Uninstall Nvidia driver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Uninstall Nvidia driver - Ubuntu ; Moog writes: > edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >> Hi, >> >> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have >> totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver. >> >> How can I totally remove ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    Moog writes:

    > edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    >> totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >>
    >> How can I totally remove all the nvidia stuff I installed (partly by
    >> following some poorly written howto and aprtly with automatix) and start
    >> anew?

    A pain isn't it. One of the major problems with Linux is the plethora of
    half assed solutions which are poorly documented. It is always worth
    googling for the most recent upto date advice. I ad similar issues with
    my first Ubuntu install. Albert Milone's Envy fixed all the problems and
    now I rely on the restricted driver manager in Feisty.

    >> How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    >> snappy how-to that you'd like to share?
    >>
    >> As usual, thanks for the help!

    > The best way to install the NVidia using a script is by using alberto
    > Milone's Envy...
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    > He has a superb understanding of the system and his script reflects
    > that.

    Seconded.

    > Alternatively, use the guide at
    > www.ubuntuguide.org (which takes a more traditional approach). I've
    > not linked directly to the page required as I'm noy sure which version
    > of Ubuntu you are using. Your username suggest Edgy Eft but you may
    > well be running Feisty.
    >
    > Before doing any of the above though, completely uninstall Automatix.

    Seconded.

  2. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> edgy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> have my nvidia card working so-so with the standard vesa setup, and have
    >>> totally screwed up installing the Nvidia driver.
    >>> How did you install your card? Automatix? EasyUbuntu? some particularly
    >>> snappy how-to that you'd like to share?

    >> The best way to install the NVidia using a script is by using alberto
    >> Milone's Envy...
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >> He has a superb understanding of the system and his script reflects
    >> that.

    > Thanks - I went with Envy and it worked a charm! I just like the
    > twinview thing and easily being able to put my monitors side-by-side or
    > as clones.

    No problem. However, it's really Alberto you should be thanking. He's
    a top bloke.

    > And for the record - I've used the name "edgy" online since my early
    > teens (read "the dawn of the internet") and it has nothing to do with my
    > particular choice of linux distro (I swear!). I am running 6.10 on my
    > laptop with the thunderbird 2.0 issue, and 7.04 Japanese Version on the
    > desktop with the Nvidia card.

    Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I won't second guess which version
    you are running in future. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Uninstall Nvidia driver

    On 1 Sep 2007 11:24:09 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Why anyone would want to run TB(-{insert version number}-) at all,
    > is beyond me. ;-)

    I like it for e-mail...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481