it if you wish to take full advantage of the hardware. I
    don't think the Open Source version (nv) will allow the running of Compiz
    Fusion, Beryl or Compis for instance.

    > I have an nvidia card too, and use vesa + nvidia-glx

    Hmmmm. You use vesa in you xorg? I may be wrong, but you should be
    using either nv or nvidia as your xorg driver. You may well have
    nvidia installed, but it sounds like you aren't using it.

    > the last part made my tv-card work ... otherwise I would have been quite
    > happy too ...

    If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  17. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>
    >> The only nVidia card I have that I actually need to manually download
    >> nVidia's driver for is my 8800 GTX.
    >>

    > I am using the restricted driver manager. If you say it's the same as
    > manually installing the drivers, I'll just stick with the restricted
    > driver manager.

    The Nvidia driver used by the restricted manager is generally a
    slightly older version than the one available from NVidia's site
    (check the version numbering via Synaptic and Nvidia.com to see if
    yours are different).

    However, this isn't always a bad thing. I'd suggest sticking with the
    Restricted Managers version unless you *have* to download and upgrade
    for any particular reason (unsupported card etc.).

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:49:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The only nVidia card I have that I actually need to manually download
    >>> nVidia's driver for is my 8800 GTX.
    >>>

    >> I am using the restricted driver manager. If you say it's the same as
    >> manually installing the drivers, I'll just stick with the restricted
    >> driver manager.

    > The Nvidia driver used by the restricted manager is generally a
    > slightly older version than the one available from NVidia's site
    > (check the version numbering via Synaptic and Nvidia.com to see if
    > yours are different).
    >
    > However, this isn't always a bad thing. I'd suggest sticking with the
    > Restricted Managers version unless you *have* to download and upgrade
    > for any particular reason (unsupported card etc.).

    Agreed, if it isn't broke then don't fix it.

    If the restricted driver manager's driver works...just use that. As Moog
    said, it's the same driver as on nVidia's site, just not necessarily the
    most recent version.

    But unless you are having problems, no need to change.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  19. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Moog wrote:
    > edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    >> totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >> How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    >> snappy how-to that you'd like to share?

    > The best way to install the NVidia using a script is by using alberto
    > Milone's Envy...
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    > He has a superb understanding of the system and his script reflects
    > that.

    Thanks - I went with Envy and it worked a charm! I just like the
    twinview thing and easily being able to put my monitors side-by-side or
    as clones.

    And for the record - I've used the name "edgy" online since my early
    teens (read "the dawn of the internet") and it has nothing to do with my
    particular choice of linux distro (I swear!). I am running 6.10 on my
    laptop with the thunderbird 2.0 issue, and 7.04 Japanese Version on the
    desktop with the Nvidia card.

  20. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 08:55:36 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Agreed, if it isn't broke then don't fix it.
    >
    > If the restricted driver manager's driver works...just use that. As Moog
    > said, it's the same driver as on nVidia's site, just not necessarily the
    > most recent version.
    >
    > But unless you are having problems, no need to change.

    Just remember when running the /latest/ software...

    The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs :-)