debian - xfce - clean install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on debian - xfce - clean install - Ubuntu ; Hello, As shown below, I installed linux - debian - xfce by installing xubuntu. I heard that debian can be combined "by hand" with xfce. Questions: - is there a handy, easy way to install xfce, other than a distribtion ...

  1. debian - xfce - clean install

    Hello,

    As shown below, I installed linux - debian - xfce by installing xubuntu.
    I heard that debian can be combined "by hand" with xfce.

    Questions:
    - is there a handy, easy way to install xfce, other than a distribtion
    like xubuntu or e.g. zenwalk?
    - when I install debian by an iso from debian.org, can I add xfce easy,
    keeping the benefit of a sort of small, clean, fast xfce installation?

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  2. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > As shown below, I installed linux - debian - xfce by installing xubuntu.
    > I heard that debian can be combined "by hand" with xfce.
    >
    > Questions:
    > - is there a handy, easy way to install xfce, other than a distribtion
    > like xubuntu or e.g. zenwalk?
    > - when I install debian by an iso from debian.org, can I add xfce easy,
    > keeping the benefit of a sort of small, clean, fast xfce installation?

    Hi
    If you do a server install of ubuntu, then apt-get update, apt-get
    install xfce4 or xubuntu-desktop

    or have a look here
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones

    then do the above.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  3. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:40:36 +0200
    xubunt6 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > As shown below, I installed linux - debian - xfce by installing xubuntu.
    > I heard that debian can be combined "by hand" with xfce.
    >
    > Questions:
    > - is there a handy, easy way to install xfce, other than a distribtion
    > like xubuntu or e.g. zenwalk?
    > - when I install debian by an iso from debian.org, can I add xfce easy,
    > keeping the benefit of a sort of small, clean, fast xfce installation?

    Dunno from Debian but from Ubuntu you just install XFWM from
    Synaptic...

    ....then load it up with Gnome services and add Beryl, your computer is
    just not destined to have an easy time :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  4. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > As shown below, I installed linux - debian - xfce by installing xubuntu.
    > I heard that debian can be combined "by hand" with xfce.
    >
    > Questions:
    > - is there a handy, easy way to install xfce, other than a distribtion
    > like xubuntu or e.g. zenwalk?
    > - when I install debian by an iso from debian.org, can I add xfce
    > easy, keeping the benefit of a sort of small, clean, fast xfce
    > installation?

    Use the Synaptic Package Manager and search for xfce.

    You will be shown the files found (xfce4 for Debian 4.0).

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  5. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    xubunt6 :

    > - when I install debian by an iso from debian.org, can I add xfce easy,
    > keeping the benefit of a sort of small, clean, fast xfce installation?

    Sure. on install, de-select "Desktop Environment", then once it's in
    (after tuning /etc/apt/source.list):

    aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude install \
    xserver-xorg xfce4 apt-listbugs ...

    That's essentially what I have (though I prefer fluxbox).

  6. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:17:10 GMT
    "s. keeling" wrote:

    > That's essentially what I have (though I prefer fluxbox).

    Fluxbox? Isn't that like, 1 menu option to run XTerm then you have to
    type everything else in? :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  7. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 21:37:17 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:17:10 GMT
    > "s. keeling" wrote:
    >
    >> That's essentially what I have (though I prefer fluxbox).

    > Fluxbox? Isn't that like, 1 menu option to run XTerm then you have to
    > type everything else in? :-)

    It's that 'real computing' feeling people get, just as they do when
    they set up a .rc file, makes them feel like real programmers...

    --
    Chris Game

    "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
    initiative in creating the Internet." - Al Gore, March 9, 1999

  8. Re: debian - xfce - clean install

    Trevor Best :
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:17:10 GMT
    > "s. keeling" wrote:
    >
    > > That's essentially what I have (though I prefer fluxbox).

    > Fluxbox? Isn't that like, 1 menu option to run XTerm then you have to
    > type everything else in? :-)

    Not quite, but it is like 118 Mb RAM, never touching swap, while
    running OOo, FF, two emacs, slrn, xman, gaim, and gkrellm.