Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04 - Ubuntu ; Hi all, is anybody playing guild wars under ubuntu ? if so how did they install it ? and does it run OK?, that's the only thing what's keeping me from using M$ 100% if i can get guild wars ...

  1. Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Hi all, is anybody playing guild wars under ubuntu ? if so how did they
    install it ? and does it run OK?, that's the only thing what's keeping
    me from using M$ 100% if i can get guild wars running good under ubuntu
    i'll scrap m$ proper, when i installed it using wine & crossover office
    it opened up and downloaded the updates but then i got a black screen
    and froze the box saying something about directx do i need to keep m$
    on me other hardrive or can guild wars be played under ubuntu or kubuntu
    thx

  2. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Dj Toonz, on 08/30/2007 10:16 PM said:
    > Hi all, is anybody playing guild wars under ubuntu ? if so how did they
    > install it ? and does it run OK?, that's the only thing what's keeping
    > me from using M$ 100% if i can get guild wars running good under ubuntu
    > i'll scrap m$ proper, when i installed it using wine & crossover office
    > it opened up and downloaded the updates but then i got a black screen
    > and froze the box saying something about directx do i need to keep m$
    > on me other hardrive or can guild wars be played under ubuntu or kubuntu
    > thx

    Yep! I play Guild Wars on Ubuntu.

    I haven't been able to get it to run under Wine just yet, though; it
    seems to have some problems with processing the sound and other misc.
    DirectX things. However, it does work with Cedega, which is $55 per
    year. Personally, I hope that Wine will get Guild Wars running before I
    pay my renewal to TransGaming, but if not that's alright; I don't mind
    for the time being.

    One thing that I have noticed about GW under Cedega, though; it tends to
    run somewhat slowly (read: about 75%-80% of the speed of Windows) on a
    uniprocessor system. However, on a dual-core system, it runs far better
    for me than under even Windows XP.

    What are your system specs?

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty! http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  3. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Michael Trausch wrote:
    > Dj Toonz, on 08/30/2007 10:16 PM said:
    >> Hi all, is anybody playing guild wars under ubuntu ? if so how did they
    >> install it ? and does it run OK?, that's the only thing what's keeping
    >> me from using M$ 100% if i can get guild wars running good under ubuntu
    >> i'll scrap m$ proper, when i installed it using wine & crossover office
    >> it opened up and downloaded the updates but then i got a black screen
    >> and froze the box saying something about directx do i need to keep m$
    >> on me other hardrive or can guild wars be played under ubuntu or kubuntu
    >> thx

    > Yep! I play Guild Wars on Ubuntu.
    >
    > I haven't been able to get it to run under Wine just yet, though; it
    > seems to have some problems with processing the sound and other misc.
    > DirectX things. However, it does work with Cedega, which is $55 per
    > year. Personally, I hope that Wine will get Guild Wars running before I
    > pay my renewal to TransGaming, but if not that's alright; I don't mind
    > for the time being.
    >
    > One thing that I have noticed about GW under Cedega, though; it tends to
    > run somewhat slowly (read: about 75%-80% of the speed of Windows) on a
    > uniprocessor system. However, on a dual-core system, it runs far better
    > for me than under even Windows XP.
    >
    > What are your system specs?
    >
    > -- Mike

    Thx mike i've got a amd fx62 cpu, with 4gig of ddr 800 ram,2x750gig sata
    2's & 2x8800's gt's in sli dual booting with vista & feisty, guild wars
    is the only thing what's stopping me from using ubuntu fully, if it
    wasnt for that i'd be using it 100%, what's the frame rate like under
    ubuntu? would it be worth installing under ubuntu? or would i be better
    sticking to playing under m$

  4. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Dj Toonz wrote:
    > Michael Trausch wrote:
    >> Dj Toonz, on 08/30/2007 10:16 PM said:
    >>> Hi all, is anybody playing guild wars under ubuntu ? if so how did they
    >>> install it ? and does it run OK?, that's the only thing what's keeping
    >>> me from using M$ 100% if i can get guild wars running good under ubuntu
    >>> i'll scrap m$ proper, when i installed it using wine & crossover office
    >>> it opened up and downloaded the updates but then i got a black screen
    >>> and froze the box saying something about directx do i need to keep m$
    >>> on me other hardrive or can guild wars be played under ubuntu or kubuntu
    >>> thx

    >> Yep! I play Guild Wars on Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to get it to run under Wine just yet, though; it
    >> seems to have some problems with processing the sound and other misc.
    >> DirectX things. However, it does work with Cedega, which is $55 per
    >> year. Personally, I hope that Wine will get Guild Wars running before I
    >> pay my renewal to TransGaming, but if not that's alright; I don't mind
    >> for the time being.
    >>
    >> One thing that I have noticed about GW under Cedega, though; it tends to
    >> run somewhat slowly (read: about 75%-80% of the speed of Windows) on a
    >> uniprocessor system. However, on a dual-core system, it runs far better
    >> for me than under even Windows XP.
    >>
    >> What are your system specs?
    >>
    >> -- Mike
    >>

