Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu ; > Vista has *more* hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience. I did not install Vista nor I plan on it but, in my experience, Ubuntu has other (more) than just hardware issues. I've installed the 32 and 64 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 97 of 97

  1. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    > Vista has *more* hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience.

    I did not install Vista nor I plan on it but, in my experience, Ubuntu has
    other (more) than just hardware issues. I've installed the 32 and 64 bit
    versions several times on different boxes with different CPU configurations
    and both versions crapped out on me after wasting many hours trying to get
    them to run. I never succeeded, even with as much help as I got here.

    Suse and Redhat let you have a free version of their commercial enterprise
    distro but, as I found out, those versions are junk and the only reason they
    are available for "free" is to entice part time programmers to debug and fix
    them as much as possible - for free - so that they can be resold later
    under the "enterprise" label (that is MY opinion).

    I almost downloaded Debian because I was impressed with the quantity of
    groups that support it but when I began reading some of the problems users
    are having with the Debian distro, I realized that Debian, just like the
    rest of the Linux distro family, still leaves out a lot to be desired.

    Thinking that 'Unix" is a better OS than Winblows, I wanted real bad to give
    it a try (obviously I couldn't rely on Linux), I downloaded Solaris. After
    loosing precious hours installing it (it installs painfully slow and its
    disk partitioning scheme is very arcane - be warned!!!), I hosed my system.
    Solaris left me with the impression of Linux years ago, ugly and very
    primitive and, naturally, I assumed that this is why Sun offers Solaris for
    free because they can't really make profit with this ****.

    In conclusion, I'd like to ask all those good folks from Novell, Redhat,
    Debian, Bubunto, FreeBSD (what happened to Mandrake, Lindows?) who so
    willingly give us "free" OS's to; take their crappy product and shove it
    where the sun don't shine. When they get their act together, then, and only
    then, I am willing to try, and even BUY their product, but not before it's
    fixed!

  2. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen wrote:

    > In conclusion, I'd like to ask all those good folks from Novell, Redhat,
    > Debian, Bubunto, FreeBSD (what happened to Mandrake, Lindows?) who so
    > willingly give us "free" OS's to; take their crappy product and shove it
    > where the sun don't shine. When they get their act together, then, and
    > only then, I am willing to try, and even BUY their product, but not before
    > it's fixed!

    Sounds to me that its YOU that needs fixing. Ubuntu is a pleasure to use.
    It's rock stable, fast, secure and gives me a desktop computer that can do
    a 100 times more than any Windoze box can do. But of course, you can't
    appreciate any of this, because you're incapable of getting even a basic
    Linux box up and running. Stick with Windoze. It's a toy operating system
    that seems to be in your league.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    >> In conclusion, I'd like to ask all those good folks from Novell, Redhat,
    >> Debian, Bubunto, FreeBSD (what happened to Mandrake, Lindows?) who so
    >> willingly give us "free" OS's to; take their crappy product and shove
    >> it
    >> where the sun don't shine. When they get their act together, then, and
    >> only then, I am willing to try, and even BUY their product, but not
    >> before
    >> it's fixed!

    > Sounds to me that its YOU that needs fixing. Ubuntu is a pleasure to use.
    > It's rock stable, fast, secure and gives me a desktop computer that can do
    > a 100 times more than any Windoze box can do.

    I don't believe you have any clue about what you're talking about. You
    listed "100 times more..."
    I'll let you off the hook easy; list 50 items which you can run better on
    Ubunto.
    ..

  4. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen wrote:

    >>> In conclusion, I'd like to ask all those good folks from Novell, Redhat,
    >>> Debian, Bubunto, FreeBSD (what happened to Mandrake, Lindows?) who so
    >>> willingly give us "free" OS's to; take their crappy product and shove
    >>> it
    >>> where the sun don't shine. When they get their act together, then, and
    >>> only then, I am willing to try, and even BUY their product, but not
    >>> before
    >>> it's fixed!

    >> Sounds to me that its YOU that needs fixing. Ubuntu is a pleasure to use.
    >> It's rock stable, fast, secure and gives me a desktop computer that can
    >> do a 100 times more than any Windoze box can do.

