Re: Ubuntu won't let computer shut down - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Ubuntu won't let computer shut down - Ubuntu ; "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message news:8BuBi.4541$Pd4.3924@edtnps82... > Nero wrote: >> Why is it, when I shut down Ubuntu, the screen finally goes blank but the >> computer is still ON? I literally have to pull the power cord from ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu won't let computer shut down

    "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message
    > Nero wrote:
    >> Why is it, when I shut down Ubuntu, the screen finally goes blank but the
    >> computer is still ON? I literally have to pull the power cord from the
    >> power supply to shut off the computer. Is this fixable without having to
    >> re-install?

    > Try adding:
    > apm power_off=1
    > to the file, /etc/modules

    ----------------snip------------------------------

    Thanks to all who tried to help me with this issue. I went ahead and
    installed the 64bit version of Ubontu and I ended up with the same problem:
    the computer wouldn't shut down which told me that the problem is with
    Ubintu software and not my hardware. Just for the hell of it, I installed
    XP and everything worked fine. I'll let you guys make your own conclusion.
    As far as I am concerned, I concluded that Ubuntu is not yet ready for prime
    time. Sorry, fellas, that's the way it is

    One more thing in case there are Ubintu reps reading this group: I tried to
    install the OS on a dual Opteron S2885 Tyan motherboard with 2 gigs of ram.
    XP runs fine with this configuration, as far as Vista, I won't buy it.

  2. Re: Ubuntu won't let computer shut down

    Nero wrote:

    > "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message
    >> Nero wrote:
    >>> Why is it, when I shut down Ubuntu, the screen finally goes blank but
    >>> the computer is still ON? I literally have to pull the power cord from
    >>> the power supply to shut off the computer. Is this fixable without
    >>> having to re-install?

    >> Try adding:
    >> apm power_off=1
    >> to the file, /etc/modules

    > ----------------snip------------------------------
    >
    > Thanks to all who tried to help me with this issue. I went ahead and
    > installed the 64bit version of Ubontu and I ended up with the same
    > problem: the computer wouldn't shut down which told me that the problem is
    > with
    > Ubintu software and not my hardware. Just for the hell of it, I installed
    > XP and everything worked fine. I'll let you guys make your own conclusion.
    > As far as I am concerned, I concluded that Ubuntu is not yet ready for
    > prime time. Sorry, fellas, that's the way it is
    >
    > One more thing in case there are Ubintu reps reading this group: I tried
    > to install the OS on a dual Opteron S2885 Tyan motherboard with 2 gigs of
    > ram. XP runs fine with this configuration, as far as Vista, I won't buy
    > it.

    Good. windows.advocacy is over there --->

    Get lost
    --
    Microsoft's Product Strategy: "It compiles, let's ship it!"

  3. Re: Ubuntu won't let computer shut down

    It was on, or about, Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:35:51 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Nero wrote:

    Another idiot windoze troll, & a poor one at that.

    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary
+ Reply to Thread