Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:09:37 -0400, George Peatty wrote: > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:21:52 +0000 (UTC), andrew > wrote: > >>As an old Agent user I would definitely agree that Pan is a great >>newsreader but _personally_ ...

  1. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:09:37 -0400, George Peatty wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:21:52 +0000 (UTC), andrew
    > wrote:
    >
    >>As an old Agent user I would definitely agree that Pan is a great
    >>newsreader but _personally_ I feel that slrn is in a different league
    >>to all of these programs. (Pauses to don asbestos suit.)

    > No need for asbestos. I've used slrn, and liked it. At this point, I'm
    > just too comfortable with GUI to use something so retro as text-mode slrn ..

    For reading text groups nothing beats slrn. Press the "n" key or space
    bar, no having to grab the rodent, click scroll, move rodent to the next
    message, lather rinse repeat. Then again that is what choice is about,
    what ever works for you is what is best for you.

    Cheers,
    Goph
    (slrn user since 2003)

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com

  2. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On 2007-08-31, Gopher wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:09:37 -0400, George Peatty wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:21:52 +0000 (UTC), andrew
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As an old Agent user I would definitely agree that Pan is a great
    >>>newsreader but _personally_ I feel that slrn is in a different league
    >>>to all of these programs. (Pauses to don asbestos suit.)

    >> No need for asbestos. I've used slrn, and liked it. At this point, I'm
    >> just too comfortable with GUI to use something so retro as text-mode slrn ..

    > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn. Press the "n" key or space
    > bar, no having to grab the rodent, click scroll, move rodent to the next
    > message, lather rinse repeat. Then again that is what choice is about,
    > what ever works for you is what is best for you.

    But, if you want to use the mouse with slrn, you can. If I happen
    to come to my slrn screen and have my hand on the mouse, I don't
    have to reach for the keyboard -- and vice versa.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  3. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    Gopher wrote:
    > George Peatty wrote:
    >> andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> As an old Agent user I would definitely agree that Pan is a great
    >>> newsreader but _personally_ I feel that slrn is in a different
    >>> league to all of these programs. (Pauses to don asbestos suit.)

    >> No need for asbestos. I've used slrn, and liked it. At this
    >> point, I'm just too comfortable with GUI to use something so retro
    >> as text-mode slrn ..

    > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn. Press the "n" key or
    > space bar, no having to grab the rodent, click scroll, move rodent
    > to the next message, lather rinse repeat. Then again that is what
    > choice is about, what ever works for you is what is best for you.

    In other words, just like Netscape 4.7, or Thunderbird, have always
    done. What's the problem?

  4. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:44:13 GMT, Gopher wrote:

    > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    Yeah, two hundred users can't be wrong, eh?

    --
    Chris Game

    "When the winds of change blow, some people build walls, others
    build windmills" -- Brian Maynes

  5. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    * Chris Game wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:44:13 GMT, Gopher wrote:
    >
    >> For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    > Yeah, two hundred users can't be wrong, eh?

    2 out of 10

    Very poor troll.

    --
    David

  6. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:21:18 +0100
    Chris Game wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:44:13 GMT, Gopher wrote:
    >
    > > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    > Yeah, two hundred users can't be wrong, eh?

    LOL!

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  7. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On 2007-08-31, Chris Game wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:44:13 GMT, Gopher wrote:
    >
    >> For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    > Yeah, two hundred users can't be wrong, eh?

    There are at least two hundred and _one_ at last count :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  8. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    Gopher wrote:

    > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    Except Gnus of course. ;-)

    Florian

  9. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:02:14 +0200
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Gopher wrote:
    >

    > > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    > Except Gnus of course. ;-)

    Talking parrots, singing whales, now Gnus that can read? whatever next?

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  10. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:02:14 +0200
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Gopher wrote:
    >>

    >> > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    >> Except Gnus of course. ;-)

    > Talking parrots, singing whales, now Gnus that can read? whatever
    > next?

    I think you forgot to remove your x-face & face test headers :-;

    --
    Might not be suitable for persons suffering from weak hearts.

  11. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:19:56 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > I think you forgot to remove your x-face & face test headers :-;

    I didn't forget ;-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  12. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:02:14 +0200
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Gopher wrote:
    >>

    >> > For reading text groups nothing beats slrn.

    >> Except Gnus of course. ;-)

    > Talking parrots, singing whales, now Gnus that can read? whatever next?

    It's amazing! I'm quite sure one day they'll find intelligent life on
    earth!

    Florian

  13. Re: Thunderbird vs. Evolution

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 23:34:10 +0200
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:02:14 +0200
    > > Florian Diesch wrote:

    > >> Except Gnus of course. ;-)

    > > Talking parrots, singing whales, now Gnus that can read? whatever next?

    > It's amazing! I'm quite sure one day they'll find intelligent life on
    > earth!

    Not if they look in Usenet :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

+ Reply to Thread