Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best? - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote: Hello again Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but... I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I would prefer 1280 x ...

  1. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:

    Hello again

    Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but...
    I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I
    would prefer 1280 x 1024 but I cannot find where to change it.

    Many packages will not instaall on my 64 bit machine.

    and so forth.

    Thanks for your time.

    dkr

  2. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    On 2007-08-31, Doug Robinson blabbered on and on about Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best? in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >
    > Hello again
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but...
    > I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I
    > would prefer 1280 x 1024 but I cannot find where to change it.
    >
    > Many packages will not instaall on my 64 bit machine.
    >
    > and so forth.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > dkr

    I am by far an expert but I know that if you post some specifics about
    your problems the experts will be able to help you better.

    For example, are you using GDE (Ubuntu desktop) or KDE (Kubuntu
    desktop). The solutions to your problems will be different depending on
    what DE (desktop environment) you are using.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  3. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:41:30 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > On 2007-08-31, Doug Robinson blabbered on and on about Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best? in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    >> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello again
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but...
    >> I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I
    >> would prefer 1280 x 1024 but I cannot find where to change it.
    >>
    >> Many packages will not instaall on my 64 bit machine.
    >>
    >> and so forth.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.
    >>
    >> dkr

    > I am by far an expert but I know that if you post some specifics about
    > your problems the experts will be able to help you better.
    >
    > For example, are you using GDE (Ubuntu desktop) or KDE (Kubuntu
    > desktop). The solutions to your problems will be different depending on
    > what DE (desktop environment) you are using.

    Thanks - I got what I wanted here - thanks again guys - so
    I was not asking for futher help. Things are working quit smoothly
    now & I think I can solve the remaining problems eventually.

    PS - Ubuntu really is better!

  4. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    "Pseudo Silk Kimono" wrote in message
    > On 2007-08-31, Doug Robinson blabbered on and on about Re: Moving to
    > ubuntu - what is best? in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    >> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello again
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but...
    >> I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I
    >> would prefer 1280 x 1024 but I cannot find where to change it.
    >>
    >> Many packages will not instaall on my 64 bit machine.
    >>
    >> and so forth.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.
    >>
    >> dkr

    > I am by far an expert but I know that if you post some specifics about
    > your problems the experts will be able to help you better.

    Experts?! In this group? Just a buch of wannabe geeks at best

  5. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 00:05:45 -0400
    "Nero" wrote:

    > Experts?! In this group? Just a buch of wannabe geeks at best

    Aw come on, there's at least one expert, ****ifiknow who it is, but
    there is one.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  6. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 00:05:45 -0400
    > "Nero" wrote:
    >
    >> Experts?! In this group? Just a buch of wannabe geeks at best

    > Aw come on, there's at least one expert, ****ifiknow who it is, but
    > there is one.

    There are two sorts of people that frequent computer help newsgroups.
    Those that know how to use Google, and those that don't. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    "Moog" wrote in message

    > There are two sorts of people that frequent computer help newsgroups.
    > Those that know how to use Google, and those that don't. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Moog

    Wow, this is so profound! <|:->
    I am guessing that you spend half of your life searching Google for
    solutions to how to fix Ubontu bugs. It makes sense, though, your Google
    expertise buys you time; it determines how long you run Ubonto without
    crashing it once you run out of Google solutions.

  8. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    Nero illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >
    >> There are two sorts of people that frequent computer help newsgroups.
    >> Those that know how to use Google, and those that don't. ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog

    > Wow, this is so profound! <|:->
    > I am guessing that you spend half of your life searching Google for
    > solutions to how to fix Ubontu bugs. It makes sense, though, your Google
    > expertise buys you time; it determines how long you run Ubonto without
    > crashing it once you run out of Google solutions.

    I love it when people refuse to get humour.

    Nero eh? Seems an apt name for you. I hope you are enjoying your fiddling
    in a newsgroup you have absolutely no interest in?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    Nero wrote:

    > "Pseudo Silk Kimono" wrote in message
    >> On 2007-08-31, Doug Robinson blabbered on and on about Re: Moving to
    >> ubuntu - what is best? in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    >>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:14:48 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hello again
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the advice. The install went very well but...
    >>> I have many problems. e.g. the screen size came up 1024 x 768, I
    >>> would prefer 1280 x 1024 but I cannot find where to change it.
    >>>
    >>> Many packages will not instaall on my 64 bit machine.
    >>>
    >>> and so forth.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >>>
    >>> dkr

    >> I am by far an expert but I know that if you post some specifics about
    >> your problems the experts will be able to help you better.

    > Experts?! In this group? Just a buch of wannabe geeks at best

    At least they are not dumb enough to run OE
    --
    begin LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.VBS
    I am an email virus. ILOVEYOU. Download me

  10. Re: Moving to ubuntu - what is best?

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 00:05:45 -0400
    > "Nero" wrote:
    >
    >> Experts?! In this group? Just a buch of wannabe geeks at best

    > Aw come on, there's at least one expert, ****ifiknow who it is, but
    > there is one.

    ah, don't say... Is it you, lad?

+ Reply to Thread