Re: dead keyboard keys, like: ' ` ^ above e,o etc. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: dead keyboard keys, like: ' ` ^ above e,o etc. - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:29:44 +0000, NoStop wrote: > xubunt6 wrote: > >> NoStop wrote: >>> xubunt6 wrote: >>> >>>> Hello, >>>> >>>> Under winxp you can select the keyboard: US-International to "get" >>>> accents on characters, by typing ...

  1. Re: dead keyboard keys, like: ' ` ^ above e,o etc.

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:29:44 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Don't know about KDE but with Gnome desktop, I can get them by using the
    >>> Right ALT key.
    >>>
    >>> Right ALT ... ' ... e (hitting each key separartely) produces é
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, but: + ` + e or so activates (in mousepad and abiword) the
    >> menubar ...
    >>

    > OK, I had a typo above. The word should have been separately. In other
    > words, not your typical + which is a combination of the keys. This doesn't
    > work for you?

    In what program or shell does this work for you? Does not work in Konsole
    for me. Unless I misunderstand your instructions, ... tried several
    combinations ...

    é ü ÿ, and many others are available in GUI Ubuntu 704 with Character Map
    under the 'Latin script choice, Gucharmap 1.10.0. But I would also like to
    enter some non-standard English characters from the keyboard, if you would
    please kindly advise and inform. Thank you.

  2. Re: dead keyboard keys, like: ' ` ^ above e,o etc.

    None wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:29:44 +0000, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> xubunt6 wrote:

    >>> Thanks, but: + ` + e or so activates (in mousepad and abiword) the
    >>> menubar ...
    >>>

    >> OK, I had a typo above. The word should have been separately. In other
    >> words, not your typical + which is a combination of the keys. This doesn't
    >> work for you?

    > In what program or shell does this work for you? Does not work in Konsole
    > for me. Unless I misunderstand your instructions, ... tried several
    > combinations ...
    >
    > é ü ÿ, and many others are available in GUI Ubuntu 704 with Character Map
    > under the 'Latin script choice, Gucharmap 1.10.0. But I would also like to
    > enter some non-standard English characters from the keyboard, if you would
    > please kindly advise and inform. Thank you.

    Thanks all.
    Found something on internet, after quite a search:

    To change keyboard layout "us" to "us international"
    Run in shell: setxkbmap us -variant alt-intl
    Run in shell to change back: setxkbmap us -variant ""

    Works for me ...

    you can change / add it in \x11\xorg.conf too, I suppose ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

+ Reply to Thread