Any Xubuntu folks around here? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Any Xubuntu folks around here? - Ubuntu ; I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I ...

  1. Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set up
    yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set up
    accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's a
    little different apparently than setting up network printers under Gnome.
    Tips or links would be appreciated.

    --
    Cheers, Dzhokhar

  2. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:
    > I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set
    > up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    > (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set
    > up accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's
    > a little different apparently than setting up network printers under
    > Gnome. Tips or links would be appreciated.

    I'm reading that you can either install the gnome graphical printer
    utility which carries some gnome baggage with it, or you can use this
    guy's xprinterconf tool^1 for a lighter weight operation.

    I'm not sure that xprinterconf detects network printers -- so for a
    network printer, you might be better off adding the gnome-cups-manager.

    ^1
    http://www.nongeekperspective.com/20...u.html#install
    If you use Xubuntu you may be noticed that there's no utility for
    printer setting. That's why I decided to write a simple utility to add
    and remove printers. -- this tool has been updated and is recommended to
    download the new version instead. -- extract the contents of the zip
    file to any directory and run xprinterconf from the command line: -

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:01:15 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    [...]
    > I'm reading that you can either install the gnome graphical printer
    > utility which carries some gnome baggage with it, or you can use this
    > guy's xprinterconf tool^1 for a lighter weight operation.
    >
    > I'm not sure that xprinterconf detects network printers -- so for a
    > network printer, you might be better off adding the gnome-cups-manager.
    >
    > ^1
    > http://www.nongeekperspective.com/20...ng-printer-in-

    xubuntu.html#install
    > If you use Xubuntu you may be noticed that there's no utility for
    > printer setting. That's why I decided to write a simple utility to add
    > and remove printers. -- this tool has been updated and is recommended to
    > download the new version instead. -- extract the contents of the zip
    > file to any directory and run xprinterconf from the command line: -

    Thanks, Mike.
    I grabbed a copy of xprinterconf and a copy of the src. I'll see what it
    does do later tonight.
    As far as the gnome-cups-manager, it's something else to look into. I've
    been surfing the Ubuntu Forums a bit. Apparently you are supposed to use
    Webmin to add/subtract or divide printers in Xubuntu. I'll have to see if
    that's installed and have a shot at that too. Last time I tried webmin I
    wasn't too happy with it...it's sorta like swat and Samba.

    --
    Cheers, Dzhokhar

  4. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:09:16 -0500, Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:

    > I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I
    > set up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited
    > resources (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now
    > I need to set up accessing the network printers. Haven't figured
    > that out yet. It's a little different apparently than setting up
    > network printers under Gnome. Tips or links would be appreciated.

    Applications Menu => Settings => Printing; check box 'show shared
    printers' (maybe), hit 'New Printer' button, follow the wizard...

    --
    Chris Game

    Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...

  5. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:28:30 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:09:16 -0500, Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:
    >
    >> I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set
    >> up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    >> (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set up
    >> accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's a
    >> little different apparently than setting up network printers under
    >> Gnome. Tips or links would be appreciated.

    > Applications Menu => Settings => Printing; check box 'show shared
    > printers' (maybe), hit 'New Printer' button, follow the wizard...

    No joy with that either. I have found out that there is an unresolved bug
    in using CUPS webadmin that makes it very difficult to establish user or
    root password authentication if you are using Dapper (Ubuntu or Xubuntu
    606.1). {grumble}

    At this point I think I'll call it a night. Tomorrow the Xubuntu install
    may get flushed and replaced with Feisty and Gnome.

    --
    Cheers, Dzhokhar

  6. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer

    Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:
    > I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set up
    > yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    > (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set up
    > accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's a
    > little different apparently than setting up network printers under Gnome.
    > Tips or links would be appreciated.

    I use xubuntu ...
    and set up a printer
    use:
    http://localhost:631/admin/
    search on internet which "printer to add"

    Oh, yes, when asked for password: type the one belonging to your current
    login! (someone elses mistake....)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  7. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:
    >> I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set
    >> up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    >> (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set
    >> up accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's
    >> a little different apparently than setting up network printers under
    >> Gnome.
    >> Tips or links would be appreciated.

    Network printer???
    Below the stand alone printer. For network printing you need Samba
    somehow, as you know. I don't use that.

    **** & sorry, I almost forgot a "minor" error ... cups went broken in
    xubuntu 6061 / lts ...
    Here my "manual" to install a canon ip 3000 pixma (one of the linux
    printing disaster scenarios ... ;-) )
    ======================
    Printer: Canon Pixma IP 3000:
    Shell: sudo foomatic-cleanupdrivers
    (Cups got "broken" in going from 1.1 to 1.2, Xubuntu 6 LTS)
    Menu: System: Users and Groups:
    click tab: groups
    select: show all users
    select group: shadow
    click properties
    add user: cupsys to the group
    Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
    http://localhost:631/admin/
    Add: Make and Model: Canon PIXMA iP4000 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2
    (black only: text)
    Add: Make and Model: Canon BJC-7000 Foomatic/bjc6000a1.upp (for color)
    ================
    Once again: under xubuntu, when already logged on, when asked for
    password: your password for current login in required. For this your
    login an password may be required. No root, which is standard locked ...
    This worked with me, so it should work with you ...
    succes!
    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  8. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer

    xubunt6 wrote in

    > Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:
    >> I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I
    >> set up yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited
    >> resources (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now
    >> I need to set up accessing the network printers. Haven't figured
    >> that out yet. It's a little different apparently than setting up
    >> network printers under Gnome. Tips or links would be appreciated.
    >>

    > I use xubuntu ...
    > and set up a printer
    > use:
    > http://localhost:631/admin/
    > search on internet which "printer to add"
    >
    > Oh, yes, when asked for password: type the one belonging to your
    > current login! (someone elses mistake....)

