Trevor Best wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:26:23 +0200 (CEST)
> hazelkid wrote:
>
>> You can find the driver for your ati 9600 on the new amd.ati site: http://
>> ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html
>> Simply download the ati installer, chmod +x on it and run it. You can
>> install the driver that way or you can generate the packages for your
>> distribution.
>> Here's a little how to: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu
>> Just choose your ubuntu version and play along

> I found on the 9600 the bog standard one you get with Ubuntu (Feisty
> and Gutsy) worked better than the restricted drivers, which I presumed
> came from ATI. Are you saying this one is better?
>
> I like the way there's a Vista readiness adviser banner on that page

I agree on the restricted driver not being as stable as the standard
one. I had endless problems and had to revert, especially if you have a
DVA and VGA monitor enabled at the same time in dual head configuration.

So, one word of warning - before you start playing with these drivers,
always make sure you have a backup of your working xorg.conf. I wish I
had taken one!