Hedley J. Phillips wrote:
> Question 2:
> The time taken to run the command is the same with or without the
> switch. Why is this? I would expect the command with the no whole file
> switch to run faster as it only has to transfer a portion of the entire
> file.

Do you mean precisely the same, or maybe just felt similar ?

Either way - to know which portion(s) to transfer, rsync has to read
(and process) the file on both ends, and update the destination file

With --whole-file it's just read here, write there. If the bandwidth for
the transfer is large, it will likely be faster.