    Hi, I have switched machines to make this reply this morning.

    I repeatedly tried using my log-in USID and PW, and got stuck in an
    endless loop. I finally went to the CUPS.org home page and searched for
    an answer. Apparently I need to do some editing of the lpadmin conf
    file and set things to look at shadow passwords. I'll work on that
    editing job between now and Monday evening. If I can get things
    straighted out, great. If not I think I'll scrub that project and
    install a regular Gnome using version of Ubuntu. Had one suggestion to
    goto Simply MEPIS or PCLOS, but I don't care for KDE. Since this
    machine is for the use of an 11 year old, the simpler I keep things the
    better.

    Thank you, xubunt6 for the suggestions and direction.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt (aka Dzhokhar)

  9. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    xubunt6 wrote in
    [...]
    > Network printer???
    > Below the stand alone printer. For network printing you need Samba
    > somehow, as you know. I don't use that.
    >

    > **** & sorry, I almost forgot a "minor" error ... cups went broken
    > in xubuntu 6061 / lts ...

    [...]

    No worries. Thanks again. It looks like I should scrub the 606.1 LTS
    and just go with Feisty's version of Xubuntu. Hmmm. Well, more things
    to learn every day.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt (Dzhokhar)

  10. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    Kurt wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote in
    > [...]
    >> Network printer???
    >> Below the stand alone printer. For network printing you need Samba
    >> somehow, as you know. I don't use that.
    >>

    >> **** & sorry, I almost forgot a "minor" error ... cups went broken
    >> in xubuntu 6061 / lts ...
    >>

    > [...]
    >
    > No worries. Thanks again. It looks like I should scrub the 606.1 LTS
    > and just go with Feisty's version of Xubuntu. Hmmm. Well, more things
    > to learn every day.

    My pleasure. success with 704. 704 is not without problems either, by
    the way: since it is newer, it shows a bug or two more, sometimes, I
    read in the NG's ... ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  11. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    xubunt6 wrote in

    > Kurt wrote:
    >> xubunt6 wrote in
    >> [...]
    >>> Network printer???
    >>> Below the stand alone printer. For network printing you need
    >>> Samba somehow, as you know. I don't use that.
    >>>

    >>> **** & sorry, I almost forgot a "minor" error ... cups went
    >>> broken in xubuntu 6061 / lts ...
    >>>

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> No worries. Thanks again. It looks like I should scrub the 606.1
    >> LTS and just go with Feisty's version of Xubuntu. Hmmm. Well,
    >> more things to learn every day.
    >>

    > My pleasure. success with 704. 704 is not without problems either,
    > by the way: since it is newer, it shows a bug or two more,
    > sometimes, I read in the NG's ... ;-)

    Well, humans wrote the code, yes? But if CUPS got fixed I can probably
    live with 704.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  12. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    Kurt wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote in
    >
    >> Kurt wrote:
    >>> xubunt6 wrote in
    >>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> No worries. Thanks again. It looks like I should scrub the 606.1
    >>> LTS and just go with Feisty's version of Xubuntu. Hmmm. Well,
    >>> more things to learn every day.
    >>>

    >> My pleasure. success with 704. 704 is not without problems either,
    >> by the way: since it is newer, it shows a bug or two more,
    >> sometimes, I read in the NG's ... ;-)
    >>

    > Well, humans wrote the code, yes? But if CUPS got fixed I can probably
    > live with 704.

    suit it yourself, but the manual I sent fixes cups ...
    success however.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  13. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:02:56 +0000, Kurt wrote:

    > xubunt6 wrote in
    >
    >> Kurt wrote:
    >>> xubunt6 wrote in
    >>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> No worries. Thanks again. It looks like I should scrub the 606.1
    >>> LTS and just go with Feisty's version of Xubuntu. Hmmm. Well,
    >>> more things to learn every day.
    >>>

    >> My pleasure. success with 704. 704 is not without problems either,
    >> by the way: since it is newer, it shows a bug or two more,
    >> sometimes, I read in the NG's ... ;-)
    >>

    > Well, humans wrote the code, yes? But if CUPS got fixed I can probably
    > live with 704.

    I suggest you install Ubuntu, install the printer, then install the xfce
    desktop.

  14. Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here? - printer install

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:32:04 -0600, ray wrote:

    [...]
    > I suggest you install Ubuntu, install the printer, then install the xfce
    > desktop.

    That would work, but I went ahead and scrubbed 606.1 and did a fresh
    install of Feisty Xubuntu. I'll get around to setting up one printer
    tomorrow.

    --
    Cheers, Dzhokhar

  15. SOLVED Re: Any Xubuntu folks around here?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:09:16 -0500, Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis wrote:

    > I need a little help with setting up printing on a machine that I set up
    > yesterday. I set up a machine for my son that has limited resources
    > (PIII-733 with 384 megs of RAM) that uses Xubuntu. Now I need to set up
    > accessing the network printers. Haven't figured that out yet. It's a
    > little different apparently than setting up network printers under
    > Gnome. Tips or links would be appreciated.

    Thank you, gents for you suggestions and ideas. I scrubbed the Xubuntu
    606.1 LTS installation and replaced it with Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty. That
    seemed to be easier than doing any real hacking at the problem. I have
    just finished setting up one printer for son to use. CUPS 1.2 (which may
    not be anyones fav) automatically detected the network printer. And the
    broken userid/pw bug was fixed in the newer version.

    Now I have to get used to exercising my rootly powers under xfce instead
    of Gnome.

    --
    Cheers, Dzhokhar

+ Reply to Thread