[backups] Looking for some advice. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [backups] Looking for some advice. - Ubuntu ; As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on how to implement a backup strategy. I have tried Keep, but based on my reading, it will only function properly in KDE and I use Gnome ...

  1. [backups] Looking for some advice.

    As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on how to
    implement a backup strategy.

    I have tried Keep, but based on my reading, it will only function
    properly in KDE and I use Gnome so I cannot use it.

    I have tried SimpleBackup (all one word) and it worked fine for the
    first week, then it simply stopped. I don't see what the problem is.

    I would like to have a program that looks at the contents of a directory
    and
    a) If it's Monday at 2200, do a full backup
    b) If it's any other day, compare the contents of the directory today
    with the contents at the last backup point and if they are different, do
    a backup.

    I have heard about something called rdiff, but I am unfamiliar with it.
    Does anyone use an "out of the box" software solution which is easy to
    configure and can be schedulled via cron or some other means to do
    full backups once a week of multiple directories, and incrementals every
    other day?

    I could write a script to do this if I could figure out the algorithm.
    I think it would be a matter of storing the information about each
    directory backed up so that it can be compared with the next iteration.

    Does this sound correct? I have 5 directories that I need to be able to
    restore from backup if my system crashes or I use the rm command
    recklessly.

    Thanks

    PSK

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  2. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice...followup

    After I made this post, I did another google search and found a program
    called backup-manager. It *looks* like it may do the trick, although I
    am unsure as to wheter it does full backups every day, or only once a
    week and then incrementals other days. I will have to wait to see what
    it does. If anyone has any experience with this product, I would
    appreciate hearing from you via this forum.

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...backup_manager

    PSK

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

  3. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice...followup

    Pseudo Silk Kimono writes:

    > After I made this post, I did another google search and found a program
    > called backup-manager. It *looks* like it may do the trick, although I
    > am unsure as to wheter it does full backups every day, or only once a
    > week and then incrementals other days. I will have to wait to see what
    > it does. If anyone has any experience with this product, I would
    > appreciate hearing from you via this forum.
    >
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...backup_manager
    >
    > PSK

    I have a very simple "core" linux solution. There might be a lot of
    text to follow, but I hope it is informative.

    I have a directoy in my home dir called "config". This is a virtual
    "root" directory (e.g ~/config is the top of a copy of the / location
    used for storing certain files "relative to root").

    In that I have things like

    config/etc
    config/etc/news
    config/home/hadron

    etc

    Any config files I change in the Linux file system I link to its
    "mirror" in my config dir.

    More importantly (for me) I have also

    config/home/hadron

    in this are linked my important day to day files such as .emacs,
    ..gnus.el, .ssh files etc etc.

    Why?

    I use rsync for two reasons.

    1) back up my /home and
    2) to rsync certain directories and config files between development and
    laptop.

    On my laptop my .emacs is linked to the .emacs in the config
    directory. All "~/config" files are rsynced. So I dont have to bother
    with independant rsync clauses for each and every file I wish to share
    between the two machines.

    I "rsync" back and forth between the two machines. The rsync line of my
    "sync" script for the configs dir is:

    ,----
    | rsync -v --delete -u -a -r --exclude "*.csv" --stats --progress ~/configs hadron@other:/home/hadron/
    `----

    note :
    1) you can exclude certain files.
    2) "other" is in my /etc/hosts on both machines but pointing to the
    "other" machine. So same shell script for both.

    Config files which might be different between the machines are named
    accordingly and linked/copied back to their rightful names and locations

    e.g

    /etc/news/leafnode/config

    has two ~/config/etc/news/leafnode/ equivalents:

    dev-config & lap-config

    easy to see and replace after a system reinstall - although I never used
    this, I like to know the files are safe.

    But backing up the most important stuff? The home dir. How you work.

    Hard disk space is cheap. Why risk corrupt TAR files , slow tar files
    etc. I have a cheapo external USB drive and my backup strategy is this:

    ~/bin/bu:

    ,----
    | echo "Will RSYNC the /home partition to /media/seagate-ext3/backup"
    | sudo mount /media/seagate-ext3
    | sudo rsync -avz /home /media/seagate-ext3/backup
    | echo "Done!"
    `----

    It can take an age the first time.

    Next time you run it, it only transfers changed files and takes about 10
    seconds. The benefit is that you can move the copy to the top of the
    partition and "just" remount it as /home in case of failure. In addition
    it is easy to scan and copy from. Digging stuff out of a big TAR can be
    a PITA after a system failure.

    Clearly if you dont keep all your material here then you need to
    consider other directories too. But for me its simple and effective.

    Is all this more "complicated" than using some prepackaged backup tool?
    Yes. But it teaches you a lot and you don't scratch your head 6 months
    down the line wondering what the name of the back up tool was and how to
    use it with no GUI etc etc.

    Caveat - it works for me. I'm sure there are a million ways of doing
    this. But frankly, I find rsync to be one of the best tools I have ever
    used.