    > Thx mike i've got a amd fx62 cpu, with 4gig of ddr 800 ram,2x750gig sata
    > 2's & 2x8800's gt's in sli dual booting with vista & feisty, guild wars
    > is the only thing what's stopping me from using ubuntu fully, if it
    > wasnt for that i'd be using it 100%, what's the frame rate like under
    > ubuntu? would it be worth installing under ubuntu? or would i be better
    > sticking to playing under m$

    4got to mention just installed bioshock on this spec and it run's like
    the mutts nutts full screen on 1600x1200 so i can play games @ full
    speed, the video driver i'm running under ubuntu is the one i downloaded
    from automatix2 installer, think it's the latest verstion and the kernel
    is .16 at the end not sure about the first part as i dont bother about
    what goes on behind the scenes

  5. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Dj Toonz writes:

    > Dj Toonz wrote:
    >> Michael Trausch wrote:
    >>> Yep! I play Guild Wars on Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to get it to run under Wine just yet, though; it
    >>> seems to have some problems with processing the sound and other misc.
    >>> DirectX things. However, it does work with Cedega, which is $55 per
    >>> year. Personally, I hope that Wine will get Guild Wars running before I
    >>> pay my renewal to TransGaming, but if not that's alright; I don't mind
    >>> for the time being.
    >>>
    >>> One thing that I have noticed about GW under Cedega, though; it tends to
    >>> run somewhat slowly (read: about 75%-80% of the speed of Windows) on a
    >>> uniprocessor system. However, on a dual-core system, it runs far better
    >>> for me than under even Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> What are your system specs?
    >>>
    >>> -- Mike
    >>>

    >> Thx mike i've got a amd fx62 cpu, with 4gig of ddr 800 ram,2x750gig sata
    >> 2's & 2x8800's gt's in sli dual booting with vista & feisty, guild wars
    >> is the only thing what's stopping me from using ubuntu fully, if it
    >> wasnt for that i'd be using it 100%, what's the frame rate like under
    >> ubuntu? would it be worth installing under ubuntu? or would i be better
    >> sticking to playing under m$

    > 4got to mention just installed bioshock on this spec and it run's like
    > the mutts nutts full screen on 1600x1200 so i can play games @ full
    > speed, the video driver i'm running under ubuntu is the one i downloaded
    > from automatix2 installer, think it's the latest verstion and the kernel
    > is .16 at the end not sure about the first part as i dont bother about
    > what goes on behind the scenes

    You are playing Bioshock on Ubuntu? Let CEDEGA now.

    http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858

    -- Rich Kulawiec

  6. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:46:33 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > You are playing Bioshock on Ubuntu? Let CEDEGA now.
    >
    > http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858

    Why? It's already been submitted, and is waiting for moderator
    approval...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Joe LaVigne writes:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:46:33 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> You are playing Bioshock on Ubuntu? Let CEDEGA now.
    >>
    >> http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858
    >>

    > Why? It's already been submitted, and is waiting for moderator
    > approval...

    Cool. I hadn't realised. Where do you see this? All I see is an empty
    page here:

    http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858

    If CEDEGA was provided in Ubuntu then XP really would be history. But
    paying them a license isn't for me - I pay top notch bucks for the games
    already and own an XP license so why bother.

    --
    Se o filme fosse ga├║cho...

    Perfume de Mulher -- Asa de Chinoca

  8. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:33 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne writes:
    >
    > > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:46:33 +0200
    > > Hadron wrote:
    > >
    > >> You are playing Bioshock on Ubuntu? Let CEDEGA now.
    > >>
    > >> http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858
    > >>

    > > Why? It's already been submitted, and is waiting for moderator
    > > approval...

    > Cool. I hadn't realised. Where do you see this? All I see is an empty
    > page here:
    >
    > http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858
    >
    > If CEDEGA was provided in Ubuntu then XP really would be history. But
    > paying them a license isn't for me - I pay top notch bucks for the
    > games already and own an XP license so why bother.

    From that page:
    "This game submission has not yet been approved."

    and:
    "You cannot rate this game until it
    has been approved by a moderator. "

    and:
    "Game Added: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:31:10 -0000"

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Joe LaVigne writes:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:33 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe LaVigne writes:

    >> > Why? It's already been submitted, and is waiting for moderator
    >> > approval...

    >> Cool. I hadn't realised. Where do you see this? All I see is an empty
    >> page here:
    >>
    >> http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858
    >>
    >> If CEDEGA was provided in Ubuntu then XP really would be history. But
    >> paying them a license isn't for me - I pay top notch bucks for the
    >> games already and own an XP license so why bother.
    >>

    > From that page:
    > "This game submission has not yet been approved."
    >
    > and:
    > "You cannot rate this game until it
    > has been approved by a moderator. "
    >
    > and:
    > "Game Added: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:31:10 -0000"

    So with all due respect, how was I or anyone else supposed to know that
    Bioshock works under CEDEGA from basically no information? Keeping in
    mind the placeholder it was created a week ago.

    I certainly didn't realise, as I suspect a lot wouldn't, that en empty
    record there was indicative of it working properly.

