OT -- Vista on a Mac - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT -- Vista on a Mac - Ubuntu ; Fish schrieb: > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:37:34 -0400, Joe LaVigne wrote: > > >> Why? I found it perfectly representative of M$'s OS offerings... ;-) >> >> > > BS. I've never had one BSOD on Vista and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish schrieb:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:37:34 -0400, Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >

    >> Why? I found it perfectly representative of M$'s OS offerings... ;-)
    >>

    > BS. I've never had one BSOD on Vista and I've been using it since beta.
    > Ubuntu crashed on me just from playing an OGG radio station yesterday
    > though requiring a hard reset.

    I had a BSOD on a freshly installed Vista while downloading System
    Updates ... and Vista reports since the beginning the failure of logmon
    .exe to be complete

    Adding the periodic freezes Vista seems reasonable stable ...

  2. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:18:50 GMT
    Fish wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:37:34 -0400, Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >

    > > Why? I found it perfectly representative of M$'s OS offerings... ;-)
    > >

    > BS. I've never had one BSOD on Vista and I've been using it since beta.
    > Ubuntu crashed on me just from playing an OGG radio station yesterday
    > though requiring a hard reset.

    You should google for "vista bsod" or "vista stop errors" and see that
    your experience doesn't actually cover everybody's experience.

    BTW I don't think much of Rhythmbox anyway, VLC Player might be worth a
    try. What radio station was it?

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  3. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:51:58 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > You should google for "vista bsod" or "vista stop errors" and see that
    > your experience doesn't actually cover everybody's experience.
    >
    > BTW I don't think much of Rhythmbox anyway, VLC Player might be worth a
    > try. What radio station was it?

    Funny you should say that as I just installed VLC yesterday. I use VLC in
    Windows too. The station was the Virgin Classic Rock station. I played it
    before with no issues but this time it crashed Rythm Box and froze Ubuntu
    so I had to do a hard reset.I've had a few OGG stations freeze the player
    though, in Windows too. Something funky going on with some OGG radio
    stations as some cause a freeze and others work perfectly. I've had plenty
    of issues with Vista but never a BSOD. BSOD's usually mean a hardware
    issue and not the OS itself.

  4. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:38:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > I've also seen others have BSOD's due to hardware and other pieces of
    > software. Don't be such a blind, blinkered fcukwit.

    **** you. Just because you had one BSOD doesn't mean Vista is BSOD prone
    like the person I was replying to stated. You Linux fanbois are always
    spreading FUD about Windows.

  5. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:53:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > You know, I don't think its so strange or blinkered. As I said, I used
    > NT/XP for years with no BSOD (maybe one or two in years). Maybe my HW
    > was better matched, I don't know. But for some reason people in Linux
    > groups seems to think that Windows users are plagued by these things on
    > a daily basis. They aren't. Really. Yes, there are issues. There are
    > issues with Linux too. I prefer Linux, but Windows is not the devil
    > incarnate you know.

    Exactly, it's just the usual Linux fanbois FUD. I used to have a great
    time winding up the Mandrake boys and looks like I may get some
    entertainment out of some of the lads in here too. Bring it on fanbois.

  6. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:11:34 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Note: I run XP. I develop software for windows on it.
    > And there is rarely a day where I don't get the BSOD (I have disabled the
    > automatic reboot which by default happen in XP instead of the BSOD), or I
    > am forced to reboot because the machine becomes unsuable.

    If you get a BSOD on a daily basis then I think your issue is more than
    just the OS. BSOD's are usually caused by bad hardware.

  7. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:38:20 +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

    > I had a BSOD on a freshly installed Vista while downloading System
    > Updates ...

    Yea, yea, three people claiming they got a BSOD is not indicative of the
    majority. Like I said, I had Ubuntu crash on me just yesterday. BFD!

  8. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    * Fish wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:38:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> I've also seen others have BSOD's due to hardware and other pieces of
    >> software. Don't be such a blind, blinkered fcukwit.

    > **** you. Just because you had one BSOD doesn't mean Vista is BSOD prone
    > like the person I was replying to stated. You Linux fanbois are always
    > spreading FUD about Windows.

    But Windows fanbois NEVER do that, nope not one of em.

    --
    David

    The default Magic Word, "Abracadabra", actually is a corruption of the
    Hebrew phrase "ha-Bracha dab'ra" which means "pronounce the blessing".

