On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:33:05 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> You need to pass -A to preserve ACLs. -X does not process "system.*"
> extended attributes.

Sorry. I actually [think I] know that, but copied the wrong test.
As you'll see below, -A yields the same results:

[root@house0 t]# getfacl f1 f2
# file: f1
# owner: adm
# group: sys
user::r-x
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x

getfacl: f2: No such file or directory
[root@house0 t]# rsync -aA -v --itemize-changes f1 f2
sending incremental file list
>f+++++++++ f1

sent 77 bytes received 31 bytes 216.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
[root@house0 t]# getfacl f1 f2
# file: f1
# owner: adm
# group: sys
user::r-x
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x

# file: f2
# owner: adm
# group: sys
user::r-x
group::r-x
other::r-x

[root@house0 t]#

As far as I can tell, this is somehow the result of the
particular ACL state of f1. If I tweak it slightly, all
works as one would expect. For example:

[root@house0 t]# setfacl -m u:andrew:r-x f1
[root@house0 t]# getfacl f1 f2
# file: f1
# owner: adm
# group: sys
user::r-x
user:andrew:r-x
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x

getfacl: f2: No such file or directory
[root@house0 t]# rsync -aA -v --itemize-changes f1 f2
sending incremental file list
>f+++++++++ f1

sent 88 bytes received 31 bytes 238.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
[root@house0 t]# getfacl f1 f2
# file: f1
# owner: adm