  10. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Dj Toonz, on 08/30/2007 11:10 PM said:

    > Thx mike i've got a amd fx62 cpu, with 4gig of ddr 800 ram,2x750gig
    > sata 2's & 2x8800's gt's in sli dual booting with vista & feisty,
    > guild wars is the only thing what's stopping me from using ubuntu
    > fully, if it wasnt for that i'd be using it 100%, what's the frame
    > rate like under ubuntu? would it be worth installing under ubuntu?
    > or would i be better sticking to playing under m$

    Well, I can tell you this: Ubuntu plays GW better than Vista does, with
    more speed and less crashing. If you can play GW on Vista, you have a
    far better computer than I do (well, looking at the specs would confirm
    that, too ;-).

    I don't know what the FPS is because I don't measure it. Next time I am
    in game, I will see. But I can tell you that sometimes you need to
    tweak the settings in the video configuration (F11 in GW). They don't
    have all of the DirectX effects just perfect yet in Cedega, but they
    largely work well.

    It's definitely worth it to me. It plays fast enough (AMD Athlon 64 X2
    3800+, 892MB RAM) for me.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty! http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  11. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:02:55 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > Joe LaVigne writes:
    >
    > > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:33 +0200
    > > Hadron wrote:

    > >> Cool. I hadn't realised. Where do you see this? All I see is an

    > >empty > page here:
    > >>
    > >> http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4858
    > >>
    > >> If CEDEGA was provided in Ubuntu then XP really would be history.

    > >But > paying them a license isn't for me - I pay top notch bucks for
    > >the > games already and own an XP license so why bother.
    > >>

    > > From that page:
    > > "This game submission has not yet been approved."
    > >
    > > and:
    > > "You cannot rate this game until it
    > > has been approved by a moderator. "
    > >
    > > and:
    > > "Game Added: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:31:10 -0000"

    > So with all due respect, how was I or anyone else supposed to know
    > that Bioshock works under CEDEGA from basically no information?
    > Keeping in mind the placeholder it was created a week ago.
    >
    > I certainly didn't realise, as I suspect a lot wouldn't, that en empty
    > record there was indicative of it working properly.

    I didn't say it was or wasn't working correctly.

    You suggested that the OP notify Cedega that he had it working. It has
    already been submitted by someone who has it working. It is now in the
    process of being tested and verified by the Moderators. That's how the
    site (generally) works. Unless the OP is a Moderator at Cedega, it is
    completely useless for him to notify them...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  12. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Joe LaVigne writes:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:02:55 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe LaVigne writes:

    >> >empty > page here:

    >> >But > paying them a license isn't for me - I pay top notch bucks for
    >> >the > games already and own an XP license so why bother.
    >> >>

    >> > From that page:
    >> > "This game submission has not yet been approved."
    >> >
    >> > and:
    >> > "You cannot rate this game until it
    >> > has been approved by a moderator. "
    >> >
    >> > and:
    >> > "Game Added: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:31:10 -0000"

    >> So with all due respect, how was I or anyone else supposed to know
    >> that Bioshock works under CEDEGA from basically no information?
    >> Keeping in mind the placeholder it was created a week ago.
    >>
    >> I certainly didn't realise, as I suspect a lot wouldn't, that en empty
    >> record there was indicative of it working properly.

    > I didn't say it was or wasn't working correctly.

    Which was my point. I didn't know if it was or it wasn't. Nothing I have
    seen there indicates it is. For all I know him letting them know might
    get and admin to do the necessary page updates.

    *shrug*

    I don't think we are arguing. Are we ? :-;

  13. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    Hadron wrote:
    > Joe LaVigne writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:02:55 +0200
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> So with all due respect, how was I or anyone else supposed to know
    >>> that Bioshock works under CEDEGA from basically no information?
    >>> Keeping in mind the placeholder it was created a week ago.
    >>>
    >>> I certainly didn't realise, as I suspect a lot wouldn't, that en empty
    >>> record there was indicative of it working properly.

    >> I didn't say it was or wasn't working correctly.

    > Which was my point. I didn't know if it was or it wasn't. Nothing I have
    > seen there indicates it is. For all I know him letting them know might
    > get and admin to do the necessary page updates.
    >
    > *shrug*
    >
    > I don't think we are arguing. Are we ? :-;

    Just a update , lol i wasnt on about the full version of bioshock was on
    about the demo of it, i've played under ubuntu using wine 0.92 as i play
    the full version under vista , i'll try it under ubuntu and let you all
    know what it's like to run with my system spec, but first i'm tying to
    get guild wars running @ the moment, main problem

  14. Re: Playing Guild wars under feisty 7.04

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:45:34 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > Which was my point. I didn't know if it was or it wasn't. Nothing I
    > have seen there indicates it is. For all I know him letting them know
    > might get and admin to do the necessary page updates.
    >
    > *shrug*
    >
    > I don't think we are arguing. Are we ? :-;

    Not really. My point is that they have a system in place, and they are
    following the system. It will be updated when the moderators are
    confident that it works, through their own testing. I'd imagine that if
    the game is that popular, there are already plenty of people pestering
    them to get it done... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."