  9. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    * Fish wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:38:20 +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

    >> I had a BSOD on a freshly installed Vista while downloading System
    >> Updates ...

    > Yea, yea, three people claiming they got a BSOD is not indicative of the
    > majority. Like I said, I had Ubuntu crash on me just yesterday. BFD!

    3 people in a single thread on a relatively obscure medium. Nope,
    nothing to see here. Geez! Here you are complaining about Linux fanbois
    and yet you exhibit the exact same behavior you accuse them of.

    Things that make you go hmmm.....

    --
    David

    Your aim is high and to the right.

  10. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:11:34 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    >> Note: I run XP. I develop software for windows on it.
    >> And there is rarely a day where I don't get the BSOD (I have disabled the
    >> automatic reboot which by default happen in XP instead of the BSOD), or I
    >> am forced to reboot because the machine becomes unsuable.

    > If you get a BSOD on a daily basis

    I wrote BSOD *or* machine getting unuseable
    The latter one happens way more often. And *that* is a function of the OS
    being so incredibly ****ty. The BSODs (weekly / two-weekly, around that
    time frame) are just the icing on the cake of this "product" of typical MS
    incompetence I have to live with. And no, the BSODs are not caused by
    hardware in my case

    > then I think your issue is more than
    > just the OS. BSOD's are usually caused by bad hardware.

    Nope, windows fanboi

    And now, get lost. I have heard enough bull**** from your ilk.
    How about telling the truth for the very first time in your life? You might
    even like it
    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.

  11. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 03:28:31 GMT
    Fish wrote:

    > Funny you should say that as I just installed VLC yesterday. I use VLC in
    > Windows too. The station was the Virgin Classic Rock station. I played it
    > before with no issues but this time it crashed Rythm Box and froze Ubuntu
    > so I had to do a hard reset.I've had a few OGG stations freeze the player
    > though, in Windows too. Something funky going on with some OGG radio
    > stations as some cause a freeze and others work perfectly. I've had plenty
    > of issues with Vista but never a BSOD. BSOD's usually mean a hardware
    > issue and not the OS itself.

    The ogg stream works well with VLC, I was going to try it in Rythmpox
    but I had un-installed at the weekend, I could never get it to launch
    with a filename anyway. I have mentioned before about it having a mind
    of it's own (see thread all my oggs in one basket).

    Mind you I was listening to Radio Caroline on the ogg stream at the
    weekend, it started going a bit jerky after about 4 hours. I didn't try
    restarting or anything, I'd had enough by then :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  12. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:00:03 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > 3 people in a single thread on a relatively obscure medium. Nope,
    > nothing to see here. Geez! Here you are complaining about Linux fanbois
    > and yet you exhibit the exact same behavior you accuse them of.
    >
    > Things that make you go hmmm.....

    How can I possibly be a Microsoft fanboi if the majority of my time is
    spent in Linux? Hmmm?

  13. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:28:20 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Mind you I was listening to Radio Caroline on the ogg stream at the
    > weekend, it started going a bit jerky after about 4 hours. I didn't try
    > restarting or anything, I'd had enough by then :-)

    I haven't listened to Radio Caroline since I lived in London in '85. Have
    to check that one out. I just tried playing Drone Zone at somafm.com in
    VLC using mp3 and it was all messed up. It played but was distorted, must
    be using the wrong settings or something. Plays fine in Rhythm Box. I
    don't need OGG anymore as I have now enabled Ubuntu to play mp3.

  14. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:17:38 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > And now, get lost. I have heard enough bull**** from your ilk.
    > How about telling the truth for the very first time in your life? You might
    > even like it

    I will when you do the same. My guess is that won't be any time soon.

  15. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:00:02 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > But Windows fanbois NEVER do that, nope not one of em.

    Certainly not me as I have just dumped Vista64 as my main OS due to ****ty
    Nvidia drivers and no HP 64bit printer driver so have relegated Vista32bit
    to a backup machine instead. My main internet box is now Ubuntu and my
    main gaming box is XP. Vista is for ???. Oh well, Vista didn't cost me
    anything anyway as it was given to me for a litle bit of HTML I did for
    someone. Only thing is I installed 4gb of ram just for Vista64 and now XP
    can only use 3.25gb of it due to 32bit OS memory address space limitations.
    But that doesn't mean I am going to become a Linux fanboi and start
    spreading untrue FUD about Windows. I have done plenty of bitching about
    Microsoft though and was actually banned from HardOCP for my comments on
    Vista and going up against the Vista fanbois.

