Re: All my oggs in one^H^H^H several baskets - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: All my oggs in one^H^H^H several baskets - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:30:57 -0400, caver1 wrote: > I don't just decide for myself. I have used several of my friends who > are musicians in blind tests and they agree. > I used the same quality settings ...

  1. Re: All my oggs in one^H^H^H several baskets

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:30:57 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > I don't just decide for myself. I have used several of my friends who
    > are musicians in blind tests and they agree.
    > I used the same quality settings for both for testing.
    > caver1

    Just because they are a musician doesn't mean they have good hearing. In
    fact, the opposite is more likely due to the hearing damage from all the
    loud music over the years. I've done A/B testing with 256kbs mp3 and
    lossless files and can hear no difference. This was done on Sennheiser
    HD595 headphones and EMU 0404 USB external soundcard used purely as a DAC
    being fed digitally by an X-Fi, amp was Audiolab 8000A. Used foobar
    with Asio driver as media player. That's quite a high resolution setup so I
    should have heard the difference if there is any. Not saying there is no
    measurable difference but if I can't hear any difference between lossless
    and mp3 then I highly doubt that OGG is going to make any difference to me
    either. You are aware of the placebo effect, right?

  2. Re: All my oggs in one^H^H^H several baskets

    Fish wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:30:57 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >

    >> I don't just decide for myself. I have used several of my friends who
    >> are musicians in blind tests and they agree.
    >> I used the same quality settings for both for testing.
    >> caver1

    > Just because they are a musician doesn't mean they have good hearing. In
    > fact, the opposite is more likely due to the hearing damage from all the
    > loud music over the years. I've done A/B testing with 256kbs mp3 and
    > lossless files and can hear no difference. This was done on Sennheiser
    > HD595 headphones and EMU 0404 USB external soundcard used purely as a DAC
    > being fed digitally by an X-Fi, amp was Audiolab 8000A. Used foobar
    > with Asio driver as media player. That's quite a high resolution setup so I
    > should have heard the difference if there is any. Not saying there is no
    > measurable difference but if I can't hear any difference between lossless
    > and mp3 then I highly doubt that OGG is going to make any difference to me
    > either. You are aware of the placebo effect, right?

    I have but I know these people. THey do have good hearing. Just because
    you don't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. When I do a blind test that
    means they don't know. If there is no difference than why have different
    programs written by different people? Why do some like some over others?
    Its not all placebo. At this point I could question your hearing but
    whats the point? If there is no difference between lossless and mp3 why
    anyone even use lossless? I like mushrooms my wife hates them. Who's
    right? Many of my friends hearing is bad many of them are good. Just
    because you think your system is good that makes your hearing better?
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread