Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber? - Ubuntu ; -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 I prefer hellanzb, only downside is its CLI based if your looking for a GUI client. Kevin Fish wrote: > Is there such a thing for Ubuntu? I don't like using newsreaders for > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

  1. Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I prefer hellanzb, only downside is its CLI based if your looking for a
    GUI client.

    Kevin

    Fish wrote:
    > Is there such a thing for Ubuntu? I don't like using newsreaders for
    > handling usenet binary files and much prefer dedicated binary grabbers
    > like Grabit for Windows.


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFG10zq2yf8gTm+cAsRAlzuAJ9QPSugprqtQdm+WEZDxP 1W0r3eUgCfS19U
    vnkJ7vt62ud9uG1S0avzFlc=
    =2Ibd
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:04:19 -0700, Kevin Cortez wrote:

    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > I prefer hellanzb, only downside is its CLI based if your looking for a
    > GUI client.
    >
    > Kevin


    I haven't used a CLI for usenet binaries since about 1993 when I had a
    unix shell internet account with a BBS. Don't want to start using CLI for
    that again either. Remember I had to download the files and then manually
    decode them with uuencode. PITA.

  3. Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

    Fish wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:04:19 -0700, Kevin Cortez wrote:
    >
    >> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >> Hash: SHA1
    >>
    >> I prefer hellanzb, only downside is its CLI based if your looking for a
    >> GUI client.
    >>
    >> Kevin

    >
    > I haven't used a CLI for usenet binaries since about 1993 when I had a
    > unix shell internet account with a BBS. Don't want to start using CLI for
    > that again either. Remember I had to download the files and then manually
    > decode them with uuencode. PITA.


    The link I pointed out uses hellanzb and makes a neat little program
    that you can have running, waiting for you to drop a nzb file in it, and
    off it goes.
    It'll dl rarfiles and enough parfiles (if required) to fix, combine and
    decode, extract the rarfile then delete all the carp it downloaded
    (except the resulting file, of course.)
    If you stop it or shut down, it remembers where it left off and
    continues next time you run it.
    It's pretty nice..!

  4. Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:08:39 -0700, clay wrote:


    > The link I pointed out uses hellanzb and makes a neat little program
    > that you can have running, waiting for you to drop a nzb file in it, and
    > off it goes.
    > It'll dl rarfiles and enough parfiles (if required) to fix, combine and
    > decode, extract the rarfile then delete all the carp it downloaded
    > (except the resulting file, of course.)
    > If you stop it or shut down, it remembers where it left off and
    > continues next time you run it.
    > It's pretty nice..!


    That's what I like about Grabit on Windows. It saves the batch file if you
    exit and will resume when you start it up again. Maybe I'll try out this
    hellanzb then, thanks.

  5. Re: Dedicated Usenet binary grabber?

    Fish wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:08:39 -0700, clay wrote:
    >
    >
    >> The link I pointed out uses hellanzb and makes a neat little program
    >> that you can have running, waiting for you to drop a nzb file in it, and
    >> off it goes.
    >> It'll dl rarfiles and enough parfiles (if required) to fix, combine and
    >> decode, extract the rarfile then delete all the carp it downloaded
    >> (except the resulting file, of course.)
    >> If you stop it or shut down, it remembers where it left off and
    >> continues next time you run it.
    >> It's pretty nice..!

    >
    > That's what I like about Grabit on Windows. It saves the batch file if you
    > exit and will resume when you start it up again. Maybe I'll try out this
    > hellanzb then, thanks.


    I don't know about hellanzb by itself. The python skript in the link
    uses it along with par2 and unrar to automate the process.
    I've only used it a couple times. Tweaked the skript a bit to save each
    completed file in a separate folder on a different directory and stuff...

+ Reply to Thread