  16. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:00:03 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >

    >> 3 people in a single thread on a relatively obscure medium. Nope,
    >> nothing to see here. Geez! Here you are complaining about Linux fanbois
    >> and yet you exhibit the exact same behavior you accuse them of.
    >>
    >> Things that make you go hmmm.....
    >>

    > How can I possibly be a Microsoft fanboi if the majority of my time is
    > spent in Linux? Hmmm?

    Your posts make you a MS fanboi
    And your trolling in a linux group. To top it off, in a non-advocacy group
    --
    Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
    And web browsing. And viewing pictures. And...

  17. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish writes:

    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:11:34 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    >> Note: I run XP. I develop software for windows on it.
    >> And there is rarely a day where I don't get the BSOD (I have disabled the
    >> automatic reboot which by default happen in XP instead of the BSOD), or I
    >> am forced to reboot because the machine becomes unsuable.

    > If you get a BSOD on a daily basis then I think your issue is more than
    > just the OS. BSOD's are usually caused by bad hardware.

    If Peter get's a BSOD on XP "daily" he has done something very
    silly. More likely he is making it up. And I take no pleasure in saying
    that. It would seem that despite being a professional Windows user he
    has an almost pathological hatred of something he makes his income
    from. Strange.

  18. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish writes:

    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:53:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> You know, I don't think its so strange or blinkered. As I said, I used
    >> NT/XP for years with no BSOD (maybe one or two in years). Maybe my HW
    >> was better matched, I don't know. But for some reason people in Linux
    >> groups seems to think that Windows users are plagued by these things on
    >> a daily basis. They aren't. Really. Yes, there are issues. There are
    >> issues with Linux too. I prefer Linux, but Windows is not the devil
    >> incarnate you know.
    >>

    > Exactly, it's just the usual Linux fanbois FUD. I used to have a great
    > time winding up the Mandrake boys and looks like I may get some
    > entertainment out of some of the lads in here too. Bring it on fanbois.

    No. Not here. Normally the posters are quite sane. A lot use Windows and
    Ubuntu. The loonies reside in comp.os.linux.advocacy . Try there.

  19. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    Fish writes:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:00:02 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >

    >> But Windows fanbois NEVER do that, nope not one of em.
    >>

    > Certainly not me as I have just dumped Vista64 as my main OS due to ****ty
    > Nvidia drivers and no HP 64bit printer driver so have relegated Vista32bit
    > to a backup machine instead. My main internet box is now Ubuntu and my
    > main gaming box is XP. Vista is for ???. Oh well, Vista didn't cost me
    > anything anyway as it was given to me for a litle bit of HTML I did for
    > someone. Only thing is I installed 4gb of ram just for Vista64 and now XP
    > can only use 3.25gb of it due to 32bit OS memory address space limitations.
    > But that doesn't mean I am going to become a Linux fanboi and start
    > spreading untrue FUD about Windows. I have done plenty of bitching about
    > Microsoft though and was actually banned from HardOCP for my comments on
    > Vista and going up against the Vista fanbois.

    And my new machine ( hopefully today ....) will have XP installed and
    not Vista. I have decided that my main OS will be Debian Etch and I will
    keep an Ubuntu too in case of Debian failing me for whatever reason
    (still no printer working - usual cretin response of hardcore Debian
    "advocates" calling me a liar etc - so sad).

    --
    "No self-respecting fish would want to be wrapped in that kind of paper."
    -- Mike Royko on the Chicago Sun-Times after it was

  20. Re: OT -- Vista on a Mac

    * Fish wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:00:03 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >

    >> 3 people in a single thread on a relatively obscure medium. Nope,
    >> nothing to see here. Geez! Here you are complaining about Linux

    fanbois
    >> and yet you exhibit the exact same behavior you accuse them of.
    >>
    >> Things that make you go hmmm.....
    >>

    > How can I possibly be a Microsoft fanboi if the majority of my time is
    > spent in Linux? Hmmm?

    And we all know this how? Oh, becasue you told us and everything we read
    on the internet must be true.

    Your in a LINUX group it's natural to expect some slagging of Windows, if
    your skin is to thin to allow for that perhaps Usenet is not for you?

    All this said, using Linux does not preclude one from being an MS Fanboi,
    weve got a few in here.

    --
    David