    > I don't believe you have any clue about what you're talking about. You
    > listed "100 times more..."
    > I'll let you off the hook easy; list 50 items which you can run better on
    > Ubunto.
    > .

    Like I'm going to waste my time trying to educate you on all the things I do
    with Ubuntu that I can't do with Windoze? I'll give you a few things that I
    regularly do on a regular basis ...

    * Transcode video using a local cluster of Linux boxes I have running on my
    LAN.

    * Have a number of website directories open on my desktop so I can easily
    move files back and forth between my local directories and the ones I
    administer out on the Internet.

    * Remotely (either other local boxes or across the Internet) run different
    applications on other Linux boxes on my local desktop using ssh -X

    * Run cron jobs that backup mysql databases from remote sites onto a backup
    drive on my local box at regular intervals.

    * tail a number of access_log files that allow me to keep a closer realtime
    view of what's happening with my web servers, displayed through ssh on my
    desktop.

    * VMWare vm's definitely run faster and smoother hosted on Ubuntu than on
    Windoze.

    * Support a number of clients/friends remotely using ssh doing everything
    from installing software on their boxes to troubleshooting and configuring
    their systems.

    .... the above is just a start and as far as I'm willing to write on this
    now. I'm not going to even bother getting into the bash scripts that I can
    run that automate all sorts of common tasks that I use/do all the time.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  5. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen wrote:

    > > Sounds to me that its YOU that needs fixing. Ubuntu is a pleasure
    > > to use. It's rock stable, fast, secure and gives me a desktop
    > > computer that can do a 100 times more than any Windoze box can do.

    > I don't believe you have any clue about what you're talking about.

    Fortunately for us what you believe is about as significant as a
    queef in a hurricane.

    > You listed "100 times more..."

    That's a statement not a list, you illiterate Wintard.

    > I'll let you off the hook easy; list 50 items which you can run
    > better on Ubunto.

    Impossible. There no such thing as Ubunto.

    OTOH, if you're just such an illiterate Wintard you can't quite master
    6 letter words, then the job is an easy one because everything runs
    better on Ubuntu. There's more software choices and they're ALL better
    than any Winblows crap. Pick any software you like. It's more robust,
    faster, and more capable on a Linux box. No question about it.

    Well, except for viruses. Winblows wins that one hands down. Due
    largely to the fact that the average Wintard is so stump stupid they
    can't help but double click everything in sight like rabid monkeys on
    crack.

  6. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:47:36 GMT, Pete wrote:

    >> There always used to be the notion that Microsoft produces bloat,
    >> to create hardware upgrades and sell more RAM, bigger hard
    >> disks, faster processors, new machines, graphics cards etc etc.
    >> With Vista, this seems more apparent than ever before.
    >>

    > 1GB is quite fine to run the Basic version.

    1GB certainly ran the public beta edition perfectly well, Aero
    graphics and all, including several hundred MB for applications.
    Price was the major disincentive to install the issued version.

    --
    Chris Game

    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

  7. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen wrote:

    > I'll let you off the hook easy; list 50 items which you can run better on
    > Ubunto.

    Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of trolling.

    It would almost make you think there's a trollbot somewhere with the error
    programmed in!

    --
    David Aldred

  8. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Vista has *more* hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience.

    > I did not install Vista nor I plan on it but, in my experience, Ubuntu has
    > other (more) than just hardware issues. I've installed the 32 and 64 bit
    > versions several times on different boxes with different CPU configurations
    > and both versions crapped out on me after wasting many hours trying to get
    > them to run. I never succeeded, even with as much help as I got here.

    LOL.

    The above statement, and all of the *snipped* stuff you've written
    only succeed in proving that you are incapable of installing *any* OS.
    You are a ming-mong. You should not be allowed near a computer. They
    are obviously far too complex for you.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    swen wrote:
    >>>In conclusion, I'd like to ask all those good folks from Novell, Redhat,
    >>>Debian, Bubunto, FreeBSD (what happened to Mandrake, Lindows?) who so
    >>>willingly give us "free" OS's to; take their crappy product and shove
    >>>it
    >>>where the sun don't shine. When they get their act together, then, and
    >>>only then, I am willing to try, and even BUY their product, but not
    >>>before
    >>>it's fixed!

