Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote: > Until it makes you re-activate :-) Well, that is a PITA, yes. > I'm sure people have written lots, have you actually done it? No, I like to do ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Re: I'm impressed

  1. Re: I'm impressed

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:


    > Until it makes you re-activate :-)


    Well, that is a PITA, yes.

    > I'm sure people have written lots, have you actually done it?


    No, I like to do a fresh ionstall when doing a major hardware change.

    Or know
    > someone that has?


    I don't know them but I saw a post from someone at HardOCP who changed the
    mb and Vista handled it fine.


    > I've changed a monitor in Linux, no problems. What problems have you had
    > doing it?
    >


    Change from an LCD to a CRT or the other way around and you will see what I
    mean. You have to go reconfigure the timings and resolutions, may even
    have to generate a mode line too. In XP and Vista you just plug it in and
    it is auto detected and set up correctly. Not so in any version of Linux I
    have used.

  2. Re: I'm impressed

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:35:19 +0000, Fish wrote:


    >
    > Change from an LCD to a CRT or the other way around and you will see what I
    > mean. You have to go reconfigure the timings and resolutions, may even
    > have to generate a mode line too. In XP and Vista you just plug it in and
    > it is auto detected and set up correctly. Not so in any version of Linux I
    > have used.


    That is supposed to change with Gutsy.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: I'm impressed

    In Stephan Rose:

    [Snip...]

    > That is supposed to change with Gutsy.


    "Fish" will be shocked--SHOCKED, I tell you--to find I replaced a Viewsonic
    A70f CRT with a Viewsonic VA503b LCD on SuSE 10.0 inside of 15 minutes.

    Simple: init 3, unplug CRT, plugin LCD, sax2, configure LCD, init 5. Done.

    Now SuSE 10.0 has been out what, almost 2 or so years now? WhodaThunkIt?

    In light of his stunning achievement, "Fish" gets the golden PLONK award.

    YMMV; HTH...

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  4. Re: I'm impressed

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:35:19 GMT
    Fish wrote:


    > Change from an LCD to a CRT or the other way around and you will see what I
    > mean. You have to go reconfigure the timings and resolutions, may even
    > have to generate a mode line too. In XP and Vista you just plug it in and
    > it is auto detected and set up correctly. Not so in any version of Linux I
    > have used.


    Done it both ways, tried a LCD on my system. On the LCD I had to bring
    the refresh rate down to 60 from 75Hz as 75 made it look a bit fuzzy
    with some interference lines. Going back to the CRT I had to switch
    back to 85Hz as 60 is a bit flickery on a CRT. All adjustments done in
    the GUI in the screen resolution tool.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  5. Re: I'm impressed

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:57:27 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:


    > "Fish" will be shocked--SHOCKED, I tell you--to find I replaced a Viewsonic
    > A70f CRT with a Viewsonic VA503b LCD on SuSE 10.0 inside of 15 minutes.
    >
    > Simple: init 3, unplug CRT, plugin LCD, sax2, configure LCD, init 5. Done.
    >
    > Now SuSE 10.0 has been out what, almost 2 or so years now? WhodaThunkIt?
    >
    > In light of his stunning achievement, "Fish" gets the golden PLONK award.
    >
    > YMMV; HTH...
    >


    15 minutes just to change a monitor? And you think that somehow is
    good? That is a 30 second operation on XP or Vista.

+ Reply to Thread