Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM - Ubuntu ; Hello I'm working with Ubuntu Linux for about 10 months (starting with Edgy soon after it's release) an am realy content with it. After some good experience on my desktop I was sure that Ubuntu was the thing I want ...

  1. Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM

    Hello

    I'm working with Ubuntu Linux for about 10 months (starting with Edgy
    soon after it's release) an am realy content with it. After some good
    experience on my desktop I was sure that Ubuntu was the thing I want on
    my notebook.

    Nearly everything ran out-of-the-box but I do have some troubles with
    Suspending. I didn't get Suspend 2 Disk working, it always fails to
    recover the old session when booting up and there is a problem with
    screensavers and every suspend being done from within GDM as it seems to
    turn of the background light of my display and is unable to turn it on
    again.

    Most annoying however is the Problem with Suspend to RAM I even get when
    suspending from another virtual console without gdm running on it
    (switching via CTRL+ALT+F1) an doing a

    echo mem > /sys/power/state

    as root (sudoing an script I created for this) I can suspend Ubuntu most
    of the time, but everytime I have thunderbird running it would fail.
    Retrying after it ad failed once produces a hang-up.

    I am open for any suggestions about all of this problems but I most
    urgently want a solution for suspend to ram as this is the feature I
    need most.

    This is a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m

    Ubuntu 7.04 i386(32bit)

    Intel C2D T7200
    1 GB RAM
    ATI Mobile x1400 with fglrx Driver 8.36.5

    /dev/sda3 SWAP
    /dev/sda5 /
    /dev/sda6 /home/

    I hope this is enough information, if not, you can ask me.

    Christoph

  2. Re: Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM

    Christoph Egger wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I'm working with Ubuntu Linux for about 10 months (starting with Edgy
    > soon after it's release) an am realy content with it. After some good
    > experience on my desktop I was sure that Ubuntu was the thing I want on
    > my notebook.
    >
    > Nearly everything ran out-of-the-box but I do have some troubles with
    > Suspending. I didn't get Suspend 2 Disk working, it always fails to
    > recover the old session when booting up and there is a problem with
    > screensavers and every suspend being done from within GDM as it seems to
    > turn of the background light of my display and is unable to turn it on
    > again.
    >
    > Most annoying however is the Problem with Suspend to RAM I even get when
    > suspending from another virtual console without gdm running on it
    > (switching via CTRL+ALT+F1) an doing a
    >
    > echo mem > /sys/power/state
    >
    > as root (sudoing an script I created for this) I can suspend Ubuntu most
    > of the time, but everytime I have thunderbird running it would fail.
    > Retrying after it ad failed once produces a hang-up.
    >
    > I am open for any suggestions about all of this problems but I most
    > urgently want a solution for suspend to ram as this is the feature I
    > need most.
    >
    > This is a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m
    >
    > Ubuntu 7.04 i386(32bit)
    >
    > Intel C2D T7200
    > 1 GB RAM
    > ATI Mobile x1400 with fglrx Driver 8.36.5
    >
    > /dev/sda3 SWAP
    > /dev/sda5 /
    > /dev/sda6 /home/
    >
    > I hope this is enough information, if not, you can ask me.
    >
    > Christoph

    Have you checked out this bug report that looks to possibly offer some kind
    of solution?

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM

    NoStop schrieb:

    > Have you checked out this bug report that looks to possibly offer some kind
    > of solution?
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/119244
    >
    > Cheers.

    Hi

    I know this bug and I fixed it somehow so I didn't get a blank black
    screen but when doing suspend to ram from gdm the screen is darkened
    down enough to be unuseable. Restarting X does solve this (maybe
    restarting gdm is enough, I didn't try) but when having to restart gdm
    there is really no reason to suspend at all.

    I must admit that I'm quite comfortable with using tty1 to suspend (the
    only thing against this is the fact, that it may prevent my friends
    seeing this from using Linux ).

    What I'm really serious about is the fact that I'm unable to suspend
    while thunderbird is running. (I was quite sure that PSI causes this,
    too, but I was able to suspend correctly with PSI run ning this evening)

    It is quite hard to describe this in more detail. When suspending the
    first time with Thunderbird running, the moon-symbol begins to blink and
    the notebook is doing some steps towards being suspended, but after some
    time it comes back without it (tee reportet an input/output error back
    when I used a echo mem | sudo tee /sys/power/state before I got the Idea
    with using an shell script as sudo echo mem > /sys/power/state did not
    work) when suspending the second time it freezes with the moon-symbol
    still blinking. (Suspended correktly the moon should glow continuosly)

    If this is unclear, the moon-Symbol I'm speaking of is part of some
    state-LEDs on the notebook-case.

    Christoph

  4. Re: Thunderbird prevents Suspend2RAM

    Christoph Egger schrieb:
    > Hi
    >
    > I know this bug and I fixed it somehow so I didn't get a blank black
    > screen but when doing suspend to ram from gdm the screen is darkened
    > down enough to be unuseable. Restarting X does solve this (maybe
    > restarting gdm is enough, I didn't try) but when having to restart gdm
    > there is really no reason to suspend at all.
    >
    > I must admit that I'm quite comfortable with using tty1 to suspend (the
    > only thing against this is the fact, that it may prevent my friends
    > seeing this from using Linux ).
    >
    > What I'm really serious about is the fact that I'm unable to suspend
    > while thunderbird is running. (I was quite sure that PSI causes this,
    > too, but I was able to suspend correctly with PSI run ning this evening)
    >
    > It is quite hard to describe this in more detail. When suspending the
    > first time with Thunderbird running, the moon-symbol begins to blink and
    > the notebook is doing some steps towards being suspended, but after some
    > time it comes back without it (tee reportet an input/output error back
    > when I used a echo mem | sudo tee /sys/power/state before I got the Idea
    > with using an shell script as sudo echo mem > /sys/power/state did not
    > work) when suspending the second time it freezes with the moon-symbol
    > still blinking. (Suspended correktly the moon should glow continuosly)
    >
    > If this is unclear, the moon-Symbol I'm speaking of is part of some
    > state-LEDs on the notebook-case.
    >
    > Christoph

    Ein Nachrag: Ich bin mir relativ sicher, dass das Problem beim 2.
    Suspend Versuch durch eine nicht sauber geunmountete NTFS-Prtition
    verursacht wird (ntfs-3g - fuse), da mir das auch passiert ist, als ich
    das parallel installierte Vista "Hard resetten" musste und die
    NTFS_Partitionen aufgrund des nicht sauberen Journals nicht schreibend
    gemountet wurden.

    Christoph

+ Reply to Thread