I was interested by this compilation on OSX 10.4. I followed the same
Bombich instructions, and I thought I was successful, since I have
found the following in the /usr/local/bin directory with today's date:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1011412 Nov 8 14:46 rsync

Hovever when I perform the command rsync --version, I still find the
old version:

rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
etc.....

I though that adding the following in my ~/.profile file would help,
but no change

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

Any idea on how to solve this? I must admit I am a beginner ....

Rgds