Net Nanny - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Net Nanny - Ubuntu ; Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux? I have 2 kids that currently use an XP box. I am slowly working Windows out of the house, but I want the machine somewhat ...

  1. Net Nanny

    Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    I have 2 kids that currently use an XP box. I am slowly working Windows
    out of the house, but I want the machine somewhat protected, considering
    that I am not always there when they use the computer.

    I did a cursory google search, but can't find anything. So, I thought
    I'd ask here. If there is something good, it would eradicate another XP
    piece of crap from my house. ;-)

    Currently, they use Blue Coat K9 Web Protection, and it works well.
    Very little configuration needed, keeps reports of all sites visited,
    halts the connection if there are repeated attempts to go to disallowed
    sites, etc. It'd be great if there were something like that out
    there...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  2. Re: Net Nanny

    Joe LaVigne writes:

    > Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    > worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    Joe,

    Did you look at the features of edubuntu?

    http://www.edubuntu.org/Community

    I have no experience of "yet another distro" ('m not great fan of
    Distro dilution as you may know), but certain of its features are
    probably an apt-egt away in Ubuntu.

    --
    Excitement and danger await your induction to tracer duty! As a tracer,
    you must rid the computer networks of slimy, criminal data thieves.

  3. Re: Net Nanny

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:08:13 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne writes:
    >
    > > Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    > > worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    > Joe,
    >
    > Did you look at the features of edubuntu?
    >
    > http://www.edubuntu.org/Community
    >
    > I have no experience of "yet another distro" ('m not great fan of
    > Distro dilution as you may know), but certain of its features are
    > probably an apt-egt away in Ubuntu.

    Nope. My hopes are that someone will actually know which package does
    this, and be able to give me the name, saving the all important time
    factor... ;-)

    Of course, if noone answers by tonight, I'll look at it. Never really
    thought to check edubuntu. Thanks for the suggestion...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: Net Nanny

    Joe LaVigne wrote:

    > Nope. *My hopes are that someone will actually know which package does
    > this, and be able to give me the name, saving the all important time
    > factor... * ;-)

    Dansguardian?

    --
    David Aldred

  5. Re: Net Nanny

    On 2007-08-31, Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    > worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    I haven't used it,but I beleive what you want is some sort of squid +
    filtering proxy setup. One package I have heard of is called
    dansguardian, so you could give that a try. I suppose you could run
    it right on the kids' computer(s), but a more secure setup would be to
    run it on the router.

    good luck,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

  6. Re: Net Nanny

    On 2007-08-31, Joe LaVigne blabbered on and on about Re: Net Nanny in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:08:13 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe LaVigne writes:
    >>
    >> > Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    >> > worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    >> Joe,
    >>
    >> Did you look at the features of edubuntu?
    >>
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/Community
    >>
    >> I have no experience of "yet another distro" ('m not great fan of
    >> Distro dilution as you may know), but certain of its features are
    >> probably an apt-egt away in Ubuntu.
    >>

    > Nope. My hopes are that someone will actually know which package does
    > this, and be able to give me the name, saving the all important time
    > factor... ;-)
    >
    > Of course, if noone answers by tonight, I'll look at it. Never really
    > thought to check edubuntu. Thanks for the suggestion...

    http://www.spectorsoft.com/

    From the following thread:

    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

    You can use "Ubuntu CE" as a web proxy. I believe it not only blocks
    lewd sites, but also logs web activity. This will however require the
    use of a seperate computer. Make sure that is "Ubuntu CE" not just
    regular "Ubuntu".

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  7. Re: Net Nanny

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:51:09 +0000 (UTC)
    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > http://www.spectorsoft.com/
    >
    > From the following thread:
    >
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
    >
    > You can use "Ubuntu CE" as a web proxy. I believe it not only blocks
    > lewd sites, but also logs web activity. This will however require the
    > use of a seperate computer. Make sure that is "Ubuntu CE" not just
    > regular "Ubuntu".

    Thanks... I think I'll check out the other options first, though...
    I am looking for free (perpetual cheapskate ;-) ) and I don't like the
    idea of perpetuating any religious distributions... Trying to bring
    the kids up to be healthy, happy atheists, and the Christian Edition
    just doesn't meet the criteria... ;-)

    Dansguardian may just be the thing. If not, Edubuntu will likely do the
    trick...

    I appreciate the suggestions, though. If Dansguardian doesn't do what I
    need, spector likely will...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: Net Nanny

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:56:44 GMT
    David Aldred wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >
    > > Nope. *My hopes are that someone will actually know which package
    > > does this, and be able to give me the name, saving the all important
    > > time factor... * ;-)

    > Dansguardian?

    I'm going to take some time tonight and read through the text for this
    one. Looks like just the app I was looking for. Thanks!

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: Net Nanny

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:21:43 GMT
    "Kevin T. Neely" wrote:

    > On 2007-08-31, Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > > Any suggestions for the best Net-Nanny packages (if there are any
    > > worthwhile) for (Ubuntu) Linux?