    -- Rich Kulawiec

  4. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    Pseudo Silk Kimono a écrit :
    > As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on how to
    > implement a backup strategy.
    >
    > I have tried Keep, but based on my reading, it will only function
    > properly in KDE and I use Gnome so I cannot use it.
    >
    > I have tried SimpleBackup (all one word) and it worked fine for the
    > first week, then it simply stopped. I don't see what the problem is.
    >
    > I would like to have a program that looks at the contents of a directory
    > and
    > a) If it's Monday at 2200, do a full backup
    > b) If it's any other day, compare the contents of the directory today
    > with the contents at the last backup point and if they are different, do
    > a backup.
    >
    > I have heard about something called rdiff, but I am unfamiliar with it.
    > Does anyone use an "out of the box" software solution which is easy to
    > configure and can be schedulled via cron or some other means to do
    > full backups once a week of multiple directories, and incrementals every
    > other day?
    >
    > I could write a script to do this if I could figure out the algorithm.
    > I think it would be a matter of storing the information about each
    > directory backed up so that it can be compared with the next iteration.
    >
    > Does this sound correct? I have 5 directories that I need to be able to
    > restore from backup if my system crashes or I use the rm command
    > recklessly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PSK

    I'm using rdiff-backup with an USB hard drive. I found this script. Each
    time I plug my backup disk, it's launched.

    http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/in...SBBackupScript

    Never tried to recover anything.

    Hope it can help you.

    RT

  5. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:48:14 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on
    > how to implement a backup strategy.

    Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?

    --
    Chris Game

    Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

  6. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:26:47 GMT, Chris Game expounded upon us in
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:48:14 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on
    >> how to implement a backup strategy.

    > Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?

    No, I just want to be able to backup my Feisty Fawn server to an
    external USB drive so that if something happens (read: I mess things
    up again) I have something in place so that I won't have to reload
    everything all the time. I was just thinking about doing a full
    backup everyday at 5:00am and deleting them after a week. My
    external drive should be able to handle a gzip for 4 directories.

  7. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:26:47 GMT, Chris Game expounded upon us in
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu :
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:48:14 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >>
    >>> As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on
    >>> how to implement a backup strategy.

    >> Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?
    >>

    > No, I just want to be able to backup my Feisty Fawn server to an
    > external USB drive so that if something happens (read: I mess things
    > up again) I have something in place so that I won't have to reload
    > everything all the time. I was just thinking about doing a full
    > backup everyday at 5:00am and deleting them after a week. My
    > external drive should be able to handle a gzip for 4 directories.

    Hi
    Have you looked at dump?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

  8. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On 2007-08-31, Malcolm blabbered on and on about Re: [backups] Looking for some advice. in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    > Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:26:47 GMT, Chris Game expounded upon us in
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    >>> Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?
    >>>

    >> No, I just want to be able to backup my Feisty Fawn server to an
    >> external USB drive so that if something happens (read: I mess things
    >> up again) I have something in place so that I won't have to reload
    >> everything all the time. I was just thinking about doing a full
    >> backup everyday at 5:00am and deleting them after a week. My
    >> external drive should be able to handle a gzip for 4 directories.

    > Hi
    > Have you looked at dump?

    No sir, I have not even heard of dump. And since GIMF, I should be able
    to find some reference to it online? Or perhaps in a repository
    somewhere?

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

  9. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On 2007-08-31, Malcolm blabbered on and on about Re: [backups] Looking for some advice. in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    > Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:26:47 GMT, Chris Game expounded upon us in
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    >>> Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?
    >>>

    >> No, I just want to be able to backup my Feisty Fawn server to an
    >> external USB drive so that if something happens (read: I mess things
    >> up again) I have something in place so that I won't have to reload
    >> everything all the time. I was just thinking about doing a full
    >> backup everyday at 5:00am and deleting them after a week. My
    >> external drive should be able to handle a gzip for 4 directories.

    > Hi
    > Have you looked at dump?

    I was able to locate the program in Synaptic by searching for "dump".
    According to the specs

    Dump examines files on a filesystem and determines which files need to
    be backed up. These files are copied to the given disk, tape or other
    storage medium for safe keeping.

    The restore command performs the inverse function of dump. A full
    backup of a file system may be restored and subsequent incremental backups layered
    on top of it. Single files and directory subtrees may be restored from
    full or partial backups.

    However, my filesystems are ext3. Will it still work with ext3 or is
    the restriction to ext2 tight?

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

  10. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    wrote:

    > I have tried SimpleBackup (all one word) and it worked fine for the
    > first week, then it simply stopped. I don't see what the problem is.

    Maybe the file got damaged somehow. Did you back up a working copy of
    it?

    > I would like to have a program that looks at the contents of a
    > directory and
    > a) If it's Monday at 2200, do a full backup
    > b) If it's any other day, compare the contents of the directory today
    > with the contents at the last backup point and if they are different,
    > do a backup.

    > I have heard about something called rdiff, but I am unfamiliar with
    > it. Does anyone use an "out of the box" software solution which is
    > easy to configure and can be schedulled via cron or some other means
    > to do full backups once a week of multiple directories, and
    > incrementals every other day?

