[media] Microwulf - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [media] Microwulf - Ubuntu ; o Microwulf = budget supercomputer Beowulf cluster o built for $2500 with off the shelf parts o around here you could build that system today 'better' for less o twice as fast as IBM's 1987 Deep Blue which was $5 ...

  1. [media] Microwulf

    o Microwulf = budget supercomputer Beowulf cluster
    o built for $2500 with off the shelf parts
    o around here you could build that system today 'better' for less
    o twice as fast as IBM's 1987 Deep Blue which was $5 million
    o 4 dualcore mobos clustered with 8 port gigabit switch
    o homebuilt stack, household current, 26 Gflops, $94/Gflop
    o running Ub 7.04 OS for the benchmarking

    http://www.calvin.edu/news/releases/.../microwulf.htm Student, prof
    build budget supercomputer
    http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/1/1/2 Microwulf:
    Breaking the $100/GFLOP Barrier

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: [media] Microwulf

    Mike Easter :

    > http://www.calvin.edu/news/releases/.../microwulf.htm Student, prof
    > build budget supercomputer
    > http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/1/1/2 Microwulf:
    > Breaking the $100/GFLOP Barrier

    Tres cool. Cut the length of those rods in half and it would be about
    a foot high, or just stack Sokris boxes one on top of each other and
    you could fit about eight of them in the same space. Seventy-five
    bucks worth of RAM, only two GB? I think I'd like to do better than
    that.

    I love the thing. I've no idea what I'd do with it, but I think I
    want one. :-) Deep Thought, here we come.

  3. Re: [media] Microwulf

    s. keeling wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> http://www.calvin.edu/news/releases/.../microwulf.htm Student,
    >> prof build budget supercomputer
    >> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/1/1/2 Microwulf:
    >> Breaking the $100/GFLOP Barrier

    > Tres cool. Cut the length of those rods in half and it would be about
    > a foot high,

    I wondered if they needed the space for cooling. An open stack isn't
    actually as well cooled as a properly designed and ventilated/cooled
    closed box. Part of the idea was simplicity and low cost; if you have
    to design a closed system with an airflow that is better than open, the
    project changes a lot. It is also very efficient in terms of total
    wattage -- so adding more fans or complexity would adversely affect
    that.

    > or just stack Sokris boxes one on top of each other and
    > you could fit about eight of them in the same space.

    If you are talking about Soekris mobos, they don't have the horsepower
    or FSB as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2 CPU

    > Seventy-five
    > bucks worth of RAM, only two GB? I think I'd like to do better than
    > that.

    Exactly. That's why ISTM itseemstome it could be done better and
    cheaper at today's prices. Use 4 quad core mobos and more ram, or even
    the same dual cores rig with twice as much ram. They address that ram
    issue at the clustermonkey last page.

    > I love the thing. I've no idea what I'd do with it, but I think I
    > want one. :-) Deep Thought, here we come.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread