Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu ; Moog, on 09/02/2007 09:03 AM said: > > The Vista Install is better than XP's. You can install in around an > hour for just a vanilla version. As it happens, Vista has *more* > hardware issues than Ubuntu does ...

  1. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Moog, on 09/02/2007 09:03 AM said:

    > The Vista Install is better than XP's. You can install in around an
    > hour for just a vanilla version. As it happens, Vista has *more*
    > hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience. Obviously, this will
    > change once drivers hit the win update site, but it is a good comparison
    > to make when people complain about Ubuntu's hardware compatibility.

    That I've encountered. I tried the beta version (both 32- and 64-bit,
    both of which needed lots of help finding my hardware). The next time I
    tried it was when it came with my HP Slimline computer... it was on the
    hard drive long enough for me to burn the restore DVDs (you know, they
    don't give you restore discs anymore?!) and then burn the image of
    Ubuntu's alternate install CD and it was off to the races with me...

    Even on this computer (which was branded with Vista when I got it),
    Vista is horrible in terms of speed and such. This system thrashed a
    *lot* when I got it. It doesn't now, and I haven't upgraded the RAM at
    all...

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!

  2. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:12:52 -0400
    Michael Trausch <"mike|s/\\x40/\\./g;s/|.*|/\\x40/g;|trausch"@us> wrote:

    > Moog, on 09/02/2007 09:03 AM said:
    > >
    > > The Vista Install is better than XP's. You can install in around an
    > > hour for just a vanilla version. As it happens, Vista has *more*
    > > hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience. Obviously, this will
    > > change once drivers hit the win update site, but it is a good comparison
    > > to make when people complain about Ubuntu's hardware compatibility.
    > >

    > That I've encountered. I tried the beta version (both 32- and 64-bit,
    > both of which needed lots of help finding my hardware). The next time I
    > tried it was when it came with my HP Slimline computer... it was on the
    > hard drive long enough for me to burn the restore DVDs (you know, they
    > don't give you restore discs anymore?!) and then burn the image of
    > Ubuntu's alternate install CD and it was off to the races with me...
    >
    > Even on this computer (which was branded with Vista when I got it),
    > Vista is horrible in terms of speed and such. This system thrashed a
    > *lot* when I got it. It doesn't now, and I haven't upgraded the RAM at
    > all...

    1GB isn't really enough for Vista, my laptop has 2GB and runs it
    nicely. I tried on my home PC, 1GB and it sucked. Oh it was fine for
    Running Vista itself (XP2800+ X800 gfx) so horsepower wise it's OK but
    start adding applications and it sucks on 1GB. In Ubuntu I'm currently
    using 411MB and 33MB swap, have firefox open, listening to Radio
    Caroline on VLC Player and currently encoding a .OGM movie into Mpeg2
    for DVD creation (look ma, no lag).

    2GB runs it nicely though. On my laptop I have a VM with Win2000 on for
    running things like SQL Server 2000 and older versions of software that
    I need. 2GB gives me that breathing space.

    Wish I was encoding that video on my laptop though, stretching what an
    old Athlon can do :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  3. Re: I'm impressed

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> Let us not forget that there isn't the kind of development budget with
    >>> Ubuntu as there is in others. The fact that Ubuntu and numerous other
    >>> distros are seen as viable alternatives is a minor miracle, considering
    >>> the above. Never, *ever* forget that.

    >> I don't. And I'm surprised you think I do.

    > Yet you seem to side with the whiners.

    No. I said I understand their frustrations. Big difference.

    --
    I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver.
    -- Phil Harris

  4. Re: I'm impressed

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    > > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > >> I don't. And I'm surprised you think I do.

    > > Yet you seem to side with the whiners.

    > No. I said I understand their frustrations. Big difference.

    I'm not surprised they're frustrated if all they do is whine. Society
    in general is turning into a load of moaners. People wnat their arses
    wiping for them these days. We're genetically turning into soft arse
    pussies.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: I'm impressed

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >> > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > Yet you seem to side with the whiners.

    >> No. I said I understand their frustrations. Big difference.

    > I'm not surprised they're frustrated if all they do is whine. Society
    > in general is turning into a load of moaners. People wnat their arses
    > wiping for them these days. We're genetically turning into soft arse
    > pussies.

    Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only crime
    is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

  6. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    "Michael Trausch" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog, on 09/02/2007 09:03 AM said:
    > >
    > > The Vista Install is better than XP's. You can install in around an
    > > hour for just a vanilla version. As it happens, Vista has *more*
    > > hardware issues than Ubuntu does in my experience. Obviously, this
    > > will change once drivers hit the win update site, but it is a good
    > > comparison to make when people complain about Ubuntu's hardware
    > > compatibility.
    > >

    > That I've encountered. I tried the beta version (both 32- and 64-bit,
    > both of which needed lots of help finding my hardware). The next
    > time I tried it was when it came with my HP Slimline computer... it
    > was on the hard drive long enough for me to burn the restore DVDs
    > (you know, they don't give you restore discs anymore?!) and then burn
    > the image of Ubuntu's alternate install CD and it was off to the
    > races with me...
    >
    > Even on this computer (which was branded with Vista when I got it),
    > Vista is horrible in terms of speed and such. This system thrashed a
    > *lot* when I got it. It doesn't now, and I haven't upgraded the RAM
    > at all...