    I haven't tried any of these, but I've bookmarked these pages during my
    travels on the internet. You might want to take a look and see if any
    of them sound like what you want:

    http://mkcdrec.ota.be/
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2280165098.html
    http://www.linux-backup.net/App/
    http://riseuplabs.org/grimoire//backup/
    http://www2.backup-manager.org/Home
    http://dar.linux.free.fr/
    http://www.mondorescue.org/

    > I could write a script to do this if I could figure out the algorithm.
    > I think it would be a matter of storing the information about each
    > directory backed up so that it can be compared with the next
    > iteration.

    I've been using the Simple Backup script at:

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/simple_backup/

    This isn't the one in the repositories, so it needs to be downloaded
    from their site. I'm happy with it except for the fact that I can't get
    it to verify the integrity of the created files, which I feel is
    important. So I've been writing my own script instead.

    If you're not averse to zip files, you might want to take a look at the
    script I've been writing for myself (as a result of a conversation
    I'm having with Moe Trin in another thread). It would work as is on
    Mondays, and you'd need to have a second copy of it modified by adding
    a -u to the command line arguments to just freshen/update the existing
    zips for Tuesday through Sunday. Cron could load the appropriate file
    on the appropriate days.

    > Does this sound correct? I have 5 directories that I need to be able
    > to restore from backup if my system crashes or I use the rm command
    > recklessly.

    One last idea is based on whether you require compression of the
    files. If not, I highly recommend a program called Mirrordir, which is
    available in the repositories. It couldn't be easier to use, is
    lightning fast and is well documented.

    Either way, have fun with it. Linux has tons of ways to back up, so I'm
    sure you'll find at least one that you like. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  11. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    > On 2007-08-31, Malcolm blabbered on and on about Re: [backups] Looking for some advice. in alt.os.linux.ubuntu w
    >> Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:26:47 GMT, Chris Game expounded upon us in
    >>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    >>> No, I just want to be able to backup my Feisty Fawn server to an
    >>> external USB drive so that if something happens (read: I mess things
    >>> up again) I have something in place so that I won't have to reload
    >>> everything all the time. I was just thinking about doing a full
    >>> backup everyday at 5:00am and deleting them after a week. My
    >>> external drive should be able to handle a gzip for 4 directories.

    >> Hi
    >> Have you looked at dump?
    >>

    > I was able to locate the program in Synaptic by searching for "dump".
    > According to the specs
    >
    > Dump examines files on a filesystem and determines which files need to
    > be backed up. These files are copied to the given disk, tape or other
    > storage medium for safe keeping.
    >
    > The restore command performs the inverse function of dump. A full
    > backup of a file system may be restored and subsequent incremental backups layered
    > on top of it. Single files and directory subtrees may be restored from
    > full or partial backups.
    >
    > However, my filesystems are ext3. Will it still work with ext3 or is
    > the restriction to ext2 tight?

    Hi
    I'm running sparc systems with ext3 and use it to dump to dds3 tape
    without any issues.

    Version dump 0.4b41-4 first part of man page;

    Dump examines files on an ext2/3

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

  12. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On 2007-08-31, Raphael Thevenin wrote:
    > Pseudo Silk Kimono a écrit :
    >> As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on how to
    >> implement a backup strategy.
    >>
    >> I have tried Keep, but based on my reading, it will only function
    >> properly in KDE and I use Gnome so I cannot use it.
    >>
    >> I have tried SimpleBackup (all one word) and it worked fine for the
    >> first week, then it simply stopped. I don't see what the problem is.
    >>
    >> I would like to have a program that looks at the contents of a directory
    >> and
    >> a) If it's Monday at 2200, do a full backup
    >> b) If it's any other day, compare the contents of the directory today
    >> with the contents at the last backup point and if they are different, do
    >> a backup.
    >>
    >> I have heard about something called rdiff, but I am unfamiliar with it.
    >> Does anyone use an "out of the box" software solution which is easy to
    >> configure and can be schedulled via cron or some other means to do
    >> full backups once a week of multiple directories, and incrementals every
    >> other day?
    >>
    >> I could write a script to do this if I could figure out the algorithm.
    >> I think it would be a matter of storing the information about each
    >> directory backed up so that it can be compared with the next iteration.
    >>
    >> Does this sound correct? I have 5 directories that I need to be able to
    >> restore from backup if my system crashes or I use the rm command
    >> recklessly.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> PSK
    >>

    > I'm using rdiff-backup with an USB hard drive. I found this script. Each
    > time I plug my backup disk, it's launched.
    >
    > http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/in...SBBackupScript
    >
    > Never tried to recover anything.

    Ms Penguin here. Look until one has *tested* ones backups one is living in a
    sureal world.

    Test ones backups is a part *required* part of backing up. Not each and
    every one but, the procedure.

    > Hope it can help you.
    >
    > RT

  13. Re: [backups] Looking for some advice.

    On 2007-08-31, Chris Game wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:48:14 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> As the subject of this post says, I am looking for some advice on
    >> how to implement a backup strategy.

    > Have you got fifty PCs on your local network?

    Seven of Nine here, irrevevant. A backup strategy applies from one to
    however many PC's one has. You might *nned* that data back some time before
    the next back up

+ Reply to Thread