Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC - Ubuntu ; Running a game server is not what I had in mind when I installed Wesnoth. Why is there no option in the UI to disable the server? Why isn't the user notified of this when installing the game? I only ...

  1. Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    Running a game server is not what I had in mind when I installed Wesnoth.
    Why is there no option in the UI to disable the server? Why isn't the
    user notified of this when installing the game? I only found out the
    server was running on my PC by looking at the process list. It was in
    sleep mode most of the time but would run about once per minute to look
    for connections, I assume. I read the man page for the game but saw no
    option to disable the server so removed it from my PC instead. Isn't
    running a server without a users permission a security risk?

  2. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    Fish, on 08/30/2007 05:55 PM said:
    > Running a game server is not what I had in mind when I installed Wesnoth.
    > Why is there no option in the UI to disable the server? Why isn't the
    > user notified of this when installing the game? I only found out the
    > server was running on my PC by looking at the process list. It was in
    > sleep mode most of the time but would run about once per minute to look
    > for connections, I assume. I read the man page for the game but saw no
    > option to disable the server so removed it from my PC instead. Isn't
    > running a server without a users permission a security risk?

    It can be, if the port is exposed to the Internet and can be connected to.

    I believe, however, that the game client requires the server to run. I
    am not sure, but I think that's the case. You can just take the output of:

    $ netstat -tanp

    Find the port that the server has open (you may need to widen your
    terminal to see that information) and then block the port from being
    connected to by outside computers. If you're already behind a NAT and
    are not (pseudo-)DMZ'd, then you should already be good to go unless you
    have reason to believe that you have malicious users on your network
    that would attempt to attack your system through the game server.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty! http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  3. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:20:23 -0400, Michael
    Trausch <"mike|s/\\x40/\\./g;s/|.*|/\\x40/g;|trausch"@us> wrote:

    > Fish, on 08/30/2007 05:55 PM said:
    >> Running a game server is not what I had in mind when I installed Wesnoth.
    >> Why is there no option in the UI to disable the server? Why isn't the
    >> user notified of this when installing the game? I only found out the
    >> server was running on my PC by looking at the process list. It was in
    >> sleep mode most of the time but would run about once per minute to look
    >> for connections, I assume. I read the man page for the game but saw no
    >> option to disable the server so removed it from my PC instead. Isn't
    >> running a server without a users permission a security risk?

    > It can be, if the port is exposed to the Internet and can be connected to.
    >
    > I believe, however, that the game client requires the server to run. I
    > am not sure, but I think that's the case.

    No, it doesn't. The server is required only if you want to host
    multiplayer games.

    There should be two separate Ubuntu packages - wesnoth and
    wesnoth-server. It's possible that wesnoth-server is recommended or
    suggested by wesnoth and that's how it came to be installed.

    --
    PJR :-)

  4. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    Peter J Ross, on 08/30/2007 08:27 PM said:

    > No, it doesn't. The server is required only if you want to host
    > multiplayer games.
    >
    > There should be two separate Ubuntu packages - wesnoth and
    > wesnoth-server. It's possible that wesnoth-server is recommended or
    > suggested by wesnoth and that's how it came to be installed.

    Hrm.

    Just looked at the apt-cache, and it seems that the regular wesnoth
    package doesn't pull wesnoth-server... but wesnoth-all does.

    To the OP: Did you install wesnoth-all, or just wenoth?

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty! http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  5. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:20:23 -0400, Michael Trausch wrote:

    > It can be, if the port is exposed to the Internet and can be connected to.
    >
    > I believe, however, that the game client requires the server to run. I
    > am not sure, but I think that's the case. You can just take the output of:
    >
    > $ netstat -tanp
    >
    > Find the port that the server has open (you may need to widen your
    > terminal to see that information) and then block the port from being
    > connected to by outside computers. If you're already behind a NAT and
    > are not (pseudo-)DMZ'd, then you should already be good to go unless you
    > have reason to believe that you have malicious users on your network
    > that would attempt to attack your system through the game server.
    >
    > -- Mike

    I do have a firewall on my router and have also installed Firestarter but
    I still don't want a game server running in the background. Anyway, I've
    deleted the game now so it is ok. I've got plenty of PC games that are
    better than this one and similar too, like Heroes of M&M III.

  6. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:27:36 +0000, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > There should be two separate Ubuntu packages - wesnoth and
    > wesnoth-server. It's possible that wesnoth-server is recommended or
    > suggested by wesnoth and that's how it came to be installed.

    I never chose WesnothD to be installed. I chose just Wesnoth in the
    add/remove programs but what I think happened is that I had enabled all
    repositories in Synaptic package manager and that went and got a wack of
    updates and installed WesnothD without me realizing it. Even after
    uninstalling Wesnoth from add/remove WesnothD server was still
    running and that was when I realized it was installed via Synaptic and
    uninstalled the server from there.

  7. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:13:39 -0400, Michael Trausch wrote:

    > Hrm.
    >
    > Just looked at the apt-cache, and it seems that the regular wesnoth
    > package doesn't pull wesnoth-server... but wesnoth-all does.
    >
    > To the OP: Did you install wesnoth-all, or just wenoth?
    >
    > -- Mike

    Just Wesnoth but I had enabled Multiverse etc. and that installed it as an
    update to the game. User error I guess.

  8. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    Fish, on 09/01/2007 11:06 AM said:

    > I never chose WesnothD to be installed. I chose just Wesnoth in the
    > add/remove programs but what I think happened is that I had enabled all
    > repositories in Synaptic package manager and that went and got a wack of
    > updates and installed WesnothD without me realizing it. Even after
    > uninstalling Wesnoth from add/remove WesnothD server was still
    > running and that was when I realized it was installed via Synaptic and
    > uninstalled the server from there.

    A-ha!

    The Add/Remove Programs control program installs pretty much all the
    recommended deps as well as the required and suggested ones. It's not
    as fine-grained as the package manager Synaptic is. You can uninstall
    wesnoth-server (the package) using Synaptic, and you should be just fine
    (it's recommended by the "wesnoth" package, but not required).

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!
    (And Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, too!) http://www.trausch.us/pidgin

  9. Re: Battle for Wesnoth game installed a server on my PC

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 22:38:13 -0400, Michael Trausch wrote:

    > A-ha!
    >
    > The Add/Remove Programs control program installs pretty much all the
    > recommended deps as well as the required and suggested ones. It's not
    > as fine-grained as the package manager Synaptic is. You can uninstall
    > wesnoth-server (the package) using Synaptic, and you should be just fine
    > (it's recommended by the "wesnoth" package, but not required).
    >
    > -- Mike

    OK, thanks, maybe I'll install it again later without the server. Got
    Neverwinter Nights installed in Ubuntu by following instructions on the
    Ubuntu forums so that will keep me occupied for a long time anyway.

+ Reply to Thread