Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: I'm impressed - Ubuntu ; Stephan Rose wrote: > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote: > > > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:36:54 GMT > > Fish wrote: > > > >> I've read Vista is very good at reconfiguring ...

  1. Re: I'm impressed

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:36:54 GMT
    > > Fish wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've read Vista is very good at reconfiguring the hardware. Even

    > changing >> the mb doesn't take it down. Microsoft also has a utility
    > called 'sysprep' >> for installing one image of the OS onto many
    > hardware configs too. Not to >> bash Ubuntu but just changing your
    > monitor can become a PITA on Linux. On >> XP and Vista doing that is
    > a piece of cake.
    > >
    > > Until it makes you re-activate :-)
    > >
    > > I'm sure people have written lots, have you actually done it? Or
    > > know someone that has? From what I hear from a lot of people
    > > running Vista, me included is that it can have a lot of problems
    > > running on just the one computer let alone moving from one to
    > > another.
    > >
    > > I've changed a monitor in Linux, no problems. What problems have you
    > > had doing it?
    > >

    > It's probably not a problem between two monitors that use the same
    > resolutions at the same refresh rate, but I can see how it could be a
    > problem switching between monitors that are different in size,
    > resolution and refresh rate as you would need to update your
    > xorg.conf to be able to use the new monitor.
    >
    > Though that is supposed to be addressed in Gutsy with hotplugable
    > monitor support.

    Except, I'm Using Gutsy and the the Screens and Resolution GUI doesnt
    work at all on my PC. It screws up xorg.conf enough so gome doesn't
    start.

    The rest of it is amazingly good though. It installed on my new
    DP35 motherboard without any issues. Feisty didnt recognise the
    on-board network.

    Chas

    --

  2. Re: I'm impressed

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:00:46 +0000, Chas wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    >> changing >> the mb doesn't take it down. Microsoft also has a utility
    >> called 'sysprep' >> for installing one image of the OS onto many
    >> hardware configs too. Not to >> bash Ubuntu but just changing your
    >> monitor can become a PITA on Linux. On >> XP and Vista doing that is
    >> a piece of cake.
    >> >
    >> > Until it makes you re-activate :-)
    >> >
    >> > I'm sure people have written lots, have you actually done it? Or
    >> > know someone that has? From what I hear from a lot of people
    >> > running Vista, me included is that it can have a lot of problems
    >> > running on just the one computer let alone moving from one to
    >> > another.
    >> >
    >> > I've changed a monitor in Linux, no problems. What problems have you
    >> > had doing it?
    >> >

    >> It's probably not a problem between two monitors that use the same
    >> resolutions at the same refresh rate, but I can see how it could be a
    >> problem switching between monitors that are different in size,
    >> resolution and refresh rate as you would need to update your
    >> xorg.conf to be able to use the new monitor.
    >>
    >> Though that is supposed to be addressed in Gutsy with hotplugable
    >> monitor support.

    > Except, I'm Using Gutsy and the the Screens and Resolution GUI doesnt
    > work at all on my PC. It screws up xorg.conf enough so gome doesn't
    > start.

    It's Alpha/Beta...expect it. =)

    > The rest of it is amazingly good though. It installed on my new
    > DP35 motherboard without any issues. Feisty didnt recognise the
    > on-board network.

    Yep I nearly fell over in surprise when I saw the restricted manager
    detect the broadcom wireless card. Still need the firmware off from the
    windows driver though.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: I'm impressed

    Chas illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:36:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    >> changing >> the mb doesn't take it down. Microsoft also has a utility
    >> called 'sysprep' >> for installing one image of the OS onto many
    >> hardware configs too. Not to >> bash Ubuntu but just changing your
    >> monitor can become a PITA on Linux. On >> XP and Vista doing that is
    >> a piece of cake.
    >> >
    >> > Until it makes you re-activate :-)
    >> >
    >> > I'm sure people have written lots, have you actually done it? Or
    >> > know someone that has? From what I hear from a lot of people
    >> > running Vista, me included is that it can have a lot of problems
    >> > running on just the one computer let alone moving from one to
    >> > another.
    >> >
    >> > I've changed a monitor in Linux, no problems. What problems have you
    >> > had doing it?
    >> >

    >> It's probably not a problem between two monitors that use the same
    >> resolutions at the same refresh rate, but I can see how it could be a
    >> problem switching between monitors that are different in size,
    >> resolution and refresh rate as you would need to update your
    >> xorg.conf to be able to use the new monitor.
    >>
    >> Though that is supposed to be addressed in Gutsy with hotplugable
    >> monitor support.

    > Except, I'm Using Gutsy and the the Screens and Resolution GUI doesnt
    > work at all on my PC. It screws up xorg.conf enough so gome doesn't
    > start.

    Xorg 7.3 has yet to be incorporated into Gutsy. It will be shortly.
    You'll notice that all of the HAL libraries are being upgraded now.
    Xorg will follow shortly. Make sure you have a back up of xorg.conf
    prior to allowing the update manager to do its stuff though, just in
    case.

    > The rest of it is amazingly good though. It installed on my new
    > DP35 motherboard without any issues. Feisty didnt recognise the
    > on-board network.

    Indeed. With every new release comes slicker hardware recognition and
    support.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."