    > I haven't used it,but I beleive what you want is some sort of squid +
    > filtering proxy setup. One package I have heard of is called
    > dansguardian, so you could give that a try. I suppose you could run
    > it right on the kids' computer(s), but a more secure setup would be to
    > run it on the router.

    The router is a Linksys. But I can always create a proxy server on my
    VMWare ESX server and install Dansguardian there, then block the kids'
    PC from accessing the router directly, to force them through the
    proxy...

    The kids are very well behaved on the computer. They are not really the
    type to go to bad places on their own, but with some of the popups and
    ads that come up, not to mention crap e-mails, you can never be too
    careful...

    Thanks for all the help, eveyone!

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: Net Nanny

    Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > I don't like the
    > idea of perpetuating any religious distributions... Trying to bring
    > the kids up to be healthy, happy atheists, and the Christian Edition
    > just doesn't meet the criteria... ;-)

    Don't be so judgmental. The Ubuntu CE is just Ubuntu with some added
    features, primarily Dansguardian. A toolbar called
    WhatwouldJesudDownload, some bible study programs. That's it. If you'd
    rather do this on your own with Ubuntu and dansguardian, go for it. The
    CE distribution just sets it all up for you.

    From the Ubuntu CE website:
    Ubuntu Christian Edition also includes fully integrated web content
    parental controls powered by Dansguardian. A graphical tool to adjust
    the parental control settings has also been developed specifically for
    Ubuntu Christian Edition. These features are truly what sets Ubuntu
    Christian Edition apart.

    We have also locked down the proxy settings to make the filtering that
    much more difficult to bypass. However, there is no substitute for the
    watchful eye of a parent. No filtering system is perfect and many of our
    children have the technical ability to circumvent our attempts to
    protect them from the bad side of the internet. We have prepared a few
    tips to help you better protect your family.

    * Create seperate user accounts for each child. They should never have
    root access.
    * Do not set your CDROM to boot. This will allow a child to use another
    LiveCD to go around the filter.
    * Set a BIOS password.

    # Dansguardian Web Content Parental Controls with graphical interface

    * Can be used as a network proxy/filtering server by setting the other
    systems proxy settings to the IP address of the Ubuntu CE system and
    port 8080.
    * Firefox proxy settings are locked down to keep users from bypassing
    the filtering.
    * Access denied log viewable as text based and html based.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: Net Nanny

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 02:31:25 GMT
    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > > I don't like the
    > > idea of perpetuating any religious distributions... Trying to
    > > bring the kids up to be healthy, happy atheists, and the Christian
    > > Edition just doesn't meet the criteria... ;-)

    > Don't be so judgmental. The Ubuntu CE is just Ubuntu with some added
    > features, primarily Dansguardian. A toolbar called
    > WhatwouldJesudDownload, some bible study programs. That's it. If you'd
    >
    > rather do this on your own with Ubuntu and dansguardian, go for it.
    > The CE distribution just sets it all up for you.

    Doing it myself is not a problem. Having the right package was the only
    stumbling block. I'll install Dansguardian with Squid on a dedicated
    Ubuntu Server, and lock down the PC. Don't have a need, or an interest,
    in WWJD or Bible Study programs.

    My life is Network Administration (sad as that may sound). I just don't
    have the interest in spending the big bucks on a Cisco content filter at
    home, so I needed help in finding the best tools for the job. My thanks
    to you, and everyone else, that helped...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  12. Re: Net Nanny

    Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > Thanks... I think I'll check out the other options first, though...
    > I am looking for free (perpetual cheapskate ;-) ) and I don't like the
    > idea of perpetuating any religious distributions... Trying to bring
    > the kids up to be healthy, happy atheists, and the Christian Edition
    > just doesn't meet the criteria... ;-)

    Well, if you are looking for a "NetNanny" then you obviously have
    _something_ in common with those Christians. So why not accept
    their "free" gift and modify it to suit yourself?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    People would have more leisure time if it weren't
    for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
    -- Peg Bracken

  13. Re: Net Nanny

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 02:46:13 GMT
    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > > Thanks... I think I'll check out the other options first,
    > > though... I am looking for free (perpetual cheapskate ;-) ) and I
    > > don't like the idea of perpetuating any religious distributions...
    > > Trying to bring the kids up to be healthy, happy atheists, and the
    > > Christian Edition just doesn't meet the criteria... ;-)

    > Well, if you are looking for a "NetNanny" then you obviously have
    > _something_ in common with those Christians. So why not accept
    > their "free" gift and modify it to suit yourself?

    I have many things in common with Christians. I breathe air, eat food,
    drink water.

    I do not believe in God, nor do I think that Jesus died for my sins.
    And I do not hold their disdain for much of the content out on the web,
    though I do believe that much of that stuff is best left to mature
    adults.

    I can skip their free gift, and use the same software without the silly
    additional software installed. It is free, and rather easy to install,
    now that I know the name. Hell, I even have a spare Ubuntu server VM
    already running on the ESX box. Just need to install the 2 apps, make a
    firewall change, and we're loaded for bear...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X