    I think Trevor hit the nail on the head when he suggests that you need
    2gb RAM to successfully run Vista.

    There always used to be the notion that Microsoft produces bloat, to
    create hardware upgrades and sell more RAM, bigger hard disks, faster
    processors, new machines, graphics cards etc etc.
    With Vista, this seems more apparent than ever before.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: I'm impressed

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    > before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    > crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    LOL. There may be some truth in that.

    Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it should.
    I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins. There are
    certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are just plain rude
    and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: I'm impressed

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    >> before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    >> crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    > LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    >
    > Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it should.
    > I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins. There are
    > certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are just plain rude
    > and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    ignore. Shouting never wins. Not in an emotionless medium. You know how
    reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

  9. Re: I'm impressed

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:05:37 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    > ignore. Shouting never wins. Not in an emotionless medium. You know how
    > reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

    Some, like Nero are beyond help, he gave up at the first hurdle. Makes
    you wonder what people do when they fall at a hurdle while setting up
    Windows? Do they blame the OS then (what do they fall back on?) or do
    they finally accept they are crap at computers and get someone else to
    set it up for them?

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  10. Re: I'm impressed

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:59:00 +0100, Moog
    wrote:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    >> before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    >> crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    > LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    >
    > Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it should.
    > I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins. There are
    > certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are just plain rude
    > and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    So killfile them.

    I love making fun of stupid people, and I do so daily in groups where
    the regulars are happy for me to do so, but if the consensus of a
    newsgroup is that most people would prefer the stupid people to be
    ignored, I killfile the stupid people in order to avoid temptation.

    --
    PJR :-)

  11. Re: I'm impressed

    "Peter J Ross" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:59:00 +0100, Moog
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >

    > >> Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    > >> before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    > >> crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    > > LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    > >
    > > Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it
    > > should. I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins.
    > > There are certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are
    > > just plain rude and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    > So killfile them.

    Nah. It may just be me, but I see killfiling as akin to " ears> I'm not listening".

    > I love making fun of stupid people, and I do so daily in groups where
    > the regulars are happy for me to do so, but if the consensus of a
    > newsgroup is that most people would prefer the stupid people to be
    > ignored, I killfile the stupid people in order to avoid temptation.

    Cool. There are different strokes and all that.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: I'm impressed

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    > > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >

    > >> Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    > >> before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    > >> crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    > > LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    > >
    > > Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it
    > > should. I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins.
    > > There are certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are
    > > just plain rude and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    > If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    > ignore.

    Agreed.

    > Shouting never wins.

    Hmmmm. I saw you doing just that with a very reasonable poster the
    other day. You remember the thread don't you?

    > Not in an emotionless medium. You know
    > how reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

    Heh.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: I'm impressed

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:05:37 +0200, Hadron
    wrote:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Maybe you need a break from helping people. I've seem this happen
    >>> before. You have become very short tempered with people whose only
    >>> crime is frustration :-) But don't we all ...

    >> LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    >>
    >> Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it should.
    >> I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins. There are
    >> certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are just plain rude
    >> and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    > If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    > ignore. Shouting never wins. Not in an emotionless medium. You know how
    > reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

    Why don't you just ignore the "COLA gang"? Why do you think it's
    necessary to defend yourself against them? I don't think many of the
    AOLU regulars or newbies care what the "COLA gang" write about you.
    Your reputation is more likely to be damaged if you reply to them than
    if you ignore them.

    Maybe not only you but also some of your opponents could stop fighting
    and spend their time trying to help Ubuntu users who ask questions
    here instead?

    Jusdt a thought.

    --
    PJR :-)

  14. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Moog, on 09/02/2007 12:56 PM said:

    > I think Trevor hit the nail on the head when he suggests that you
    > need 2gb RAM to successfully run Vista.
    >
    > There always used to be the notion that Microsoft produces bloat, to
    > create hardware upgrades and sell more RAM, bigger hard disks, faster
    > processors, new machines, graphics cards etc etc. With Vista, this
    > seems more apparent than ever before.

    You are probably quite right. Microsoft systems seem to be the most
    bloated ones out there for their times, and when they come out with a
    new system it comes with more bloat.

    Of course, this happens in some way to all software---A Slackware base
    installation today takes up more space than it did fifteen years ago, to
    be sure---but at least it's not an unreasonable bloat in most cases, and
    it is trimmable at will. Ubuntu even grows somewhat, but that is
    directly due to the addition of new features, not necessary new
    abstractions layered on top of one another.

