Re: [OT] Windows XP install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [OT] Windows XP install - Ubuntu ; * johnny bobby bee wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > [ste parker] wrote: >> I can't remember how long slipstreaming took (although it's not long) >> but I don't feel it's fair to count that as adding to install time >> unless ...

  1. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    * johnny bobby bee wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > [ste parker] wrote:
    >> I can't remember how long slipstreaming took (although it's not long)
    >> but I don't feel it's fair to count that as adding to install time
    >> unless you take downloading and burning an Ubuntu ISO into account when
    >> installing there?

    > Not sure I buy this argument. You can purchase or order (for free) an
    > Ubuntu CD . You still have to purchase an XP
    > cd. Download Ubuntu if you wish, if you could download XP that'd be an
    > option too. Neither OS appears magically in your hands. Either way, you
    > first need a CD to install the OS. Slipstreaming is an added step, so
    > that adds to the install time, there's no need to slipstream an Ubuntu CD.

    slipstreaming is the creation of an install medium that has all the
    necessary SP's and hotfixes included in the install:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(computing)

    So technically, if you start with a slipstream install, you are
    installing a 'ready to go' OS, that is if MS hasn't released any
    patches/hotfixes since the time the slipstreamed media was created
    (highly unlikely).

    In the case of Ubuntu you must edit sources.lst and reload it and DL all
    the necessary patches. Yesterday I installed FF in a VirtualBox VM and
    there was 138 updates and well over 100 megs to DL to get current on a
    vanilla install. You could easily create a liveCD of FF with all the
    patches included and make your own Ubuntu slipstreamed CD as well

    --
    David

    Pascal Users:
    To show respect for the 313th anniversary (tomorrow) of the
    death of Blaise Pascal, your programs will be run at half speed.

  2. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:59:59 GMT
    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > In the case of Ubuntu you must edit sources.lst and reload it and DL all
    > the necessary patches. Yesterday I installed FF in a VirtualBox VM and
    > there was 138 updates and well over 100 megs to DL to get current on a
    > vanilla install. You could easily create a liveCD of FF with all the
    > patches included and make your own Ubuntu slipstreamed CD as well

    Did those patches come down at once or did they come in drips and make
    you reboot in between each load? And did one patch begat another, begat
    another... (with the obligatory reboot in between)?

    Unless you created the slipstream CD within 2 days of installing it
    then there will be updates for Windows.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  3. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:28:26 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Did those patches come down at once or did they come in drips and
    > make you reboot in between each load? And did one patch begat
    > another, begat another... (with the obligatory reboot in
    > between)?

    Most updates are installed without individual re-boots being
    required.

    > Unless you created the slipstream CD within 2 days of installing it
    > then there will be updates for Windows.

    Windows updates occur in monthly groups, issued on the second
    Tuesday (IIRC).

    --
    Chris Game

    "I've lost track of why and wherefore in this thread, but somehow
    I got involved in it and I feel morally obliged to keep going.
    I hope someone knows where we're going." -- Ed Cryer

  4. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:59:59 GMT
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    >> In the case of Ubuntu you must edit sources.lst and reload it and DL all
    >> the necessary patches. Yesterday I installed FF in a VirtualBox VM and
    >> there was 138 updates and well over 100 megs to DL to get current on a
    >> vanilla install. You could easily create a liveCD of FF with all the
    >> patches included and make your own Ubuntu slipstreamed CD as well

    > Did those patches come down at once or did they come in drips and make
    > you reboot in between each load? And did one patch begat another, begat
    > another... (with the obligatory reboot in between)?

    Neither CD would do that, Ubuntu or Windows if they are slipstreamed.

    > Unless you created the slipstream CD within 2 days of installing it
    > then there will be updates for Windows.

    For Ubuntu also, possibly not as many.

    --
    David

    what's the difference between chattr and chmod?
    SomeLamer: man chattr > 1; man chmod > 2; diff -u 1 2 | less
    -- Seen on #linux on irc

  5. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:20:02 GMT
    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:59:59 GMT
    > > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > >> In the case of Ubuntu you must edit sources.lst and reload it and DL all
    > >> the necessary patches. Yesterday I installed FF in a VirtualBox VM and
    > >> there was 138 updates and well over 100 megs to DL to get current on a
    > >> vanilla install. You could easily create a liveCD of FF with all the
    > >> patches included and make your own Ubuntu slipstreamed CD as well

    > > Did those patches come down at once or did they come in drips and make
    > > you reboot in between each load? And did one patch begat another, begat
    > > another... (with the obligatory reboot in between)?

    > Neither CD would do that, Ubuntu or Windows if they are slipstreamed.

    Don't you have to install the OS and patch it first to slipstream it?
    Not everyone starts from there, maybe going from one OS to another.

    I dug out a laptop today, I haven't used it since 9th July, I don't
    know if anyone else has used it since then. It was updated fully at
    that point for sure. It just downloaded 140MB of updates (one was
    optional but that was root cert update).

    So how often do you have to keep creating a slipstream CD to ensure you
    don't have lots of updates after install?

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  6. Re: [OT] Windows XP install

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:20:02 GMT
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    >> * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >> > Did those patches come down at once or did they come in drips and make
    >> > you reboot in between each load? And did one patch begat another, begat
    >> > another... (with the obligatory reboot in between)?

    >> Neither CD would do that, Ubuntu or Windows if they are slipstreamed.

    > Don't you have to install the OS and patch it first to slipstream it?
    > Not everyone starts from there, maybe going from one OS to another.

    > I dug out a laptop today, I haven't used it since 9th July, I don't
    > know if anyone else has used it since then. It was updated fully at
    > that point for sure. It just downloaded 140MB of updates (one was
    > optional but that was root cert update).

    > So how often do you have to keep creating a slipstream CD to ensure you
    > don't have lots of updates after install?

    I'd say, monthly.

    --
    David

    Changing husbands/wives is only changing troubles.
    -- Kathleen Norris

+ Reply to Thread