    >>Sounds to me that its YOU that needs fixing. Ubuntu is a pleasure to use.
    >>It's rock stable, fast, secure and gives me a desktop computer that cando
    >>a 100 times more than any Windoze box can do.

    > I don't believe you have any clue about what you're talking about. You
    > listed "100 times more..."
    > I'll let you off the hook easy; list 50 items which you can run better on
    > Ubunto.

    I doubt any user could name *50* items he does with his computer (or to
    the letter: 50 items that he runs on his computer ... is it still *his*
    computer?):
    - Surfing the internet
    - Playing games
    - Writing letters
    - listening to music
    - watching videos
    I just reached 10% and I already have difficulties finding more (for the
    average user, i.e.; I also do software development and video processing,
    to name but two).
    And while maybe with "playing games", you have more choice on one side,
    the other four can be done as just as well with Ubuntu (and other Linux
    distributions).

    However, the main difference between FOSS and non-FOSS is in the way you
    are treated by your OS and the applications which run on top of it.
    Whether you consistently find out that you aren't entitled to do what
    you want to do (that's the F in FOSS), or whether you can find out how
    things work (that's the O in FOSS) and whether they work as *you* expect
    them to do.

    Maybe I cannot run 50 items *better* on Ubuntu (or SuSE Linux, which I
    also use), but I do have a better feeling of having the freedom to do
    whatever I want with *my* computer (and that also includes the fact that
    none of *my* computers is sending out spam or starting DDOS attacks) and
    I don't have to trust someone else's word but I can check out for myself
    or have someone I trust check out whether *my* computer is still *my*
    computer.

    But as David already points out: Not being able to spell Ubuntu right
    certainly shows your attitude.
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  10. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:35:15 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of trolling.

    And Linux users who spell Windows as Windoze etc. aren't?

  11. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Juarez wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:35:15 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >

    >> Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of trolling.

    > And Linux users who spell Windows as Windoze etc. aren't?

    You mean, linux users in a linux group?
    It is one thing to troll in an advocacy group. It is totally unacceptable to
    troll in a normal help group like this one.
    Windows users engaging in trolling here are the lowest scum imaginable.
    Complete, utter filth. They do not even deserve contempt
    --
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
    To mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

  12. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Juarez said:
    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:35:15 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >

    > > Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of
    > > trolling.

    > And Linux users who spell Windows as Windoze etc. aren't?

    Only in Winduhs groups may they be so considered.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    Winduhs

  13. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:30:19 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > Only in Winduhs groups may they be so considered.
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    I choose to spell both correctly because spelling either wrong is
    just ignorant. I don't advocate any OS as they all have their strengths
    and weaknesses.

  14. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Juarez wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:35:15 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >

    >> Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of trolling.

    > And Linux users who spell Windows as Windoze etc. aren't?

    Nope. Not in a Linux newsgroup. :-)

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  15. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Juarez wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:30:19 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >

    >> Only in Winduhs groups may they be so considered.
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard

    > I choose to spell both correctly because spelling either wrong is
    > just ignorant. I don't advocate any OS as they all have their strengths
    > and weaknesses.

    Well good for you! Glad you could find some strengths in Windoze. For the
    life of me, I've never been able to.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  16. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:03:45 GMT, Juarez wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:35:15 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> Guys, remember: inability to spell Ubuntu is usually a sign of
    >> trolling.

    > And Linux users who spell Windows as Windoze etc. aren't?

    No, they're just illiterate.

    --
    Chris Game

    "It's not a good idea to look too hard at the words, they
    resent it." -- T. Pratchet, "Mort".

  17. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    NoStop wrote:

    > Juarez wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:30:19 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >>

    >>> Only in Winduhs groups may they be so considered.
    >>>
    >>> Cybe R. Wizard

    >> I choose to spell both correctly because spelling either wrong is
    >> just ignorant. I don't advocate any OS as they all have their strengths
    >> and weaknesses.

    > Well good for you! Glad you could find some strengths in Windoze. For the
    > life of me, I've never been able to.

    It has the most advanced virus replication support.

    Florian

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5