    I read a short while back about the issues that Windows Vista has with
    networking and other subsystems being able to happily work together to
    run properly, and was rather disappointed. For the bloat to become such
    a problem as to interfere with the functionality of the system and cause
    networking to interfere with other basic system functionality is
    something that I've never heard of in any operating system worth its
    weight---in salt.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!
    (And Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, too!) http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  15. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    "Michael Trausch" <"mike|s/\\x40/\\./g;s/|.*|/\\x40/g;|trausch"@us> wrote in
    message news:kOKdnaKvreVttEbbnZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I read a short while back about the issues that Windows Vista has with
    > networking and other subsystems being able to happily work together to
    > run properly, and was rather disappointed. For the bloat to become such
    > a problem as to interfere with the functionality of the system and cause
    > networking to interfere with other basic system functionality is
    > something that I've never heard of in any operating system worth its
    > weight---in salt.

    Vista is the BEST advertisiment ever conceived for switching to Linux. The
    M$ folks really shot themselves in the foot with this POS>

    ONE advertisement in my local paper turned into 48 new customers for me to W
    and L (wipe Vista and load Linux) in a single DAY.

  16. Re: I'm impressed

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >> > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    >> >
    >> > Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it
    >> > should. I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins.
    >> > There are certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are
    >> > just plain rude and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    >> If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    >> ignore.

    > Agreed.
    >
    >> Shouting never wins.

    > Hmmmm. I saw you doing just that with a very reasonable poster the
    > other day. You remember the thread don't you?

    No. Which one? I can be rude & abrasive - but normally only with COLA
    gang morons.

    >> Not in an emotionless medium. You know
    >> how reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

    > Heh.

  17. Re: I'm impressed

    Peter J Ross writes:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:05:37 +0200, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> LOL. There may be some truth in that.
    >>>
    >>> Honestly though, I feel that if my knowledge can help, then it should.
    >>> I also feel that this group is becoming awash with cretins. There are
    >>> certain noobs that are brilliant, and others that are just plain rude
    >>> and arrogant. It's the latter that grip my ****.

    >> If they are here for help then i think its better to help or
    >> ignore. Shouting never wins. Not in an emotionless medium. You know how
    >> reasoned I am with what I call the "COLA gang" ..... :-;

    > Why don't you just ignore the "COLA gang"? Why do you think it's
    > necessary to defend yourself against them? I don't think many of the
    > AOLU regulars or newbies care what the "COLA gang" write about you.
    > Your reputation is more likely to be damaged if you reply to them than
    > if you ignore them.
    >
    > Maybe not only you but also some of your opponents could stop fighting
    > and spend their time trying to help Ubuntu users who ask questions
    > here instead?
    >
    > Jusdt a thought.

    And a good one.

    --
    No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish.

  18. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    Mountain Mike^^, on 09/02/2007 05:59 PM said:

    > Vista is the BEST advertisiment ever conceived for switching to Linux. The
    > M$ folks really shot themselves in the foot with this POS>
    >
    > ONE advertisement in my local paper turned into 48 new customers for me to W
    > and L (wipe Vista and load Linux) in a single DAY.

    I wish I had half that many hours in a day... or maybe I just can't do
    new math. Assuming 24 hours... and two hours a customer at $100 an
    hour, and 48 of these in a single day... well, that has to be 96 hours,
    and $9,600. Those are some really long days. I'm envious.

    Being less pedantic, while the figure sounds nice, it's still too much,
    IMHO. $30-$60 an hour, tops, is sufficient for on-site service. And
    most people can't even really afford that.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!
    (And Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, too!) http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  19. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    > Mountain Mike^^, on 09/02/2007 05:59 PM said:

    > Vista is the BEST advertisiment ever conceived for switching to Linux. The
    > M$ folks really shot themselves in the foot with this POS>
    >
    > ONE advertisement in my local paper turned into 48 new customers for me to
    > and L (wipe Vista and load Linux) in a single DAY.

    Problem is, once your customers find out that Linux is not up for what it's
    all hyped up to be, they'll sooner or later go back to M$ and probably kick
    your ass in between for your ineptitude.

  20. Re: I'm NOT impressed

    "Michael Trausch" <"mike|s/\\x40/\\./g;s/|.*|/\\x40/g;|trausch"@us> wrote in
    message news:LrCdnSewsNm2xEbbnZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I wish I had half that many hours in a day... or maybe I just can't do
    > new math. Assuming 24 hours... and two hours a customer at $100 an
    > hour, and 48 of these in a single day... well, that has to be 96 hours,
    > and $9,600. Those are some really long days. I'm envious.
    >
    > Being less pedantic, while the figure sounds nice, it's still too much,
    > IMHO. $30-$60 an hour, tops, is sufficient for on-site service. And
    > most people can't even really afford that.

    I didn't DO them in a single day, I only took the orders. Yes, I charge
    $100/hour and 2 hours is what I get. Sometimes I do it free, if they can't
    afford it. It's just a bit of socialism thrown in for guilt.

    BTW, I can't start my truck for $30, let alone charge that for service.