problem with gnome/nautilus and umount - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on problem with gnome/nautilus and umount - Ubuntu ; I bet this is something so obvious: I have tried to umount from the nautilus GUI after both (a) auto mounting and (b) manually mounting from both command line and the GUI, but whenever I try to unmount from Nautilus ...

  1. problem with gnome/nautilus and umount

    I bet this is something so obvious:

    I have tried to umount from the nautilus GUI after both (a) auto
    mounting and (b) manually mounting from both command line and the GUI,
    but whenever I try to unmount from Nautilus (right click on mount and
    select unmount) I get the error shown in the image below.

    http://www.screenshots.cc/view_image...1/oocrash3.jpg

    I can umount from the command line just fine.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: problem with gnome/nautilus and umount

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:16:06 +0200 Hadron
    wrote:

    > I bet this is something so obvious:

    > I have tried to umount from the nautilus GUI after both (a) auto
    > mounting and (b) manually mounting from both command line and the GUI,
    > but whenever I try to unmount from Nautilus (right click on mount and
    > select unmount) I get the error shown in the image below.

    > http://www.screenshots.cc/view_image...1/oocrash3.jpg

    > I can umount from the command line just fine.

    > Any ideas?

    Three possibilities, with the first two being unlikely and the third
    being most likely:

    1) Have you gone into the right-click properties of the drive in
    Nautilus? Konqueror has many options (as well as advanced options) in
    its property tab for a drive. Perhaps a setting is off.

    2) When you unmount from the command line, do you have to use sudo to
    do it? Granted, your error doesn't have to do with that, but you never
    know.

    3) Konqueror comes by default with a number of preloaded instances of
    itself which are loaded invisibly in the background. This is user
    definable and can be set to zero instances. If Nautilus is preloading
    invisible instances of itself, it's possible that you can't unmount
    using it since it has the drive mounted in the other invisible
    instances.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.